Hey guys new to the forums. Going to buy my first electric guitar and amp son. I have a budget of around USD$1300. I want to get some reccommendations for guitars and amps. The tone that I really like would be Eric Clapton's tone, the woman tone , the bright fender tone and the mid boosted fender tone. Was wondering if there was any amp and guitar rig tat would be able to do those tones in my budget. I have to buy all new stuff.
depending on where your located, a used MIA strat and a Blues Jr would work great and be in budget.

why do you have to buy new?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Holy hell, that is a nice budget for a first rig!

Get a MIA Fender Stratocaster. Clapton used to play Les Pauls, but I think it's safe to say you want the strat tone. You could go for a Tele, Jaguar, Mustang, etc, but it might not be exactly what you're looking for as far as tone goes.

Shame you have to buy new, you have near-limitless number of options in your price range on the used market. But Fender Made in America gear tends to hold its value pretty nicely, even if it won't be worth what you paid unless you find a good deal somewhere. Guitar Center regularly has sales with promotional codes for new gear.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Electric-Guitar.gc?src=Stratocaster+Usa&ipp=15&internal=1&browser=&fsrc=stratocaster+usa&o=1 See, this is what going used gets you in terms of discounts.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-Body-Electric-Electric-Guitar,New-Gear.gc?src=Stratocaster+Usa&ipp=15&internal=1&browser=&fsrc=stratocaster+usa&o=1
Here are the USA Strats, new. You could probably add a discount code to this, they periodically run discounts.

Fender sells an Eric Clapton signature amp, probably a bit overpriced though.
http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/amp-input-normal-bright/101936-cheap-amp-help-get-clapton-sound.html
^Some people with similar questions.

I bet a Carvin combo amp or Fender tube combo would do the trick nicely. Again though, you're getting into "vintage" territory with fender tube amps, so you're not going to find some of that stuff available new.
Haha thanks for the replies the reason I have to buy new is because my parents wont let me buy used. They have some aversion to buying used. Ive been saving for about a year now.
Quote by madfad123
Haha thanks for the replies the reason I have to buy new is because my parents wont let me buy used. They have some aversion to buying used. Ive been saving for about a year now.

Explain to them you will get better quality for a lower price. Like when they buy a car they can get a brand new Honda Accord or for the same price they can get a used Corvette which would they rather have. besides its your money and not theirs right?

You'd be suprised, us parents can be pretty understanding
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not mine. I actually had enough to get a new MIA Strat if i joined funds with my brother then my dad banned me from buying any guitar above 1000$
Hmm what about getting either a Squier Classic Vibe or a mexican standard and then adding the EC preamp and lace sensor golds/fender vintage noiseless/ Lace Holy grails and then going through something like a bugera v22 or v5.
That sounds like a ton more work than you should need to do.

Maybe I'm just a simpleton, but you have a massive first rig budget. All you should need to get a good, versatile set of sounds is:

a) A killer guitar
b) A killer amp

Both of which should be easily achievable with your budget. Even if you have to buy new. You can get a MiA Fender for less than 1,000 bucks, even new. Sure, they're more like $700-800, but well, that's Fender for ya. And $500 for a new amp should get you a perfectly nice amp, but I'm not an amp expert.

I tried a Bugera in the local GC with a buddy, and we both agreed the sounds it was putting out were bland and unimpressive. That was just our opinions though, and TBH it was right after running some guitars through a mind-blowing $1800 Mesa. I have heard Bugera amps have some quality control issues, but I don't know how true that is.
Haha I would love too but over here in Singapore the MIA Fenders star at around 1200SGd and that is for the American special model.
look at MIJ Tokia, Burny, Fender (they have a MIJ line also) you can get them cheap in your neck of the woods.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/products.html

some of it's in english. they have the specs in english, anyway, if you click on the guitar models and scroll down a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe Greg will chime in he buys stuff from over there all the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How about a fender Classic Player Stratocaster and a fender superchamp X2?
Hi,
Try a Fender American Special Strat and a Fender Super Champ X2 combo. This would fit right in your price range - new!
Consider these guitars:

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/godin-033966.html?gclid=CMXDi9Wg5LkCFWZk7AodyiAAaQ

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/78-retrorocket-pro.html

Either of those- and some others from those makers- should be a quality guitar at a decent price. Of those, I'd lean more towards the Godin: it will be closer to the classic tones, and its bridge HB is splittable, giving you more tonal flexibility.

