I've played electric guitars almost exclusively for 8+ years, mainly in the heavier rock/metal genres... but I've come to love and appreciate my dad's old Yamaha FG-180 (Red label, Nikkon Gakki) he bought new and gave me several years ago. The guitar sounds wonderful, but I'd really like something a bit different.

I really dig the Ovations I've played in the past, especially because they've all had very low action and great feeling necks... Plus I just love the design in general. But I have very limited experience with acoustics, so I'd really like to research as much as I can before I go out and try some more guitars. I could spend several hours in the acoustic rooms at the Guitar Centers around here, so if I have a list of guitars to check out before heading it, that'd be great, otherwise I know picking something is going to be insanely difficult

The main purpose for this guitar will be for studio recording, so while an electric pickup system would be a cool addition to play with, it's not likely I'd actually it much. I need something that sounds good under a mic, and I need something that is easy to play (as it'd be available to my clients to use, not just for my own use).

I'd just keep using my Yamaha for everything, because it sounds great on a recording... but I can't help thinking there's something out there that's better in my budget. Plus, the action on the Yamaha is insanely high (I've heard these guitars suffer from having to have the neck re-set after several years?) and I really don't want to modify the guitar.

Mostly this will be used in singer/songwriter type songs, so something that can stand well on its own, only accompanied with one or two voices, would be preferable... but something that will mix well in bridges with other instruments on rock songs, is cool too. Budget is around $1000 (used), give or take a hundred or so.

What should I be looking at?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
tough one. the Ovations aren't gonna be your cup of tea for what you say your going to do with it. I love Ovations, don't get me wrong...i'm probably the biggest Ovation nut on this forum.... but everything does have it's place. if an acoustic only guitar is what your looking for there is a plethora of choices to be had at your price point. there are still a lot of variables that need to be addressed in your question. what exactly do you plan on doing with it? if your playing background rhythm with it, a larger bodied guitar is what you want. for fingerstyle/melodies/lead type stuff, you're gonna want a smaller bodied guitar. the larger the body, the more you lose in sound clarity.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
^To be honest, I'd probably need something that's pretty middle of the road. Though, to be frank, most of the acoustic tracks I'll be recording are just going to be rhythms with a voice over them, maybe some leads as a second track. It's not often that I record acoustic other than in a singer/songwriter solo act or duet.

It should really be able to stand on its own... But I DO have the Yamaha, so something that compliments it, rather than replaces it, might be good, as I will never get rid of that guitar
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm a big fan of Ovation as well, but for what you're describing, you'd need a mid to full-bowl Ovi.

Instead, I'd try to get a Seagull. Or maybe a used Breedlove or Tacoma*.

* I have one, and love it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hmm...

Been doing a lot of research and I had the chance to play a few acoustics yesterday at the store and I really liked the Taylors and Larrivees in the ~$1500ish range (which I assume would be about $1k used).

...that being said - I have an Orange Thunderverb 50 up for sale, and was offered a 1972 Martin D-28 for it, which is quite intriguing. I haven't been able to find a modern D-28 yet to try that's close to me, but then again, I assume a vintage one is going to sound quite different. Anyone have experience with one? The guy lives about an hour and 15 min away from me, so I'd hate to drive all that way just to check it out and decide I don't like it
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com