Ok I'm confused about my set up I just want to make sure that I'm not going to damage my amp.

I'm running an Engl E530 preamp into a mesa power amp into a mesa cab. I also want to run some delay in the effects loop of my engl.

There are 3 outputs on the engl, LINE OUT L/R, FREQUENCY COMPENSATED LINE OUT L/R, and an INSTRUMENT OUTPUT FX LOOP SEND.

So... I don't understand how I'm supposed to hook up my effects loop because all the amps I've ever used have a dedicated "PRE AMP OUT" output and a separate effects loop.

From my understanding I'm supposed to run the INSTRUMENT OUTPUT FX LOOP SEND into the power amp. Should I go from the INSTRUMENT OUT > Pedals > Power amp?
Last edited by AJvdb at Sep 23, 2013,
Use the line out to go to the power amp. Your power amp is expecting line level. If you use the instrument output loop it would be too low for the Mesa, and you would add more noise. The line out is the same as the preamp out on your other amps, and the instrument effects loop is the same as the loop in an amp.

Preamp out is the same point in a circuit as the effects loop send in most guitar amps, except that the fx loop send is usually a switched jack.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Sep 23, 2013,