Steam and Linux ready to take the step forward? http://www.cyberciti.biz/linux-games/valve-announces-linux-based-steamos/

Quote by ****ing Badass News
As we've been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Im stoked, what do you guys think?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Wow. That's bold.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I'm intrigued to see what affect this will have on the industry.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I'm excited for it. They should be announcing the SteamOS based console in two days I believe. It'll be interesting to see if this pushes a lot of AAA development for Linux.
Honestly it could open up a whole new way of gaming. Say you have an 80" tv, killer setup. Instead of playing the Xbox or PS3 version of a game like Farcry 3, for random example, you can stream it onto the SteamOS machine and play it on the killer setup--with no latency issues! It's so brilliant. Has the potential to seriously piss off Microsoft and Sony.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Saw it earlier today, I still don't understand the point of it. If I can run Steam on a full operating system and still have a computer there, why install this on something?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I think it's great. Looks like Microsoft are gonna lose a lot of customers.
Quote by necrosis1193
Saw it earlier today, I still don't understand the point of it. If I can run Steam on a full operating system and still have a computer there, why install this on something?

I don't really seeing it having a huge impact on the traditional PC market. You could dual-boot SteamOS with Windows, and use it as a dedicated gaming OS because it'll be less resource hungry than Windows, but the true purpose of it will be as a console replacement. You could either
a) build or buy a low-powered SteamOS computer for streaming games from a gaming PC, plus use as an HTPC
b) build a powerful SteamOS computer that you would use instead of a gaming PC. Basically a console on roids.
woah man. i'd buy in a heartbeat.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
Quote by WCPhils
What is the difference from regular Steam?

Steam is an application. This is an operating system.
As a PC gamer and a big Steam user, I'm struggling to think of a scenario where this is necessary. At the end of the day you still need a high-end gaming machine in order to run the games, and if I want to use a TV as a monitor it's easier to use the HDMI out from my video card to connect. Although, if they can demonstrate significant improvements in performance and stability using SteamOS vs Windows 7, it's definitely something to consider.
Anything that makes me not have to use Windows is a step in the right direction.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by metal4eva_22
Cool, now neckbeards can hate all the commonly use OSs.

+1
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by zdh
As a PC gamer and a big Steam user, I'm struggling to think of a scenario where this is necessary. At the end of the day you still need a high-end gaming machine in order to run the games, and if I want to use a TV as a monitor it's easier to use the HDMI out from my video card to connect. Although, if they can demonstrate significant improvements in performance and stability using SteamOS vs Windows 7, it's definitely something to consider.

My computer is a on the opposite side of my house as my family's TV. If I could build something with the power of an HTPC that I could stream games from my PC with, plus use for netflix, streaming from my home media server, etc. it would be incredibly useful. Plus it opens up a lot of possibilities for local multiplayer on PC.
Quote by metal4eva_22
Cool, now neckbeards can hate all the commonly use OSs.

It runs on Linux, so you're really only gaining the neckbeards who like Linux as a concept but don't know how to work it.
OMG STEAM QUIT TOTALLY COPYING MICROSOFT

like first with the digital game sharing and now this?

get a life steam!
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
wouldn't be able to buy used games on the cheap/10

won't be replacing consoles, won't be replacing gaming PCs
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Sep 24, 2013,
they should call it VirginOS
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Hydra150
wouldn't be able to buy used games on the cheap/10

won't be replacing consoles, won't be replacing gaming PCs

download any game you want for free and then stream it from your PC to a big screen tv with no latency. GG
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Would be a good idea if Steam's UI wasn't complete wank.

And lets face it, anyone who doesn't use Windows (unless they actually utilize Mac's superior music/video editing software) is a ****, but people who will use this Steam OS are next level cunts.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 24, 2013,
Quote by Acϵ♠
download any game you want for free and then stream it from your PC to a big screen tv with no latency. GG

>download for free
>steam OS

good luck with that
no fool you download it for free onto your pc or mac and then stream the free software from your pc or mac to the SteamOS machine and play it anywhere in your house that you want.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

okay lets try another angle

>free

yeh have fun killing the industry m8
lol then dont complain that stuff on steam isn't free you mongoloid
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.