Also, a nice Fender or Vox tube combo amp under 50w- and probably under 30w- will have all the volume and nice tones you need.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by bestelectrics
Have a look on here, they've got some good guides and deals -

*reported* for being possible spambot
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would say get a Carvin Strat kit and a Fender amp. The Carvin kit will cost far less than the MIA Fender and still be MIA. Not to mention you'll learn a lot about guitar maintenance when you put the guitar together.

Amp wise, look for a blues junior. Does that Clapton tone well!
Last edited by JosephVincent at Sep 24, 2013,
I'd have suggested the Carvin, too, but he lives in Singapore.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
hang on, he's getting his first electric guitar and you ADVISE A KIT?!?!?!?!

this shit has to stop. Not everyone takes up guitar because they're a frustrated guitar tech. Yes, there are some simple maintenance things that are a good thing to know, but getting a kit for your first guitar is batshit crazy, frankly.

Maybe he should take up an internship at fender?

Or maybe take up a job in forestry?

Maybe work in a mine for a few years to get some transition metal ores for the pickups?

Those things would all really help his appreciation of what goes into a guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 24, 2013,
I think you're overreacting here. Putting a kit together is a moderately simple and rewarding process.
I'm not suggesting he build a guitar from scratch, that'd be ridiculous. I'm just saying that if he's going to put down a good amount of money for a guitar, it might be worth his time to understand some good maintenance techniques.
And thanks for calling me batshit crazy, I'm sorry if I came off as rude in any way.

It's been noted that he lives in singapore, so my point is moot anyhow.

Proceed with the thread.
I wouldn't be sure I could definitely put a kit together and I've been playing for ages.

And it's only rewarding if you enjoy it. He (presumably) wants to play guitar. He may well come to enjoy the tinkering aspect later- but if he doesn't it's no biggie. He certainly doesn't need to jump head-first into it now.

I dunno about carvin, but I know the rep of places like warmoth is that they might need a fret dress etc. That's way too involved for a new player, heck way too involved for most experienced players.

EDIT: nah no worries, you weren't rude at all, if anything it should be me apologising for being rude

I just think it's a bit of a stretch to tell someone who doesn't even have a guitar (who has nothing to compare it to, for a start) to get a kit. that's all.

Down the line a bit, and if he's that way inclined, sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 24, 2013,
Carvin necks come ready to play.

Again, I'm sorry if I asserted anywhere that I think my way is the only way. I'm not trying to force him to buy and build a kit by any means. I just see benefits in the experience. Others may not see it the same way I do.

Edit: No worries. We're all entitled to our own opinions. I see no fault in worrying for a new player's experience.
ah come on stop being so nice, now you're making me feel bad

I just reckon he has enough to worry about with learning to play without worrying about how to assemble a guitar, that's all.

EDIT: to your edit
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh no worries, again. I might just have a strange mentality because I've never had the money up until now to get nice gear and a nice guitar. I've always had to work with the scraps.
Here´s my suggestion......go to a few guitar shops.....pick up a couple of guitars and see what feels right.

I´m not recommending you buy crap quality but yur not gunna be needing a customshop to begin with. As for amp´s same goes there...basically, if your starting off playing, it don´t matter how much you spend it´s gunna sound like shit until you´ve learned how too play and learned what happens when you turn each knob..try some out....as a beginner it´s usually easier with a sound modulated amp...lixe the vox-vt series, and yes I know they don´t sound as good as the real thing, but they are fun to play around with and sooner or later you´ll find yourself sticking with one setting....that´s how you´ll find the tone you´r looking for...which in the end might not be Claptons ;-)

Unfotunatelly yóu´ll be loosing some cash when it comes sell time since your looking at purchasing new, but we all have to begin somewhere ;-)

...oh yeah, and it might help asking around at some shops...hopefully you´ll find a good salesmen that will give you some honest advice, some of them get that helping you out with a decent starter will have you coming back for many years. Just make sure to ask what instrument they play. Your gunna want the guitarist, cause the drummers will sell you just about anything!! And don´t be in a hurry to buy, check back here or just google the gear for reviews
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by JosephVincent
Oh no worries, again. I might just have a strange mentality because I've never had the money up until now to get nice gear and a nice guitar. I've always had to work with the scraps.

I'm just useless at the DIY stuff so that's why I get a bit annoyed when it sometimes feels that some people act like if you didn't make all your gear yourself, that you're doing it wrong
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I'm just useless at the DIY stuff so that's why I get a bit annoyed when it sometimes feels that some people act like if you didn't make all your gear yourself, that you're doing it wrong

+1.....some basic knowledge when it comes to guitar Tech is a must.... but why spend time building the damned thing when you can put that time towards playing it ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
that's my philosophy too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?