Page 1 of 6
Everyone always talks about how they hate political correctness and that it's a real problem in society. At the same time, political correctness still pervades everything, so that means someone somewhere is actively supportive of it, although I've never met someone who says "we should be more politically correct" or anything like that.

Anyway, what does political correctness mean to you? Is it a good thing, at least in doses? Or does it inhibit communication too much? Or do you just want to say the n-word in public?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
The problem with some forms of political correctness is that it allows people to simply disregard distasteful opinions and arguments. That and it constantly attempts to stifle artistic freedom.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
It's just a collective effort of everyone to not needlessly offend people in everyday speech. Don't really see much wrong with it.
Quote by Rossenrot
Everyone, always?

Many people, quite often

Satisfied?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
It's Asian not oriental.

It's nigga not nigga.

It's overweight not fat.

It's midget not little people.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I'm anti it. I think it still is there, because of two things. Firstly, people feel they *should* be PC in case someone gets offended. Secondly, newspapers (tabloids in particular) tend to make a huge fuss out of anything they can... such as the whole "Pleb-Gate Scandal", which was just another storm in a tea cup...

This guy sums it up towards the end of his act, this is just the start as I can't find the right bit:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnGYfnFz9I

Basically, I think it's a waste of time. People are welcome to get offended. There's no need to go out to deliberately be offensive, or to insult people or to be rude for the sake of it. On the other hand, what is offensive is highly subjective, and really people should just develop a bit of a thicker skin and get on with life rather than being offended by everything someone else says.

Could go on, but I'll start ranting. In short, waste of time and I don't subscribe personally.

Oh, and you can say it - nigger. Everyone knows what you mean, so you might as well say it. For all you know, I might be black myself.
Quote by willT08
It's just a collective effort of everyone to not needlessly offend people in everyday speech. Don't really see much wrong with it.

this. i think we should always be mindful of the words we use and how they affect others. it's only polite.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Many people, quite often

Satisfied?

Many people, every now and then
nobody ever
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Nah Eastwinn AcousticMetal's got the right idea

I'm just gonna pop down the Paki shop for a 6 pack of special brew and then run down the ol' chinky
Quote by Eastwinn
this. i think we should always be mindful of the words we use and how they affect others. it's only polite.

You can be polite without having to subscribe to the nonsensical overweening stupidity of political correctness. I'm a polite person in general, but I see no reason to not express a view on something just because someone else might be upset by me having a viewpoint which contrasts badly with theirs..
Quote by AcousticMetal99
Oh, and you can say it - nigger. Everyone knows what you mean, so you might as well say it. For all you know, I might be black myself.

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Political Correctness is needed. It's not going 'mad', sometimes people may in a minority of cases go a little overboard with trying to be too sensitive, and may offend another group in the process, but it's easily rectified.

Without it we wouldn't strive to make life more comfortable for eachother because most people don't have a clue about other cultures and don't give a shit in any case. We need it because of those people, so they don't make life shit for all us.

Anyone who says 'It's political correctness gone mad!' will also be heard saying 'Bloody health and safety' and 'I'm not racist but...'. Etc.
It's needed. It can be annoying and some people can be way to overly sensitive sometimes and blow things out of proportion, but that is not that often.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
There's a huge difference between being politically incorrect and racist. I'm for the most part politically incorrect, but I'm far from racist. I'd make jokes and use the word nigga, and all that stuff but I don't believe what I say. They're only words, and even at that, they were put on this earth to harm people. By making jokes I feel like its taking power away from the word, and I can see the point the otherside of the argument would try and make but I simply disagree.
i think it's pretty annoying, not gonna lie. most of the time it boils down to what word you use, but that doesn't change the intention that people have behind the words. so it pointlessly restricts the vocabulary for everyone else who is mature enough to give it and take it and laugh about it all the same.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
political correctness is dumb thing for retard faggot and sandnigger when want serious
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by McTodd
No, this guy sums it up
http://youtu.be/1IYx4Bc6_eE

