hello,
hello,
I'm new to the world of tube amps and my question is:

what are some good (not extremely expensive) metal amps? How much should I spend to get something decent-good? I play standard tuning, but also drop d and drop c and standard c. Children of bodom, metallica, slayer, arch enemy are the bands i play the most! i play at home but soon i'll have a room to play with a friend of mine (who plays drums)
head and cab combo would be better
I don't really have a budget in mind, but I would certainly buy these thing used to save some money (or to get better stuff for the same money)
Peavey 6505/6505+/5150/5150 II

It's pretty much THE metal amp, great sounding and rather affordable especially used.
That and a 2x12 with Celestion V30s make a solid metal rig already.
If you can't afford it, there an affordable 1x12 combo version of the 6505+.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
It really depends on the budget.

A Peavey Vypyr tube 60 is a nice metal amp for the price,
then if you can go up you could get a 6505/6505+/6534,
and if you can go even upper you could get a 5150 III.

Depending on what kinda sound you prefer too though, you could also take a look at some Orange Terrors or Rockerverbs or a Laney Ironheart for a britisher, crunchier sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
if you're in europe (maybe even america) jet cities are pretty hard to beat for the price. Assuming you don't need too modern of a sound (they're more of an 80s high gain type of tone that super-modern)- from the sounds of the stuff you play, you don't need super modern.

just be careful because not all of the jet city models are high gain. the 50 and 100 watt heads are, as is the jca22h head and combo, and the 50 watt 1x12 combo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what do you mean by modern/non-modern sound? what do you think about the marshall jvm?
Firstly, try this out:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Putting your info. in that format makes it really easy to reference and therefore better help you.

Second, to respond to your JVM inquiry I don't like them, but they are recognized as a pretty decent amp and can do a variety of sounds including some metal tones. I think they are fizzy and a bit harsh, but that's just me, considering that 3 of the 4 bands you listed tend to gravitate towards British flavored amps it might be a good idea.

As far as the difference between modern/non-modern voiced distortion, think of Slayer and (old) Metallica as less modern sounding and Arch Enemy as more modern sounding with COB somewhere in the middle. It is just a way for us to define certain characteristics of tone, such as how tight a tone is.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by rickyvanh
I have a Peavey 5150 2x12 combo I need to sell, where do you live ?

Let's try to keep the self advertising down to a minimum dude, there is a classifieds section for a reason, he's asking for recommendations not for people to try and throw gear at him.
- I would like to get a totally new rig (including the guitar), so my budget for the amp is 700
- I play heavy metal (arch enemy, children of bodom, heaven shall burn, wintersun, metallica...) sometimes i need clean as well
- I will buy it used, to save some money
- I mostly play at home, but I'm planning to play with some friends
- I live in north italy (Bolzano), I would drive a couple of hours, no problem
- I have a Fender Mustang I V2 20w amd an a Jackson starter Guitar

I love the COB and arch enemy guitars, I'm aiming for that sound!

Thanks for all the help!
Just to be as specific as possible, are there any particular albums/songs from COB/Arch Enemy that you really want to nail? They have both had some pretty significant changes in gear and depending on the time period have used pretty different gear.

Just based on what you have told I am thinking that a 5150 combo may not be a bad idea, though I don't know how available they are to you in Italy.

Besides that, something like a Laney VH series or Ironheart series may do what you want. You definitely want something tight (I would recommend getting a Tubescreamer-style pedal with whatever amp you buy) and a bit of a British flavor wouldn't hurt and it would get you close to the COB sound which is usually a Marshall.
^ i reckon for those tones he could do worse than a jet city. especially for the prices they go for in europe. You can pay twice as much and get something not as nice for the prices they go for in europe (for high gain tones, anyway).

cleans are not amazing on the jet cities, though- they have a crunch channel and a high gain lead channel, rather than a dedicated clean channel. I actually don't mind the cleans on mine, but they're not exactly pristine, and they don't have a lot of headroom.

for 700 euros used you might be able to do better, though- it's really up to you. Since you're in italy, keep an eye out for brunetti stuff, it's made in italy and might be easily available where you are. the xlr-evo is very nice. you'd probably have to get pretty lucky to get it under budget, though, even used.

Quote by Jayerrr
what do you mean by modern/non-modern sound? what do you think about the marshall jvm?

modern would be e.g. killswitch engage, bullet for my valentine or something like that.

non modern (when we're talking about metal tones) would be e.g. 80s thrash or nwobhm so e.g. early metallica/megadeth or (earlier) iron maiden.

jet city is sort of in-between those two extremes.

a lot of people don't like the jvm. I quite liked the one I tried, but I preferred its lower gain tones to its high gain tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i love the guitar in "are you dead yet?" by COB and in "through the eyes of raven" by arch enemy.
Quote by Jayerrr
i love the guitar in "are you dead yet?" by COB and in "through the eyes of raven" by arch enemy.

I feel like a 5150 will probably keep you pretty happy, but definitely check out Dave's recommendations. If you can find any Krank amps in your price range, you may like the Revolution or Krankenstein+, though where you are I doubt your budget will allow for that. Both Arch Enemy and COB have been known to use them.

You could also try looking at a Marshall JCM2000 DSL, not quite as tight and percussive as the 5150 but still excellent. The DSL will have better cleans (the 5150's clean are rather uninspiring)
Did you ever check out the Z-Wreck from Dr. Z ..? It's based on the very collectable Trainwreck Amps made by Ken Fisher in the 80's.
Those amps sounds Killer ..!!
Quote by Eppo Franken
Did you ever check out the Z-Wreck from Dr. Z ..? It's based on the very collectable Trainwreck Amps made by Ken Fisher in the 80's.

Not at all for what he wants. Did you even read his OP?
Quote by Eppo Franken

Don't be dumb when you come to these forums

And besides KF made those amps untill his death in Dec 2006. if you wanna be smart-as$ atleast know more about something than the people you want to bull shit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Jayerrr

I think you definitely want something more upper middy and British than a 6505.

Look at the Marshall TSL. My mind is blanking on other suggestions atm.

Possibly Jet City with a boost.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Jayerrr

Its okay. Never liked Randall stuff though.

But you can do better tbh.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Eppo Franken

Are you from TGP?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the harley benton g212vintage on thomann is hard to beat for the price. plywood, v30s, around 200 euros... the speakers alone are worth almost as much as that at retail prices.

if you're looking used, though, it really just depends on what's available. just make sure it's plywood and has good (and suitable) speakers in it. Vintage 30s are a fairly safe bet for modern metal tones, g12t75s are good for more scooped and fizzier 80s metal tones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the harley benton g212vintage on thomann is hard to beat for the price. plywood, v30s, around 200 euros... the speakers alone are worth almost as much as that at retail prices.

if you're looking used, though, it really just depends on what's available. just make sure it's plywood and has good (and suitable) speakers in it. Vintage 30s are a fairly safe bet for modern metal tones, g12t75s are good for more scooped and fizzier 80s metal tones.

+1...Heard great things about those v30´s!!!....it´s supposed to be a heavey mother-***ker though...but slapp som Heavy duty Wheels on her and she´s gig-ready!!!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy