I bought my Ironheart head used. and its a hell of an amp. But Its not as tight as what I had expected. I heard the Ironheart could get into 6505 territory. but "Bigger"

and its plenty Big in the sound department. But no matter how i dial it in I just cant get it to get super tight for modern metal...... even Killswitch.... witch uses these things now.

Took a look inside and the TAD 6l6 set had been switched out for some EHX el43s..... Im wondering if going back to 6l6 would be a better option for what im trying to do.
El34's are generally tighter than 6L6's but the latter is bigger sounding. In laneys, the ones that allow to switch between either of those two tube types, this difference is noticeable. So you may benefit from the switch, although I'd get the bias checked, the switch on the back panel doesn't auto-bias for precision.

But what speakers do you have & have you tried a TS type pedal to see if it helped tighten it up?
Im using the Laney 2x12 that was designed for the ironheart.. has laney speakers... their specs seem to be close to the t-12 75

KSE doesnt use Tube screamers anymore (seen backstage VIP neither of their rigs have em)
and they use the ironheart... they were pretty damn tight.

I have quite a few different TS' at home but im about 1000 miles from em now hah.
HH Invaders that are in your cab aren't highly regarded. There is a strong possibility that the cabs KSE were using didn't have those speakers stock in it as well.

But you could give the 6L6's a shot anyway, if anything you will know what the amp sounds like with those in it. I'd swap those speakers out first though for major improvement lol
Are you using a Tubescreamer to boost it? Because even 6505s are not tight at all like you hear in the recordings without a boost, and an EQ in the loop. The reality of amps by themselves is much different than recordings imply.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You're right, KsE DON'T use Tubescreamers...

But they DO use Maxon 808s. Which, if you didn't know, are Tubescreamers.

Not meaning to sound condescending or patronising in any way.

I have an IRT60h, the built in boost IMO is quite usable, but throwing a TS in front of the amp opens up a whole new level for an already damn good amp.

IMO, again, the Ironhearts cab isn't the greatest. Killswitch primarily use Mesa 4x12s with V30s.

If you're on a tight budget pick up a Digitech bad monkey, or a Joyo Vintage Drive (I think that's the TS clone), set gain to 0, level up high (if not full), and the tone knob(s) to taste, and you will REALLY feel the difference
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
EL34L is another option you may not have considered. They're bigger and beefier than a normal EL34. Sorta like the big bottom of the 6L6 while retaining the growl of an EL34 when cranked. JJ make a good one.

Tbh though, it doesn't make a huge difference when they aren't distorting. The biggest difference is when you are diming them and you wouldn't be doing that probably, well not to do what you want. So it's pretty moot. 6L6, EL34, EL34L, 6CA7? Not a huge diff.
Now experimenting with tubescreamer type things like EQ - well that would make a far bigger impact. Grab yourself an EQ pedal. Get one with a global volume, makes it easier to dial in as a boost. MXR 10 band if you can afford it, Danelectro Fish & Chips if you can't.
Timmies are good too.

And load the preamp up with JJ's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks cathbard I was waitin for you to chime in!.
Ill play with her a bit more. Might have my deadhorse shipped to me.

And thanks mick. as if I havnt been all over this site with My Love for TS circuits.
They may have used a TS in recording. but as I said I saw their live gear set up backstage granted yes this was right after they switched from splawn nitro to the ironheart. and I assume they were still playing around with tone... but from what I saw. no OD of any sort was on adams floor board.
Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Thanks cathbard I was waitin for you to chime in!.
Ill play with her a bit more. Might have my deadhorse shipped to me.

And thanks mick. as if I havnt been all over this site with My Love for TS circuits.
They may have used a TS in recording. but as I said I saw their live gear set up backstage granted yes this was right after they switched from splawn nitro to the ironheart. and I assume they were still playing around with tone... but from what I saw. no OD of any sort was on adams floor board.

Are you playing at the volumes KSE play at live?

My experience has shown me that the louder you play, the less "stuff" you need, as far as boosts/TS, comp, etc. go.

Rather, you can get away with using less if you're playing loud as shit. Your tone naturally tightens up/compresses with high volumes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Offworld.. I put this into factor as well. I have been playin with the watts knob (these have a variable watt control) and i got her to push the tubes a bit harder at low volume and yeah this helped. I guess I just expected a tighter amp in general. I have no doubt when I get my deadhorse here it will be sweet