I have a few rather cheap electric guitars - an Ibanez Acoustic/Electric (AE5) which I learned on, then an Epiphone G400 (my first real electric) and then an Epiphone Dot Studio because I was interested in a semi-hollow.

I tried them all with the following fx chain:

Floorfish (as noisegate)
ReaFir (eq/compresssor, rolling off high end)
Boss DS-1 overdrive stompbox
Poulin_Le456 amp sim (chan B, Bottom switched on)

First question: Is there anything I should add to this signal chain or change to try to get more twang or character without adding more fuzz? Like classic rock bands had warm tones and character with the growl. I also like alt rock bands that have some character, like Cracker with its bluesy twang, or Dramarama. I consider these kind of basic rock tones with a bit of uniqueness to create a custom sound. I don't want a wall of distortion or fuzz or growl, which is what I seem to get, or I just get a sound that is too acoustic without enough growl.

Second, is there any place guitarists share their FX chains, like listing:

Guitar
FX / VST chain (including preamps, amps, sequencing, settings)
Tone achieved

I think something like that would make a lot of sense, helping people not having to reinvent the wheel, sharing what FX may work well with other FX, etc. There are just so many FX options out there, and so many ways they can be combined, sequenced, dialed in, etc. More, I'd guess, than hardware combinations. If it does not exist, maybe this forum could have a sticky thread where people post this info and over time it would become a compilation of good FX chains for guitar tone. Maybe one day some one could even put it in a searchable database.

Just a thought,

Ken
Last edited by krm27 at Sep 24, 2013,
Quote by krm27
I have a few rather cheap electric guitars - an Ibanez Acoustic/Electric (AE5) which I learned on, then an Epiphone G400 (my first real electric) and then an Epiphone Dot Studio because I was interested in a semi-hollow.

I tried them all with the following fx chain:

Floorfish (as noisegate)
ReaFir (eq/compresssor, rolling off high end)
Boss DS-1 overdrive stompbox
Poulin_Le456 amp sim (chan B, Bottom switched on)

First question: Is there anything I should add to this signal chain or change to try to get more twang or character without adding more fuzz? Like classic rock bands had warm tones and character with the growl. I also like alt rock bands that have some character, like Cracker with its bluesy twang, or Dramarama. I consider these kind of basic rock tones with a bit of uniqueness to create a custom sound. I don't want a wall of distortion or fuzz or growl, which is what I seem to get, or I just get a sound that is too acoustic without enough growl.

you said Cracker. i don't think anyone else on this forum even knows who Cracker is.

sounds like you need a simpler chain. you should be able to get a good amp sim to get that tone and i don't see you need much more.

Quote by krm27
Second, is there any place guitarists share their FX chains, like listing:

Guitar
FX / VST chain (including preamps, amps, sequencing, settings)
Tone achieved

I think something like that would make a lot of sense, helping people not having to reinvent the wheel, sharing what FX may work well with other FX, etc. There are just so many FX options out there, and so many ways they can be combined, sequenced, dialed in, etc. More, I'd guess, than hardware combinations. If it does not exist, maybe this forum could have a sticky thread where people post this info and over time it would become a compilation of good FX chains for guitar tone. Maybe one day some one could even put it in a searchable database.

Just a thought,

Ken

there is all kinds of sites like that. if you are looking for specific stuff (like custom patches made on digitech or line 6 equipment or garageband software) then you can go to that specific forum and usually download the patch.

if you are looking for more generic setups you can check stuff like this out:

http://www.guitargeek.com/category/guitar_rigs/

it lists many famous guitarists rig setups from different eras.

you can also google specific guitarists and bands and get specific info, like

http://www.crackersoul.org/gear/
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae