Hi. I got a presonus audiobox 22vsl soundcard, reaper and ez mix 2 amp sim plugin. The soundcar has built in direct monitoring (monitoring the input without going to computer). The problem is that i dont get a distortion sound, but just a dry guitar. Often i get alot of harmonics when i add distortion that i didnt notice with the dry signal. When i make reaper monitor my signal with the fx, i get a slight delay. Not that you hear it that good, but you feel it more wich dosent make me 100% tight. What would be the solution for this? If i set the latency faster,i get alot of clipping. I have tought about plugging my guitar to a di box, and then taking the xlr out to my soundcard and taking the line out to my amp for monitoring with distortion.
What do you do? I heard latency is a issue with theese things.
The only way to improve the latency when not using direct monitoring is to get a better interface.
Assuming that's not an option, one thing I've done previously is to take the headphone out/line out of my interface, run it into a real amplifier, and use the direct monitoring. That way you get the low latency of direct monitoring, can hear roughly what it will sound like distorted, and still have all the flexibility of a DI setup.
Up for the interface'a direct output.

Just use headphones if you can't get it to work with an amp.
It will work though it'll not really sound like the final result.

And, more important than the interface is your compute's processing power even if having a good interface makes a difference.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Up for the interface'a direct output.

Just use headphones if you can't get it to work with an amp.
It will work though it'll not really sound like the final result.

And, more important than the interface is your compute's processing power even if having a good interface makes a difference.

Why cant i just split the signal in a di box? Guitar goes to di in, and the xlr out goes to interface and line out goes to amp?
Last edited by Usernames sucks at Sep 25, 2013,
Quote by Usernames sucks
Why cant i just split the signal in a di box? Guitar goes to di in, and the xlr out goes to interface and line out goes to amp?

Yeah you can do that, it's just the same as what I said to do except it involves an extra piece of gear. It's probably a better solution though if you already have the gear.
Lower your buffer in Reaper/Audiobox software until the latency is unnoticeable. 256 or lower is ideal for tracking with effects, if your computer can handle it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Usernames sucks
I always use a di box anyway.

Why?

If you have an interface you don't NEED a die box...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Why?

If you have an interface you don't NEED a die box...

Its kinda complicated, but i always keep the xlr in input 1 of my interface. This way i can also split the signal into an amp. My settings is on 512 buffer, but if i lower it, i get popping from the audio. I think my best solution is:
Guitar -> DI box split-> Amp (for monitoring) AND Interface (for recording)