Im researching to find a decent mic to pair with my Tascam US-800 for recording, but the catch is i also need something versatile enough to be used with my live performance as I am also about to start hosting open mic/karaoke. ill go ahead and set my budget at an even 100 dollar bill but please even if its a few bones over that feel free to share the recommendation! Thanks in adv!
I have a complet set up for performing/recording minus a microphone for Vocals
Which of those two things is most important to you? A live mic won't usually sound good on a recording, and a recording mix won't physically hold up to regular live use (especially at that price).

You're probably best off just getting an SM57 or 58 which is stronger on live vocals, but will still be useful in a studio (with a long-term shelf life once you get something better for vocals, and use your 57/58 on guitar amps and drums).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Right now live performance is higher priority as i do that more then home recording, i do plan on getting a specifics for each just cant afford both at once. So more so I would like a performance based mic that can be tolerated for recording at home till a later funding can be made. As i mostly do acoustic and instrumentals at home i already have what i need for instruments just not for the occasional vocals. So all in all id rather have live performance and tweak to get by at home recording.
But as i use a payment plan on my equipment what would you go ahead and recomend for at home vocals?
Not every mic is suited to every vocalist. There is no single mic that fits everyone. Having said that, the SM57/SM58 is a good starting point at your budget level and situation.
+1 for the SM58. It´s a great live mic and it´s ok for amateur or semi-professional recording.

Best would be to have a bunch of good mics to try out with your EQ and yourself, though.
Up for the SM58!
And get or make a pop filter - it helps a lot when recording.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you can only buy one mic. Get the SM58, it'll do great live and work at a basic level for recording. If you buy a studio vocal mic it's next to IMPOSSIBLE to use it live.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Meh.

SM58 doesn't really SOUND good, it's just durable. It'd probably be the very last mic I'd try for recording vocals and I'd only choose it live, because you could run it over with a semi and it'd still work.

For sound quality at the $100 range look at:

Blue enCORE 100
Audix OM2
AKG D5
Sennheiser e835

All much better and clearer than the SM58 IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Meh.

SM58 doesn't really SOUND good, it's just durable. It'd probably be the very last mic I'd try for recording vocals and I'd only choose it live, because you could run it over with a semi and it'd still work.

Blue enCORE 100
Audix OM2
AKG D5
Sennheiser e835

I agree with all of those suggestions, excellent post. The Encore and D5 are favourites of mine.

Heil PR20 is great too.
Quote by kyle62
I agree with all of those suggestions, excellent post. The Encore and D5 are favourites of mine.

Heil PR20 is great too.

Forgot Heil had a handheld version in the PR series. If it's anything like its bigger brothers, I'm sure it kicks ass, too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Meh.

Blue enCORE 100
Audix OM2
AKG D5
Sennheiser e835

+1 here too, except I'm really not familiar with the first three suggestions. The e835 is a fantastic vocal mic for live vox. Side-by-side against a 58, it makes the 58 sound like you're singing through big wet moving blankets. At about the same price-point, it is pretty much a no-brainer.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.