I tried to combine the guitar sound from "master of puppets" and mix it with the "black album" tone from Metallica
Last edited by Metal Turtle at Sep 23, 2013,
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dat tone.... did you record this in mono or something? I really like the tone but its a little phasey (actually how did you pan the guitars? that may be it) anyway the song is really nice too I didn't know people could still make metal like that but you really nailed it. That deserves a follow
You definitely nailed the tone you wanted! And definitely kept it thrashy. A lot of it sounds a lot like stuff Metallica Master or Justice era would write. If you ever get deep into music theory you'll get into something called phrasing, which is where i felt you lacked slightly. I feel that some riffs had a cool idea and then you went to a totally new riff that had nothing to do with the last, and even though thrash is all about different riffs, I feel like you could still bring in some of the ideas of the previous riff.

check my metal track out
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1617806
Last edited by Raynosa at Sep 23, 2013,
Quote by Walpurgis
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dat tone.... did you record this in mono or something? I really like the tone but its a little phasey (actually how did you pan the guitars? that may be it) anyway the song is really nice too I didn't know people could still make metal like that but you really nailed it. That deserves a follow

Hey thanks man, and I'll follow back.

The way I recorded was by I had one guitar in middle speaker, one on left and one on right do give it a full wall of sound . I think its more noticeable with head phones (to me) And the style of riffs were mostly chug chug riffs, palm muting etc. Its old school , but its my school

-MT
Quote by Raynosa
You definitely nailed the tone you wanted! And definitely kept it thrashy. A lot of it sounds a lot like stuff Metallica Master or Justice era would write. If you ever get deep into music theory you'll get into something called phrasing, which is where i felt you lacked slightly. I feel that some riffs had a cool idea and then you went to a totally new riff that had nothing to do with the last, and even though thrash is all about different riffs, I feel like you could still bring in some of the ideas of the previous riff.

check my metal track out
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1617806

Thanks man, that's good to hear. I used to base my tone from "And Justice..." but some were noticing how thin it was sounding, and I started to as well after. The tone influenced the riffs somewhat. I do want to dig deeper into music theory , I'll definitely keep the phrasing I mind

I'll comment my C4C from your link

-MT
Quote by aaron aardvark
MetalTurtle,
A little loud on the high frequencies for me, but I'm sensitive to that. Otherwise good guitar tone. The guitar riffs are mostly good, but I'd like to hear some bass & drums with this. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31932015#post31932015

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for listening, you always listen to my stuff , The frequency will be tweaked due do this matter, (I hear it too) but hopefully with drums and bass it wont be to noticeable, I will comment your track from the link.

-MT
Hey dude i listened o it twice and its hard its fast and its heavy.. and i like it Im not rlly sure what else to say about it coz its not my style and I'm not totally on board with how heavy stuff like this worls but youv got a good track here man.. i did the chugging along of it all! Well done dude!
Wow dude, your guitar sound is perfect! Is that a plugin-sound?

The riffs on "Blinded" aren't bad either! I found myself table-drumming on this.
Really like the tone! You definately got a AJFA sound in the guitar. I really like the intro but then I feel like the mixing makes a lot of the song suffer. You should try to not pan the guitars that extreme for future mixes. around the two-minute mark you have a good mix but then you once again return to the (in my opinion) too panned sound.

How long did it take you to write this song idea?

Here is my bands songs you can just give some critique on one of them if you want:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618100
Quote by kyladie
Wow dude, your guitar sound is perfect! Is that a plugin-sound?

The riffs on "Blinded" aren't bad either! I found myself table-drumming on this.

Thanks! The guitar sound is all Digital, there's no way I can afford a sound like this lol. There's a group that I'm in involved with who specialize in "Impulse Responses". This tone is a replicated version of Metallica's Master of puppets guitar sound, mixed with the Black album guitar sound.

Thanks for listening!
Quote by Zerath
Really like the tone! You definately got a AJFA sound in the guitar. I really like the intro but then I feel like the mixing makes a lot of the song suffer. You should try to not pan the guitars that extreme for future mixes. around the two-minute mark you have a good mix but then you once again return to the (in my opinion) too panned sound.

How long did it take you to write this song idea?

Here is my bands songs you can just give some critique on one of them if you want:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618100

Thanks! I wanted a Metallica sound that would replicate that old school feel , Ill definitely take this is consideration about the panning. I was experimenting with some ideas, this is a new project and these were the riffs that keep coming up when I'm writing so I just it record .

It took me about a week or so. I usually try and record riffs right away becuas ei know I've had some riffs were I'm like, "I can't believe I didn't record that, how does it go?".

I'll give your track a review on through your link! Thanks for listening!
Quote by ToastedAndButte
Hey dude i listened o it twice and its hard its fast and its heavy.. and i like it Im not rlly sure what else to say about it coz its not my style and I'm not totally on board with how heavy stuff like this worls but youv got a good track here man.. i did the chugging along of it all! Well done dude!

Cool man! Im glad you enjoyed it!
Thanks for your insight man.

I am really picky when it comes to Thrash. This is pretty solid though. I really dig that riff that starts around the 1:00 mark. What did you record guitar with?
Thanks for your review!

On your song: Great intro, I think the guitars sound great. I think a lot of people may talk about having a lot of highs but that's fine, it should sit perfectly in a mix. It doesn't have a whole lot of mids and lows which is good, the guitars will shine in the mix. Nice tight playing though, solid. Sometimes I felt like the editing could be improved. For example, at 00:40 when the left guitar chord just comes in, this could be recorded more on time :P. Great otherwise. Cheers