A staccato is a specific way of playing a note.
The duration of the note should be short and detached.

Legato is also a specific way of playing a note.
Applied to guitar, Legato is a way of playing a musical phrase without having to pick every single note. It basically connects two notes together.

Use this video if you need a reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0jldmPlmEw

An arpeggio is essentially a broken chord played one note at a time.
Instead of playing the notes CEG all at the same time (Harmonically) you would play the notes separately. (Melodically)
Last edited by dannydawiz at Sep 24, 2013,
^ What he said, but to make it a little clearer from a guitar perspective:

Staccato basically means to mute the note immediately after playing it.

Legato, means hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, tapping, etc.
Is google broken?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by dannydawiz
A staccato is a specific way of playing a note.
The duration of the note should be short and detached.

Legato is also a specific way of playing a note.
Applied to guitar, Legato is a way of playing a musical phrase without having to pick every single note. It basically connects two notes together.

Use this video if you need a reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0jldmPlmEw

An arpeggio is essentially a broken chord played one note at a time.
Instead of playing the notes CEG all at the same time (Harmonically) you would play the notes separately. (Melodically)

Sweet. Thanks.

Quote by steven seagull
Is google broken?

Ha ha, no. I just wanted a response from someone through a self-created thread than taking the time to look via google.
That's just it though, you'd have got the answers you wanted from google in seconds rather than waiting for someone to respond.

After all it's not like these are points for debate or matters of opinion, the definitions of those terms are simple facts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
That's just it though, you'd have got the answers you wanted from google in seconds rather than waiting for someone to respond.

After all it's not like these are points for debate or matters of opinion, the definitions of those terms are simple facts.

I looked up the terms myself, but they were too technical for me to comprehend, and reading different things from different websites/pages in regard to the same topic confused me; I just took it to a thread to get posts from people who knew what they were.

Edit: I did look up staccato and legato prior to the thread making. I read Staccato as a note with no other notes (or something along those lines), and I didn't understand; and legato, I never really caught on to. The video the guy above helped me understand.

And arpeggios, I read elsewhere they were notes played through using chords, but I just wanted to make sure.

#mindboggled
Last edited by Lifesign at Oct 1, 2013,