Hi guys!
I'm thinking of buying a 68' Fender Bassman Silverface 50 watts.
I play gretsch guitar - some 80s korean silver jet styled stuff. Btw good and fat one!
I do some kinda oldschool hard-blues-rock (maybe some stoner), inspired by zz top and led zep, so i do not aprecciate neither hi gain nor absolutely clea sound and like the crunchy and fat one...
So the question is would you recommend me to chose this fender bassman amp?
Maybe some other suggestions or advices.
Thanks
sure, sounds like a good idea to me. if you get a '68 i'd recommend taking it to a good tech and getting a once over as caps from those older amps tend to go bad. while yer at it you may be able to get him to 'blackface' the amp by changing a couple cheap parts out.

i own a '69 blackfaced twin and i absolutely love it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
So...can any twin be "blackfaced"?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I've played through a few old Bassmans, but that was back in the '70s
They're chock full of tone though, no question. You'll need an OD or distortion pedal to do ZZ Top & Zeppelin though. The Bassmans I played had nowhere near that level of gain, even cranked. I wouldn't mind having one.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
i have a '68, but it was modded, it sounded good thouogh. i haven't taken it apart really, to see what was done, but the PT was blown but replaced with mercury magnetics, so maybe they knew what they are doing a little bit.

i got it cheap with intentions of rebuilding back to, a black face. my to do list is extremely long, but its a nice sounding amp. mine is an AB165
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by lucky1978
So...can any twin be "blackfaced"?

not really.

silverface twins were contructed using similar methods as blackfaces (handwired, board mounted circuits) and also used many of the same components. early silverface twins (before ~71/72) were easily converted to blackface specs with a couple of parts getting changed out and some small modifications. later silverfaces started using different transformers and were quite different by then.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae