Not the best title i can think of but yeah lol.

So recently changed my tubes in my HT5. To the same type but different brand. Played about 20 hours or so on them.

I cant seem to get my tone back to how it was before. It sounds like theres a blanket or something muffling my amp all the time.

Im starting to fall out of love with this amp over the past few months too so does everyone think its time to get my cash together and get a new head?

Speaker cab is a Zilla 2x12 with V30s. Been using pedals to try and shape the tone too ( MXR 10band EQ, VS route 808, ISP Decimator)
Guitars ive used are LTD MH400NT (EMGS) Fender tele custom (SD humbuckers) and the Jackson with BKPs)

They all sound muffled.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
what were the originals and what did you change to?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Did you set the Bias on the amp after changing them? Also when you changed them out were they a matched pair or just single tubes? This makes a big difference

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Did you keep the old tubes? If so try to put them back in and see if that fixes the problem. That way you know if it's the amp itself or something about the tubes you replaced them with. I have the same amp and I too find myself in a love/hate relationship with it. But from my experience it's still my favorite low wattage tube amp for practicing at the house.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what were the originals and what did you change to?

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^

Quote by JohnnyNash
Did you set the Bias on the amp after changing them? Also when you changed them out were they a matched pair or just single tubes? This makes a big difference

matched pair shouldn't matter, it uses a dual triode in the power amp (so two tubes in the one tube)

if he changed the power tube i think it's meant to be biased, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Originals were stock. New ones were a JJ ecc83 and a EHX 12b7h or something like that. Power was the same tube as the one before though. Biased it and everything.

I might just be having an off day with it again but its defiantly different sounding. And sounding weaker

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
JJ preamp tubes can be a little on the dark side

did the stock preamp tube say anything on it?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Carrot
Originals were stock. New ones were a JJ ecc83 and a EHX 12b7h or something like that. Power was the same tube as the one before though. Biased it and everything.

I might just be having an off day with it again but its defiantly different sounding. And sounding weaker

Like Dave said, put the old tubes back in
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
why did you change to tubes to begin with?

Power tube went microphonic and buzzed epicly.
Ive put the old pre amp tube back in the other day. Not to sure what it is.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Power tube went microphonic and buzzed epicly.
Ive put the old pre amp tube back in the other day. Not to sure what it is.

did that have a positive effect on your tone?

JJ tubes are known to be darker sounding than others.

I like the new Mullard 12ax7 and the Sovtek 12ax7lps, the Tung-Sol 12ax7 is soposed to be a brighter tube.

TS I would grab another 1-2 12ax7's and try them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
did that have a positive effect on your tone?

JJ tubes are known to be darker sounding than others.

I like the new Mullard 12ax7 and the Sovtek 12ax7lps, the Tung-Sol 12ax7 is soposed to be a brighter tube.

TS I would grab another 1-2 12ax7's and try them

Which ones would you recommend for a brighter/tighter/slightly more gain kinda sound then?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ he just did

Sorry half asleep today
I'll order a couple after pay day then

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I dont like JJ's in V1 valve in my Valveking. Its definetly a warm tube. Tung Sol (bright tube) on V1 and JJ the rest and its good.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'll grab a Mullard and a Tung-Sol then by the looks of things.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I use a Mullard 12ax7 in V1 of my DSL, I like it better than the JJ I tried
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The JJ i had decided to die like straight away. Put the old one in and its been working fine. Just sounds different =/

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
The New Mullard 12ax7 was rated as the highest gain of any modern 12ax7 or equivalent by one of the online tube stores.

Take or send the JJ back they are warantied for 60 or 90 days, I don't know which
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate