Craziork
575 IQ
To me it was more around the Pop Punk genre. Its like you took the softest metalcore band and you ask them to only play chords.
EpiExplorer
orsonfacenospace
5,559 IQ
ned moar brokadonas
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Zaqq
1,014 IQ
Are you kidding us? It's not metalcore. But... it's better. Sounds like a nice upbeat alt rock thing.
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
One Direction-Core. For some reason, I'm always expecting it to go into "AND WE DANCED ALL NIGHT TO THE BEST SONG EVER etc etc". I didn't like it, but I can't deny you've wrote a nice pop song, pretty good melodies, pretty bland chord progressions and arrangements, but, it's a Pop song, not a Baroque piece, overall, good, I liked the change to double time in the prechorus/chorus, and I reckon it'd sound great if you were to record it.
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Not metal or *core. Still cute. Reminds me of One Direction or These Hearts covering "We R Who We R" by Ke$ha. Would probably be really catchy with vocals. I'd suggest dropping the double-time pattern in the prechorus, it doesn't fit the rest of the song at all.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Sep 23, 2013,
Rokkstar
1,773 IQ
Are you sure this isn't metalcore...? What is metalcore? Examples?
Craziork
575 IQ
Metalcore is:

Miss May I - Relentless Chaos

TDWP - ATTRM

some exemples of chugging the open strings, lead guitars, root note riffs, sreaming vocals, pop clean vocals, not too much technical guitar playing (there are some metalcore band that are actually very technical but most aren't)

And some metalcore by me I've never uploaded:
Attachments:
Everything Happens So Much.gp5
Regrets.gp5
Marathon.2.gp5
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by Craziork
What is now commonly refereed to as Metalcore, despite having nothing to do with Hardcore and only certain tangential links to Metal and should probably be called PopCore or NuMetalcore is:

Miss May I - Relentless Chaos

TDWP - ATTRM

some exemples of chugging the open strings, lead guitars, root note riffs, sreaming vocals, pop clean vocals, not too much technical guitar playing (there are some metalcore band that are actually very technical but most aren't)

FTFY

Here's some modern tr00 metalcore for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_sFelPyeig

Good shit yo, but I don't hate on "metalcore", some of it's fun, I like ABR and that kinda thing. I'll actually crit OP's song in a second.

Edit: Right... Jesus I can see where the "onedirectioncore" jokes are coming from. This is realistically too happy sounding to be called ANY kind of metal. I mean some genres are good at conveying positive emotions... Metal and any of it's linked genres are not it. This is Pop-Rock, nothing else. It's rather solidly constructed pop-rock despite it's repetitiveness and with some vocals it could easily go on the radio, but it's not really that amazing.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 24, 2013,
Craziork
575 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
FTFY

Here's some modern tr00 metalcore for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_sFelPyeig

Good shit yo, but I don't hate on "metalcore", some of it's fun, I like ABR and that kinda thing. I'll actually crit OP's song in a second.

Edit: Right... Jesus I can see where the "onedirectioncore" jokes are coming from. This is realistically too happy sounding to be called ANY kind of metal. I mean some genres are good at conveying positive emotions... Metal and any of it's linked genres are not it. This is Pop-Rock, nothing else. It's rather solidly constructed pop-rock despite it's repetitiveness and with some vocals it could easily go on the radio, but it's not really that amazing.

Calm your tits... He asked for metalcore I gave him metalcore. Fix your ****ing head and know your place. And ''numetalcore'' ... stop making up genre acting like a metal historian. Thank you.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
I'm perfectly calm man, you're the one getting all worked up and shouty. Chill out, you might learn something about how genres work.

If you want me to dude I can sit you down and explain why technically Miss May I aren't really metalcore but why they and lots of bands like them are still called metalcore (which is why people come up with other names to describe them, like numetalcore.) It's all about knowing your shit brosef and not many people care enough to know their shit.

And anyway... what does it matter if they're not metalcore... the music can still be good!

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 24, 2013,
Craziork
575 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
I'm perfectly calm man, you're the one getting all worked up and shouty. Chill out, you might learn something about how genres work.

