Hey All,

I have room on my board for 1 more pedal, and methinks it'll be a Fuzz. (or at least a dirt pedal) I play through a Sunn SL 160 (SS) and I've been on YouTube for the past week, trying to make my mind up. I'm torn between late '60's Psychedelic Fuzz & mid '90's Alt Rock Fuzz. All my choices have the pros & cons, but I seemed to have narrowed it down to a few:

Fuzz Face:

Analogman Sunface BC 108/109
(I really like this one but someone told me that it works better with a non-alkaline battery and that powering it of my Voodoo Labs PP2+ would compromise the sound. Others say this is nonsense and that only applies to older Fuzz Face models. What do you guys think)

Big Muff:

Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz
Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz
Mojo Hand Colossus Fuzz
(These all sound good. I'd be looking for a Fuzz that can be gritty but not muddy)

My sole dirt pedal is a ProCo Whiteface RAT Reissue. It's great, but it lacks a little low end. I'd like another dirt pedal that stacks well with it. (if possible, but not absolutely necessary)

Honorable Mention:

Boss Blues Driver (Someone told me this one stacks brilliantly with a RAT)

I never make a move without asking you guys first. You've helped me build my entire rig!

-Major Bludd
what is your budget?
what amp are you running through?
what other gear are you using?
where are you (country, state, etc).
willing to go used.

personally i am not a big fuzz person, but i would have to say the musket fuzz would be the one i would get.

look up toyroom fx, tim would be a good person to go through and builds nice pedals, he seems to customize everything reasonable to your liking. he built me a timmy (Paul Cochrane) and a zendrive. good straight up guy. also i am in the states and he is in aussie and i still get an awesome price.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is your budget?
what amp are you running through?
what other gear are you using?
where are you (country, state, etc).
willing to go used.

+1

I'm not a big fuzz guy either but I love my Russian Big Muff. Thing is out of control.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

I'm not a big fuzz guy either but I love my Russian Big Muff. Thing is out of control.

i have a very old muff sitting around. definitely vintage, i don't like it though, so it sits in a box and maybe if it gets old enough it could become desirable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Budget - $150 - $200
Amp - Sunn SL 160 (SS)
Gear (Korg Tuner, WF Rat, Maxon Comp, Maxon FLanger, MXR CC Analog Delay, Neunaber WET Reverb v.2)
Country - Ontario, Canada
Used - Sure
I'm in love with the Hoof. Very sad it's so low on my priority list, I NEED one.

That said I think fuzz is a kind of pedal that is very, very anti "one size fits all". It seems like everyone has their own particular fuzz that works for them, since there are so very very many variations. More usable variations of fuzz than there are of Tubescreamers, I'd dare say.

Honestly you probably just have to buy used, and sell to go through them until you find one that works for you (as I understand it, fuzzes are pretty picky with the amp they're put through).

To be slightly more helpful... look at the Catalinbread Manx Loaghtan if you haven't already. It's probably my second favorite.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The Hoof can do modern muff sounds and the whole '70's garage rock thing too, no? How well do you think it would stack with a Rat?
I imagine a RAT would have too much dirt to stack, no? Idk. Don't listen to me, I'm honestly just getting into fuzz at all. I'm a long way away from being a TGPer. One of the things that draws me back to the Hoof again and again is how usable the gain knob is, other fuzzes seem very limited in how much dirt they put out, and end up not being able to do the modern thing, IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Major Bludd
So no love for a Silicon Fuzz Face? I wonder how well that stacks with a RAT?

lunar module mini deluxe is a modded silicon fuzz face voiced with a midhump, and it is freaking awesome. plus you can set the gain of the input transistor (range knob) which gets you more into tonebender territory. or you can turn fuzz all the way down and set the range knob for a low gain overdrive.
311 - do you boost the splawn? i never have tried it.

both the PM and the Nitro have enough gain and attack i couldn't even think i need more, and it has a built in solo boost (i use it occasionally). i guess i will have to try the boost with it.

sorry for a temporary hijack.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Any reply to this thread that isn't Musket Fuzz is wrong.
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by justlivin
Any reply to this thread that isn't Musket Fuzz is wrong.

depends what you're after. i had the musket for a while, and then went through a pharaoh, a SUF tri-muff, and now i have a BA tri-ram. the tri-ram is easily the best muff i've played.