Page 1 of 3
Hey, hope you stick with this message to the end! You'll help my start my dread journey!

Please no hate... Really. Everyone has their own style and its really not up to anyone else to assume that their view is better than anyone else's.

So yeah!

Im wanting to make dreads, and plan to do it in a week and a half, but need help with one or two things. So, I thought, Ill run through my current "plan"/concerns and people could give me some hints? Cheers

In a week, the day before dreading, Im going to get my hair dyed bright, flamboyant red. In theory I feel this should help it lock up/look awesome. Although Im concerned this dying may cause it to rot? Ie, would it cause debris in the dread?

I'll also get the hairdresser to section it off, and then just band it for the next day so I'm not pissing about sectioning.

My and my friends backcomb it (well, my friends will be anyway).
We rubber band the ends, but not the roots. Will this stop locking?
MAYBE wax it...? Just that one time? Maybe not? Idk.

I know ill get some purists looking at this and hating the processed approach to this... I hope they don't see it like this - its just an alternative look Im going for with the dreads and its my own style dreads are all about self expression, so, yeah
I then wash every two days with residue free shampoo.

Thoughts? Cheers!
not u again
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
not u again

Just don't comment if you have a problem reading my forum post!
Quote by willT08
So like, what are you gonna do when you want a job?

I'm a student just now (still young enough to not look like a proper proper twat) teaching guitar lessons to make a bit of scratch.

and when i want a proper job, cut them out
Do I want to dye my hair blonde, get dreads and become this guy?

Answer to this is my answer to OP
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Sep 24, 2013,
i am a purist and hate your processed approach
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by jjfeu662
Do I want to dye my hair blonde, get dreads and become this guy?

Answer to this is my answer to OP

... do you want to?

It wasn't really a yes/no question
Quote by Paddynbob
... do you want to?

It wasn't really a yes/no question

You sure?
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
You're right, it is about self expression. You are trying to express the fact that you feel you are unique. You are not, you are another cog in the machine, now get a real job.
Quote by LostLegion

At the most, white people should only get dreads if they have a beard to go with it.

1-15
Certainly wasn't born into upper-middle class

Not particularly rebellious. Enjoy spiritual theories and ideas, not particularly spiritual though. Very much a fan of do-what-makes you happy

Going to university to study physics or electronic engineering. If anything, overly clean and don't smoke pot.

Like to think Im at least quite accomplished on guitar. Don't skate.

I agree with the beard though.
Quote by badfish_lewis
You're right, it is about self expression. You are trying to express the fact that you feel you are unique. You are not, you are another cog in the machine, now get a real job.

That last sentence really contradicts itself. Surely the "real job" you speak of would be more "in the system" than what I do now? I have no major objection to working towards a real job, but diversity can still exist. Get some empathy
I suggest you don't, not for any ideological reasons- I like how dreads look, but for practical ones, I never had dreads but I imagine it's really uncomfortable, I couldn't stand having long hair.
Quote by Aralingh
I suggest you don't, not for any ideological reasons- I like how dreads look, but for practical ones, I never had dreads but I imagine it's really uncomfortable, I couldn't stand having long hair.

I don't mind having to cut them out if I don't like them. Thank you for a sensible comment, haha
Hiya Paddy/Bob. The Pit is not very supportive when it comes to even long hair, so dreads are frowned upon big time.

Don't worry though because I am actually working on dreads at the moment. Feel free to PM me if you want some further advice because I've done my fair bit of research and know some great sources if you need further advice.

To answer your questions....

Quote by Paddynbob

1. My and my friends backcomb it (well, my friends will be anyway).
2. We rubber band the ends, but not the roots. Will this stop locking?
3. MAYBE wax it...? Just that one time? Maybe not? Idk.

1. Backcombing is as you may know one of the most popular methods. The more friends the better as it will take them a long long time depending on the length of your hair.

2. Rubber bands are recommended for the first day or two, but then you'll want to let your hair free. You're right in saying that it will hinder the locking process.

3. If in doubt of wax don't even bother. Totally not worth the risk. I've heard far too many complaints from people who used wax. To put it simply, wax will make your dreads look tidier in the earlier stages however it will make them look like they're somewhat glued together and you're more likely to get residue and mold. AVOID!

So yeah hit me up if you have any more questions.
The fact that you feel its necessary to include "please no hate" on your thread title; that probably is a good sign that The Pit is not the ideal place to ask this question.

