Hi all, I recently got myself a Peavey 6505+ 112, and at some point will want to use it at college. This will most likely involve taking it on an hour bus journey there.

Basically, my question is whether it will be a problem doing this. I can fit it on space wise, but I just want to know whether it will be a problem damage wise?

I am mainly thinking whether the bumps will cause the tubes to go microphonic, or will dislodge anything (I am guessing the only problem there could be would be microphonic tubes).
Thanks
unless you live in a house, you will find it hard to use that amp in a dorm 95% of the time. Something like a POD or an amp with a headphone out is what you really need to look at
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I'm in the UK, college is after secondary school. I'd be taking it in daily to practice with, then taking it home with me. You're thinking of university

But with your point, believe me I understand, it's a loud beast
I was going to say pull the tubes for the bus ride, but I didn't realize you meant a daily bus ride. I'd put a thick piece of foam at the bottom of a snug-fitting cardboard box to set your amp in, or attach some large springs to the bottom of the amp . You could attach a foam pad to the bottom using a sheet of stiff plastic or wood, using velcro to attach/detach the pad as needed.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by ambler3
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear, I'm in the UK, college is after secondary school. I'd be taking it in daily to practice with, then taking it home with me. You're thinking of university

But with your point, believe me I understand, it's a loud beast

OK
Yeah they call university's college here.

So your in high school I take it? Do you have a class that requires you to bring an amp?

The amp should have no problems riding on a bus.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It'd only be for Tuesdays and Fridays, but a foam pad that I could velcro to the bottom sounds good.
So I take it that it'd definely be a bad idea if I took it as it is?

Also, what would I do if I were to have casters on the bottom? That pretty much makes the foam pad method impossible. With casters is it neccesary to have any padding etc. ?

I should also mention it's not a terrible journey bump wise, but still i'd prefer not to take the risk.
Quote by Robbgnarly
OK
Yeah they call university's college here.

So your in high school I take it? Do you have a class that requires you to bring an amp?

The amp should have no problems riding on a bus.

I guess high school? 17-18 yrs

and yeah, it's for music BTEC, the performance part. Once we have a bassist, me and another guitarist, there will only be enough amps for two of us.
Quote by ambler3
I guess high school? 17-18 yrs

and yeah, it's for music BTEC, the performance part. Once we have a bassist, me and another guitarist, there will only be enough amps for two of us.

I would really get something more manageable size wize.

Your amp should be fine, but it is super heavy and you will end up hating it. I would look into something like a Vypyr 30 if I were you. It is way louder than you will need at school.

Yeah high school here is untill grade 12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 24, 2013,
What if the busdriver is on TGP? He might not let you on with a high gain modern-voiced amp.

Maybe brush up on your cover of politician, just in case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, part of the reason I brought it was because it would be giggable..and I can manage the volume to crank it enough at home. Transport shouldn't be an issue as when it's really necessary, I could possibly get parents to drive it around.
For the moment they drive me in to the bus station when I need my guitar in college, as I can't cycle in with both guitar and rucksack. So I can do the same for the amp if I bring it in.
In my last band, we tossed a drum kit, 2 tube amps (Mesa and Marshall) and my bass rig in the back of a 4x6 u-haul on a regular basis for rides way longer than an hour and we never had an issue. The amps are made to take a little punishment.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
It should be strong enough to survive a bus ride. I wouldn't fret about it too much.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
It should be strong enough to survive a bus ride. I wouldn't fret about it too much.

Ha! "Fret about it"
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Great, all I need to know really is that tonally it won't damage it (tubes). And yeah, i'd expect it to be built like a tank, given it's weight and size..

Thanks for all the answers you guys
Last edited by ambler3 at Sep 24, 2013,
It will be fine, there's a LOT of overthinking going on ITT.

Tube have been used in combat aircraft, I think that they can survive a few minor jostles on a bus...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I imagine it'd be fine. I'd be happy putting a valve amp in my car if I needed it for college. Though I have a car, which has seatbelts. Buses don't. Hold on to it for dear life, it'll be fine.

I don't suppose by chance you're going to bedford college are you? It's a long shot but I noticed you're in the South of England which is where I'm located.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
I imagine it'd be fine. I'd be happy putting a valve amp in my car if I needed it for college. Though I have a car, which has seatbelts. Buses don't. Hold on to it for dear life, it'll be fine.

I don't suppose by chance you're going to bedford college are you? It's a long shot but I noticed you're in the South of England which is where I'm located.

Well, given it's weight and the kind of place i'll be putting it at the bottom of the bus, it should be okay not to hold on, but i'll keep a close eye on my baby

and nah, i'm at Brockenhurst, it was a very long shot
Last edited by ambler3 at Sep 24, 2013,
Quote by ambler3
Well, given it's weight and the kind of place i'll be putting it at the bottom of the bus, it should be okay not to hold on, but i'll keep a close eye on my baby

and nah, i'm at Brockenhurst, it was a very long shot

Nice one, I'm sure it'll be fine. Saw a video posted here the other day of an amp being thrown out of a window (in its sealed box) and they opened it and it worked perfectly. Proves they're built to some degree of durability.

Very long shot, just I don't know of any other college doing performance courses than the one I'm at. Brockenburst is a loooong way from me
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
So did I but as people pointed out, it was inside the box with packaging.

It's not a performance course, it's a bit of a mix really, which is great. basically we study: Recording & live sound, Performance, Theory and software (using logic and sibalius).
Quote by ambler3

It's not a performance course, it's a bit of a mix really, which is great. basically we study: Recording & live sound, Performance, Theory and software (using logic and sibalius).

This is exactly what I'm doing, but just started my second year. Music Technology Level 3 (Performance) right? BTEC level 3 extended diploma? That's what I'm doing anyway and I saw you said you're doing BTEC.

Hope the amp works out alright through the bus journeys!
Quote by ambler3

is was the first

if you really want to see an amp getting throwing search for throwing crate amp. no box there and it worked.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/