I'm going to go a Kendo club this Sunday to give it a go, I've done martial arts in the past but never with weapons. Since it's quite popular across the world I was wondering if any users have done it or are still doing it and what experience/knowledge they have to share!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I remember once I was robbing this asian shop and the owner whipped out his kendo stick and told us to leave or he'd attack us. We stabbed him in the leg with our proper knives and then looted the shit out of his shop.

Not a true story, but what I'm saying is kendo is shit
When someone is good at it they can probably beat the complete shit out of anyone they want, but it's ridiculously hard to get to that point.....

EDIT: It seems I am thinking of some other not lame "self defense" martial art
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 24, 2013,
Quote by willT08
I remember once I was robbing this asian shop and the owner whipped out his kendo stick and told us to leave or he'd attack us. We stabbed him in the leg with our proper knives and then looted the shit out of his shop.

Not a true story, but what I'm saying is kendo is shit

Do you contribute anything worthwhile, ever? Troll posts can be funny when they're good, otherwise its just tired and trite.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Quote by Anthony1991
Do you contribute anything worthwhile, ever? Troll posts can be funny when they're good, otherwise its just tired and trite.

All the time man. Come in the UG Electronic project
haha i think that sounds like something awesome to learn but i would never try
Quote by willT08
All the time man. Come in the UG Electronic project

Fair enough, just dial down the douche every now and then.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
People don't do Kendo to beat people up, it's a skill, an art form. It seems quite cool to me. I wouldn't only do that though, do Wing Chun too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1991
Fair enough, just dial down the douche every now and then.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
I was pretty into it for a number of years back in high school/undergrad. While it is loads of fun, it does occupy sort of a weird niche. On the one hand, it is much more a sport than a martial art. If your intention is to learn self defense (because you carry around a stick with you everywhere you go?) or any sort of practical skill, you'll probably be disappointed. On the other hand, even though it's a sport, it's super steeped in tradition. If you're solely interested in the sport/tournament aspect of things, you'll also probably be disappointed, since you'll be spending so much more time working on things like technique, footwork, and kata, as opposed to just practicing to win fights.

Also, the gear can be damn expensive. You don't need it right away, but you'll eventually need to drop a couple hundred bucks on the get-up and armor. At least shinais are relatively cheap.
There will probably be a signature here at some point.