Hi,
Could someone tell me if the Ibanez AFJ95 would be suitable for rockabilly. I know Gretsch or Tels are the guitars of choice for many, however I cant afford one. Also, can a bigsby type tremolo be added to this model. I'm asking as I have an oppurtunity to purchase one at a very reasonable price.
Thanks
Epiphone ES-175 is one of my favorite rockabilly type guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ideally, you'd want something with singlecoils, P90s or something like a FillerTron or RevTron, but you can definitely do rockabilly with a HB guitar like that Ibanez AFJ95.

I'm seeing those run around $600. I'm also thinking that if you want to add an aftermarket Bigsby, that's going to boost your price a bit more.

I'm thinking that you can find a lot of guitars in the sub-$700 range that would work. I believe there are other Ibanez Artcores that would do the job- some with Bigsbys already in them.

Beyond that, look at new/used semihollow and hollowbody Hagstroms, Godins, Reverends, Epiphones, Squiers and Fenders.

A friend of mine has an Epiphone WildKat, for instance. Good for the genre, P90s and a Bigsby. Under $400.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-wildkat-ltd-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-artcore-afs75-hollowbody-with-bigsby-style-tremolo-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-artcore-series-af75tdgiv-hollowbody-electric-guitar

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-artcore-agr63-hollowbody-with-bigsby-style-tremolo-electric-guitar
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 23, 2013,
You want a good slap-back echo pedal also, it will make things much easier
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by cheekysnake
Any suggestions for a slap back pedal? Is that like a delay?

The TC electronics Alter Ego has a nice slap back setting, I think the flashback has it also but I'm not 100%
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've heard the Danelectro BLT, the Way Huge Aqua Puss and Echo Puss, and the Electro-Harmonics "Memory Man" are good for slap-back.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 23, 2013,
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I ended up buying an Ibanez AF75 and put some gretschbuckers(that I had inanother guitar) in it. All I need now is a Bigsby B3 or B30.
I live in Australia and all music equipment is a lot more expensive than in the states. That is why choices were limited. I don't mind waiting for a bigsby.
Cheers
Sounds like you're on the right track! How do the new pups sound in that Ibby?

Haven't had a chance to try them out properly yet. I bought the guitar(used) & when I got home & went to play it, and there were electrical issues. Tore the Gretschbuckers, pots and switch out of my Agile 3XXX les paul copy and it was about midnight when I finished. Let you know shortly. Cheers
When you do, post a nifty NGD!

Sorry for the delay in responding to this. I'm not sure how to get a good enough quality recording to post. But I have done some work on the guitar. It now has a bigsby B6 and I am replacing the Gretschbucker over the next couple of days with GFS Mean 90's.
Also finally got a slapback last night. I ended up with a Belcat Analogue Delay DLY-503. Sounds pretty good through the fender hotrod deluxe.
Thanks everyone for there assistance!
Pictures! Pictures!