Hello, quick question for you guys. I have put a new graphic on my guitar, I used vinyl stickers. The only thing is that part of the vinyl sticker covers the guitar, and some of it is cut out to reveal the black paint job. I have sprayed a clear coat on it, and then have sprayed about 5 coats of Lacquer on top of that. The only problem is that I can feel the edges where the graphic is. I want it to be a smooth surface.

The only idea I have is to keep adding layers of lacquer until I get it all raised above the surface of the vinyl graphics, then sanding down finally buffing to a high gloss which I am going to do. I don't know how many coats this will take to do. Does anyone have any better ideas? Maybe I can specifically target the areas that are lower with the lacquer and only spray there to try to bring them up faster without out adding to the layer over the vinyl?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
Hello, quick question for you guys. I have put a new graphic on my guitar, I used vinyl stickers. The only thing is that part of the vinyl sticker covers the guitar, and some of it is cut out to reveal the black paint job. I have sprayed a clear coat on it, and then have sprayed about 5 coats of Lacquer on top of that. The only problem is that I can feel the edges where the graphic is. I want it to be a smooth surface.

The only idea I have is to keep adding layers of lacquer until I get it all raised above the surface of the vinyl graphics, then sanding down finally buffing to a high gloss which I am going to do. I don't know how many coats this will take to do. Does anyone have any better ideas? Maybe I can specifically target the areas that are lower with the lacquer and only spray there to try to bring them up faster without out adding to the layer over the vinyl?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can not achieve what you want with a sticker on the guitar. you have to have the graphic painted/drawn on the guitar to acheive what you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh, you can do it, but it sounds like it's going to take a LOT more clearcoat to get it smoothed out. And I doubt there's any better way than just spraying till it's done.

Probably be one thick clearcoat!
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can not achieve what you want with a sticker on the guitar. you have to have the graphic painted/drawn on the guitar to acheive what you want.

That actually isnt true. What do you think they do with headstock decals?

Just spray 3-4 coats at a time and level sand it, then spray more. Dont just spray a ton at once then try to level it out.
Final result:

New hardware, Bullseye Logo, Mother of Pearl Square fret markers, Humbucker pickups. I like it!