I've just ordered a new amp and guitar online from a supposed reputable music shop. The shop in question advertised the items as in stock and I payed £9 for my purchases to be delivered on a specific day. I have received an email saying the items are out of stock and they will update me as soon as they get the items stocked again. I sent the shop an email stating I want my £9 refunded and I still haven't had a reply 2 days later. I don't want to phone them because they have a premium rate line.

I had a really bad experience last year with a different music shop and it took over a month for me to receive a full refund. I think shops just advertise as in stock just so they don't lose a sale.
The same thing happened to me when I was ordering my switcher. I took me nearly 2 months to get the pedal that was suppose to be here in a week

I talked with the guy and he was very apologetic and said it was an issue with his on-line store not updating when he sold his last one a few days before I ordered mine.

What I learned from my experience:

1. Computers are magnificent when they work.... but they don't always work properly.

2. Whenever I need a part or piece of equipment by a specific time, I always call or email ahead of time to make sure its in stock, and that I can have it in the time frame required.

Edit: I don't really think its an issue with the shops being dishonest (in most cases). Maybe they are, but its more likely just an honest mistake. Now if they are just being unreasonable, and not willing to refund your money at all .... then I would say that they are dishonest.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Sep 23, 2013,
If it's the shop I'm thinking of, I think they have a reputation of doing that. Sometimes it can well be an honest mistake, but sometimes it's company policy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Online retailers generally use a third party e-commerce/shopping cart system. These are usually buggy at best, and generally fail to deliver in terms of keeping stock up to date properly. This means that the person running the website has to manually go in and make sure that hundreds of products quantities are MANUALLY updated, or just let it lie and have a few bad orders.
Can someone be all coy-like and hint a tad about who the vendors in question might be?
Even a general 'be mindful when you order from this excellent retail merchant'?

Even a, 'have never had issues with x/ y /z' though' heads up would be kind of dandy.
Quote by maxbatista
Can someone be all coy-like and hint a tad about who the vendors in question might be?
Even a general 'be mindful when you order from this excellent retail merchant'?

Even a, 'have never had issues with x/ y /z' though' heads up would be kind of dandy.

+++

It would be great to have such a list of retailers. That way you would know to heed with caution and call or email before placing an order.

Like was stated earlier, if some retailers who are know for their great service could potentially have this issue now and again.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I've heard that GAK does that at times.

My own personal experience with them was absolutely great, though (and that was with stuff which was faulty, which normally separates the sheep from the goats when it comes to service).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I find GAK to be excellent for customer service and sales. I have had problems with a few music shops, the one in question is Gear4Music. In the future I am just going to phone the shop beforehand to check they stock the item.
Ugh seriously mayne, i feel your pain. I really have a problem when I go to a music shop and the sales people try to throw all this knowledge on me and tell me everything I know about music is wrong blah blah blah. Seriously, I just want to shop in peace and enjoy the experience of looking at cool gear. I don't like being persuaded and especially condescended about my lack of knowledge or whatever. Ive been playing a long time, I know what sounds good to me and would just like some constructive help, not a barrage of sales bullshit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've heard that GAK does that at times.

My own personal experience with them was absolutely great, though (and that was with stuff which was faulty, which normally separates the sheep from the goats when it comes to service).

Yeah that's happened to me with GAK when I got my Vypyr and Epi Les Paul a few years ago. I e-mailed them before placing the order asking for confirmation of stock, they said it was in stock. A couple of days passed and I received my guitar but no amp. Suddenly the amp was out of stock.

Mind you I was once charged for delivery by mistake and they refunded it immediately. So I think they can be a hit or miss.

I think the best thing is to do is to find a local shop that's been around for a while. You can look for reviews online to see if they're any good. Or order from online stores that have good customer service and return policies. Thomann and Amazon come to mind.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Last edited by BlueIceBox at Sep 25, 2013,
Somewhat related, that has been happening to me on Amazon lately. It will say it is in stock, but then a month later I get an email from Amazon saying I haven't been charged yet and that I should contact the vendor and cancel my order.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....