If you want me to dude I can sit you down and explain why technically Miss May I aren't really metalcore but why they and lots of bands like them are still called metalcore (which is why people come up with other names to describe them, like numetalcore.) It's all about knowing your shit brosef and not many people care enough to know their shit.

And anyway... what does it matter if they're not metalcore... the music can still be good!

This is exactly what I'm talking about... You just won't shut it about the genres... In the first place I was giving directions to the Thread starter on how to sound metalcore and then you had to be THAT dude...
Dregen
-
2,365 IQ
Quote by Craziork
This is exactly what I'm talking about... You just won't shut it about the genres... In the first place I was giving directions to the Thread starter on how to sound metalcore and then you had to be THAT dude...

actually, i was that dude because i did it first...

Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Quote by Craziork

Dude. Chill. It's like this happens with every metalcore thread; someone says anything slightly negative, and you valiantly charge forth to defend the honor of the noble scene. You're white knighting a whole subgenre.
Just stop. "Defending" the music you listen to isn't worth getting worked up, or starting forum drama, over. Especially not if you go from "calm your tits" to "fix your ****ing head and know your place" in the same post.
Craziork
575 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
Dude. Chill. It's like this happens with every metalcore thread; someone says anything slightly negative, and you valiantly charge forth to defend the honor of the noble scene. You're white knighting a whole subgenre.
Just stop. "Defending" the music you listen to isn't worth getting worked up, or starting forum drama, over. Especially not if you go from "calm your tits" to "fix your ****ing head and know your place" in the same post.

I know it's not the first time I get to be in an argument here and I hate it but it's like that. It keeps happening because people take a step or two a bit too far and I don't restrain myself to tell'em. But let's make it clear... I'm not a metalcore maniac, I'm not making myself a white knight and I'm ****in' calm right now. lol.
And if you check it out, I was the one trying to help the TS, not trying to expose some kind of knowledge about some underground bands where a single band is considered to be a genre itself.

And no Dregen you were not starting this.
Last edited by Craziork at Sep 25, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Okay guys, music lesson time if you're interested, it is even relevant to the OP as it should give a good outline of Metalcore actually is.

Metalcore = Metal + Hardcore

That was the classical definition that was used to describe bands in the 80's and 90's that mixed the two genres together; at least jokingly it was sometimes used as short hand for Metallic Hardcore. You're looking at bands like Cave In, Deadguy, Groundwork, Converge and perhaps most importantly for this little piece, Shai Hulud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njGeGBBa1XA

This is where it's important to look at what I call the "three phases of metalcore" which are:
- Original Metallic Hardcore
- Good intentions
- What the fuq is this shit?

The first stage we have looked at. The second stage is where bands like Killswitch Engange come from (fun fact, members of KsE were in a short lived and kinda crappy Metallic Hardcore band.) Who took Scandinavian Melodic Death Metal and added the FAINTEST OF FAINT touches of Hardcore music (whilst trying to sound like Shai Hulud) and Americanized the whole thing, to the point where it basically wasn't noticeable. Since this era of "metalcore" it is highly derivative of itself (for the most part) the more obvious elements of Americanized (and often simplified) Melodeath were exemplified till all trace elements of actual hardcore were removed and it became watered down metal. Really the second era of Metalcore is just Metal; good or bad is down to taste.

Now the third stage is what we're in now, no riffs, just breakdowns upon breakdowns. Breakdowns were prevalent in both previous eras but Metallic Hardcore breakdowns weren't always open chugs. The second stage introduced the breakdown element as we know it today which was then taken by the third stage and expanded upon 'till breakdowns were all that remained. There is NOTHING hardcore about this and barely anything relating to "real" metal beyond the guitar tone.

So if you're talking about Metalcore = Metal + Hardcore, which many still do. The only era that actually fits that description is the first. As the second era had trace if any and the third has none what-so-ever. Which is why some people are hesitant to actually call some bands Metalcore, despite what everyone else might say.

This is NOT to say that any of the bands from any era are better than worse than each other. That is subjective and down to taste, what is here is a rough objective outline of the progression of the genre, or at least the three very separate sounds that for some reason are all called one genre. Bands still form that sound like era 1 and 2 bands, it's not really a concrete time-line, more a charting of change.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 25, 2013,