So, I'm getting a guitar within a couple of months.

I know these guitars are not exactly the same but here it goes: Why is a LP Standard and Traditional more expensive than a SG Standard? I know the carved top needs more work but is there more quality on the finish of the Instrument? What about the new SG Deluxe?

I already have an SG Standard and I just LOVE that guitar, then I saw that new Deluxe and I fell in love... I want to try the new traditional too...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
There is more asthetic stuff on the LP standard; binding, carved maple cap and their is mor wood also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Les Paul design just requires more labor and materials input. There's a lot more binding, more body wood, the cap requires a different species as well as shaping and gluing and a more time consuming routing process, the top bout pickup selector switch needs its own route, etc etc.
The SG was designed specifically to cut down on a lot of the costs of production that the LP incurs, so that should tell you a lot about how much of a difference in labor and materials there is.
Quality-wise the SG Standard and the LP Standard should be close.

Haven't tried the new SG Deluxe but it looks a lot like the old SG Supreme, which were pretty nice instruments that escaped a lot of the silliness that surrounds the LP Supreme line.
Quote by Roc8995
The Les Paul design just requires more labor and materials input. There's a lot more binding, more body wood, the cap requires a different species as well as shaping and gluing and a more time consuming routing process, the top bout pickup selector switch needs its own route, etc etc.
The SG was designed specifically to cut down on a lot of the costs of production that the LP incurs, so that should tell you a lot about how much of a difference in labor and materials there is.

Haven't tried the new SG Deluxe but it looks a lot like the old SG Supreme, which were pretty nice instruments that escaped a lot of the silliness that surrounds the LP Supreme line.

I think that is most of the answer. Without working at Gibson I couldn't say if one of these guitars is more profitable than the other, or if they are making much more SG's than Les Paul's, thus reducing costs due to bigger production runs of specific parts, or... You get the idea. If it sells, why sell it for less?

I do not think that there is meant to be any quality difference between the SG Standard and the Les Paul Standard. The latter does however have a bit different specifications; pickups, tuners and so on.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
There are literally thousands of threads on this topic. Use the searchbar and you'll have a wealth of information at your disposal, going into detail as to why they're differently priced.

Quality-wise, it's common knowledge that they're similar in quality.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 24, 2013,
Quote by Roc8995

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well thank you guys, it seems I'll be ordering my nee SG Deluxe in Red Fade tomorrow, since I live my standard and this guitar looks like a nice upgrade, have a great afternoon . I'm very happy...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
I kind of like the lime colored one. It's nice looking. I don't know if I would pay $3000 for it but it looks good lol.