I have been playing guitar for ages now and ive always put this problem off to a side

But when playing barre chords and power chords my hand starts to hurt and its forced me to become a lead player but I want to play some barre/power chords

Btw my hand and arm are at 90 degrees when doing them

Anyone know the problem and how to handle it
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Sep 23, 2013,
Mike Einziger from Incubus just had a similar problem not that long ago. He switched guitars and lowered his string gauge. Do you play with a high gauge? Also, it might be the angle of your hand. Does your guitar sit lower or higher? I know I used to have a some uncomfortable feelings in my wrist and hand when I wore my guitar lower, but when it is raised, I have no problems.
I use ernie ball regulars
I dont know about the angle of my hand
I have the same problem playing low(like tom delonge) as I do playing high(like john p)
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
when I play a typical barre chord (well, pretty much any shape/phrasing of chord) it seems that my wrist is hardly angled at all. I also tend to play with my thumb at the top of or over the guitar neck - this is bad practice, but it has always felt very comfortable/fluent for me to play this way.

What I'm saying is that I think you should just find something that is comfortable for you - whilst there are many technical rules people would tell you to follow, if you are tense and awkward when you play, then ultimately you will fatigue your hands, and you wont be able to play fluently and expressively.