Nice UG issue Limp Bizkit avatar.
Quote by Redsectoreh
The fact that you feel its necessary to include "please no hate" on your thread title; that probably is a good sign that The Pit is not the ideal place to ask this question.

Nice UG issue Limp Bizkit avatar.

Ill admit my hopes weren't soaring.
I had dreads for years. They were down my back, didn't smell and looked pretty good. This was from around 2000-2005. I cut them due to me balding a bit. I usually had them tied in a knot at the back to reduce the weight.

I miss them. Go for it!
Quote by Mephaphil
I had dreads for years. They were down my back, didn't smell and looked pretty good. This was around 2000-2005. I cut them due to me balding a bit. I usually had them tied in a knot at the back.

I miss them. Go for it!

Do you feel the balding was due to the dreads? Thats the one thought making me hang back
No, it's hereditary. If you leave them hanging when they're really long you can get balding due to hair falling out, but in all likelihood, and without being pessimistic, most (white) people's dreads are shit, and they fall out or come undone pretty quickly because it's done poorly, their hair type doesn't suit it or they didn't look after them properly.

I cut a couple of mine and didn't bind them and after a while they started to fall apart, so I had to start again with them.

If you're lucky you can have great dreads, but you may have to start again a few times, or pay to go to a proper hairdressers, and keep going back.
Quote by Mephaphil
No, it's hereditary. If you leave them hanging when they're really long you can get balding due to hair falling out, but in all likelihood, and without being pessimistic, most (white) people's dreads are shit, and they fall out or come undone pretty quickly because it's done poorly, their hair type doesn't suit it or they didn't look after them properly.

I cut a couple of mine and didn't bind them and after a while they started to fall apart, so I had to start again with them.

If you're lucky you can have great dreads, but you may have to start again a few times, or pay to go to a proper hairdressers, and keep going back.

Well, you never know until you try... You know what, at the end of the day, who gives a **** if they don't work? Ill try my best and ill genuinely palm roll them often and take care of them. (I sound like I'm trying to convince you to let me have a puppy)
Quote by captaincrunk
all white people look stupid with dreadlocks.

Bingo.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Are your chakras aligned?

You will most certainly need the scent of nag chompa for this affair.

And your tai chi must be piping hot.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by captaincrunk
all white people look stupid with dreadlocks.

what a well rounded, non-biased, open-minded, world-wise, considerate opinion! Your mindless/unconvincing detraction from my hairstyle you know virtually nothing about has made me rethink not only my hairstyle options, but my life itself.
Quote by Paddynbob
what a well rounded, non-biased, open-minded, world-wise, considerate opinion! Your mindless/unconvincing detraction from my hairstyle you know virtually nothing about has made me rethink not only my hairstyle options, but my life itself.

Hey dipshit, the world isn't full of non-biased, open-minded, world-wise people. They are gonna take one look at you and think "what is wrong with that dipshit over there?"]

Truth.

You need to reconcile what you want the world to be with the reality of how the world is. Then you make your decisions.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by TunerAddict
Hey dipshit, the world isn't full of non-biased, open-minded, world-wise people. They are gonna take one look at you and think "what is wrong with that dipshit over there?"]

Truth.

You need to reconcile what you want the world to be with the reality of how the world is. Then you make your decisions.

Gandhi: "You need to be the change you want to see in the world".

Just because people aren't world wise, doesn't mean its okay for them not to better themselves.
Quote by Paddynbob
Sorry "metal mullet"

It's cool man. But with that attitude, why even bother to get dreads? You either give a fu*k, or you don't.
Quote by willT08
Profile reckons he owns a Gibson...

Certified trustafarian

I can assure you, I own a Gibson. Setting aside the fact you don't know shit about my guitar, and presumably only made that comment because you thought of a pun, i bought my guitar from a highly well-respected, legit dealer.
dreads are fugly on white guys.... unless you're in Korn.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Paddynbob
Gandhi: "You need to be the change you want to see in the world".

Just because people aren't world wise, doesn't mean its okay for them not to better themselves.

What the hell does that have to do with what I just said?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Quote by MetalMullet
It's cool man. But with that attitude, why even bother to get dreads? You either give a fu*k, or you don't.

I don't think that makes sense. I can go for a hairstyle temporarily. I know Ill keep them up. I know myself. I don't plan on keeping them forever. If i need to cut them out, I won't cry about it.
Quote by TunerAddict

Truth.

Whole lotta truth here.
Page 1 of 3