All I need to know is if you get the student edition of pro tools 11 for.the discounted.price do.you keep the program for life or down the road have to pay more.to keep it? Stupid.phone adds.periods to.everything.
-Peavey 6505+
-Bugera 333xl(w/6l6 pt's) -dead
-412 X-pattern loaded w/ WGS veteran30s & HM75s
-Gibson Les Paul, SD Blackouts *being worked on back to stock*
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
You keep it as long as it will work on your computer, as far as I know. The newest version is pretty lame, though.... If you bought 9 or 10, you got free upgrades for 4 years, now they make you pay $99 for each upgrade:

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do;jsessionid=724A3694F0F22ABC75B43838184FD462.ASTPESD2?product=325865714799888

Still cheaper than it'd cost you if you didn't have the academic version, but someone who bought the version before you gets ~$400 extra in value than you do, assuming a new version is released each year.

I'm not sure how an upgrade works after you no longer qualify as a student, though. I believe you have to go through Avid directly and pay full-price.

You're also not supposed to use the academic version for commercial (paid) work, either.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
You keep it as long as it will work on your computer, as far as I know. The newest version is pretty lame, though.... If you bought 9 or 10, you got free upgrades for 4 years, now they make you pay $99 for each upgrade:

http://shop.avid.com/store/product.do;jsessionid=724A3694F0F22ABC75B43838184FD462.ASTPESD2?product=325865714799888

Still cheaper than it'd cost you if you didn't have the academic version, but someone who bought the version before you gets ~$400 extra in value than you do, assuming a new version is released each year.

I'm not sure how an upgrade works after you no longer qualify as a student, though. I believe you have to go through Avid directly and pay full-price.

You're also not supposed to use the academic version for commercial (paid) work, either.

So you'd basically get 99 doallea pre edition.that comes out 11-12-13 etc. Then on the 15th you'd have yo pay full price? Or keep using 14?
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Also what is the compatibility between pro tools and logic? As in can you open.mixes make made in logic in pro tools? And visit versa?
-Peavey 6505+
-Jackson DR7, EMGs
-LTD MH417
-Peavey Vyper 75w
Quote by OurRequiem
So you'd basically get 99 doallea pre edition.that comes out 11-12-13 etc. Then on the 15th you'd have yo pay full price? Or keep using 14?

Yes - Assuming a new one comes out every year.

Quote by OurRequiem
Also what is the compatibility between pro tools and logic? As in can you open.mixes make made in logic in pro tools? And visit versa?

Technically, you can, as long as you export the project as an OMF/AAF. They have limitations, but it can generally be used cross-platform.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by OurRequiem

Probably not. Different DAWs use different file formats for storing their sessions. What you can do, though, is export the session as "bones", or the data used to build them; score/note data, plugin presets, audio clips, and the like. But even the formats they use for that (especially plugin settings) isn't guaranteed to be compatible.
Not to derail the thread, but I think there's some practicality in this advice: If you're asking about the student edition, it sounds like you're on a budget. Why not just get Reaper, in that case? I've used both, and Reaper does literally everything ProTools does, making it very difficult to justify the price discrepancy.
If he has a mac I would choose logic over reaper.

Purely because it's laid out more nicely, and that can be an up thing for workflow.

I have not enough experience to tell which is better, but logic is suitable for pro recordings.

Only 200 bucks and arguably one of the best values for money. It's worth more, but apple keeps it cheap so people buy macs for a lot.

It's like a sadistic pleasure

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 24, 2013,