So first off I have a PRS SE Custom 24, stock pickups, which I was debating over whether or not I'd swap em in the future. Today while playing, I selected the neck pickup and I noticed that on some of my frets, theres this weird, "dead" sound, almost like a loss of volume. My first reaction were bad frets or something, but when I switched to the bridge again, every note on every fret sang out perfect. Has anyone experienced something like this?
Quote by mikeYekim
Shard rst off I have a PRS SE Custom 24, stock pickups, which I was debating over whether or not I'd swap em in the future. Today while playing, I selected the neck pickup and I noticed that on some of my frets, theres this weird, "dead" sound, almost like a loss of volume. My first reaction were bad frets or something, but when I switched to the bridge again, every note on every fret sang out perfect. Has anyone experienced something like this?

are the pickups the same height? it also isn't hard to check solder joints.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I checked the solder joints, they look fine, I raised the pickup a bit, I'll check tomorrow to see if there was a difference made.
just so i'm clear, some of the fretted notes are quieter than others on the neck pup?

or the overall volume is quieter when you switch from the bridge pup to the neck?
Alright, I raised the pickup quite a bit, and it seemed to help. It's some of the frets, basically at about the 12th fret I notice it, and it gets slightly worse from there. It's basically like the note isn't singing out like it should, whereas the bridge pickup I don't hear any issues whatsoever.
Quote by mikeYekim
Alright, I raised the pickup quite a bit, and it seemed to help. It's some of the frets, basically at about the 12th fret I notice it, and it gets slightly worse from there. It's basically like the note isn't singing out like it should, whereas the bridge pickup I don't hear any issues whatsoever.

You could have a raised fret or just a poorly setup guitar.
You may want to take it into a shop for a setup. Tell him you want to watch if possible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I'm taking it to a shop this weekend, hopefully they'll be able to fix the issue!
Make sure to be specific about the problem your having. It does sound like pickup height or something.

Eventually maybe you want different pups. We are the last people you should be asking that question. Well, last being third, after yourself and I suppose your wife... or whatever you have, I don't know you.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Make sure to be specific about the problem your having. It does sound like pickup height or something.

Eventually maybe you want different pups. We are the last people you should be asking that question. Well, last being third, after yourself and I suppose your wife... or whatever you have, I don't know you.

I agree, be very clear and detailed about the issue, the worst thing that is that if you aren't detailed enough and go back in a few weeks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Is this on a clean setting on your amp? If not...try that first.

I actually get this issue when I have my Way Huge Green Rhino pedal set to a certain setting (can't remember exactly now)...but it has to have the drive up to a certain level, and some other settings too...

It only happens on the neck pickup, G-string and around frets 12-14. It's as if all the mids and highs get sucked into a vaccuum and the only thing left is some lows that have pretty much zero definition. Imagine if you could turn the tone knob 3-4 more turns down and you're there.

So what I'm getting at is that it might be some particular configuration of pedals/amp settings that is causing it.

For me, it's 100% that one setting on the Green Rhino. It never happened when using any other pedals.
It happens on all my guitars (to a *very* slightly varying degree) on the neck pickup and it doesn't matter if I play through my 5153 or my ENGL Retro Tube amp.

So to re-iterate.
Play on a clean channel if you're not already. Secondly start twisting knobs on your amp to see if it goes away.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
When I was a wee lad, I found the frequency at which my room resonated or whatever. So I would create little jams that led up to that note, and it was good.

I tried it on a bunch of settings and the clean setting was where I noticed it most, probably because there wasn't anything on to mask it.
Do you have a recording? The concept of "weird, "dead" sound, almost like a loss of volume" can be very subjective, and what you're experiencing could be as simple as dead notes?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I am not sure if its possible, could terrible intonation do it?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!