I love how after he calls the 84% idiots at the end a fair amount of them still end up applauding him, despite the chances being pretty high that they were one of that 84%.
Quote by Esse94
TI'd make jokes and use the word nigga, and all that stuff but I don't believe what I say. They're only words, and even at that, they were put on this earth to harm people. By making jokes I feel like its taking power away from the word

Yes they're only words, but some are very emotive and for good reason. It doesn't matter what you feel, it matters what the potential victim would feel, so just have some consistency and integrity and be above it. Because you seem to know what the problem with it is.
I got told by a black person that only black people are allowed to say n*gger so I said "Isn't that fact that black people are allowed to say something and white people can't oppression in itself ?"
Quote by lemmyisgod97
I got told by a black person that only black people are allowed to say n*gger so I said "Isn't that fact that black people are allowed to say something and white people can't oppression in itself ?"

No, it isn't.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
sure it is
Quote by korinaflyingv
I think it really depends on the situation. In a formal environment, political correctness is very much a good thing to know and use. For casual stuff, it's not really that important.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by McTodd
No, it isn't.

If you told a black person they weren't allowed to say a certain word it would be oppression, it works both ways.
Quote by lemmyisgod97

You think that you're oppressed because someone will get annoyed if you use a particular word? One that has a pretty singular meaning for an entire race? No.

You can say whatever you want, but be prepared for the consequences. You say it because you think it's funny/cool/whatever, they say it in solidarity due to hundreds of years of slavery and oppression.

I don't agree with the term, but I see the difference. Ultimately I see it as a negative reinforcement which isn't being allowed to become a (somewhat understood) thing of the past. Mainly because it's become cool for anyone to use the term, and because it's been popularised in the media so aggressively.

Quote by lemmyisgod97
If you told a black person they weren't allowed to say a certain word it would be oppression, it works both ways.

If a black person called me a cracker, honky or used my skin colour or nationality as a weapon against me I'd get pretty pissed. I expect them to not say shit like that to me.

You're right, it works both ways.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
I don't know what power dynamics are.
yeah

I see it as treating people as though they were actually people. You know, not being a prejudiced shitstain.

But then there's people who will say that placing "must be reliable" in a job ad is offensive to unreliable people.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
nigger
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by willT08

It's totally at odds with my effort to offend as many people as possible as often as possible.
The main problem with it is easily summed up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiot#Disability

Banning the word from speech will just make people find a new word that means the same thing. Having to walk on egg shells with everything you say is "differently abled" in my opinion.
Check out my band Disturbed
I should probably state my opinion too. I think being politically correct in and of itself is a good thing and we should strive for it at an individual level, for the sake of common decency. That said, it can be taken too far in many cases, and it gets annoying. Everything in moderation

As for people mentioning jokes, you should really just know your audience. Some black people aren't going to be impressed by a racist joke. Some will laugh at your joke and tell their friends. Different people will react differently.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I should probably state my opinion too. I think being politically correct in and of itself is a good thing and we should strive for it at an individual level, for the sake of common decency. That said, it can be taken too far in many cases, and it gets annoying. Everything in moderation.

Why do you think its a good thing?
Quote by Rossenrot
Why do you think its a good thing?

Like I said, for the sake of common decency. It's nice to walk about and life and see people not be general assholes with their speech. Crassness is fine, but certain situations, especially in public or professional life, call for political correctness.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by AcousticMetal99
For all you know, I might be black myself.

You're obviously a 13 year old middle class white kid from a conservative family, but now you're at the point in your life when you are going through your angsty teenager phase to rebel against your oppressive and completely unreasonable parents. They obviously don't understand you at all and so naturally they have no idea what is best for you, so why even bother listening to them? You also probably like to swear in front of older kids, as if to say, "Hey there older kids. I am one of you and not a little kid. By swearing it makes me sound mature because only grownups are allowed to swear."

Does that sound about right?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I am a white straight male, so everything in life is great for me, and I am pro political correctness.
Political correctness isn't inherently bad...only when it gets on drugs.

For example: *girl reading passage from a book* "Every individual should have high aspirations for his life." THE AUTHOR DIDN'T WRITE "OR HER!!!" MUH FEELINGS!!!
Last edited by Mark Roxx at Sep 24, 2013,