I've been using ernie balls but they keep breaking, I'm starting to believe they're intentionally made to break easily. Because out of ten packs I've only ever not broken a string on one of the packs (on two different guitars). Which are some other genuinely good brands to go for? I've heard of GHS boomers and Daddarios.
Last edited by kingking22 at Sep 25, 2013,
Strings do break, but I would also say if the strings are breaking often then it could possibly be your playing or that your guitar needs a service...

Ernie balls are very good in my opinion.

But some other good brands are d'addario, dunlop, rotosound... most brands you will find in a guitar store will be of a good quality.
Where do they break?
Are you tuning too high with too heavy gauge strings and trying to do crazy bends?
Are you using wire cutters as a pick?

I can't remember the last time I broke a string (unless you count a crappy guitar with crappy strings I have that have razor sharp holes for the tuners)...
I've gone through a bunch of EB strings, Elixir and even D'addarios (which I hate, but that's a personal thing)...and none of them have broken for me..and this stretches over several years.

I think it's probably something wrong with your guitar or how you play that is the issue rather than the strings.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
The strings typically break at the tuner heads, but sometimes the ball end just completely comes off. I have one Ibanez Prestiege with 9s, and a LTD ESP AX 400 with 11's. So I don't really think they're cheap guitars which should be breaking strings. Both guitars have high quality hardware.
They're setup pretty well for low action with no string buzz and in standard tuning.

I do tend to sit down for five or six hours at a time and practice soloing which includes alot of bends. The strings typically break when I'm practicing whole step bends on the high E and B string, so sometimes no doubt I'm bending the string a bit sharp. I think in truth though Ernie Balls strings are not very duarable and are over-rated which is why I'm looking at alternatives.
Does it usually break at the bridge or what? Check for any burrs or whatever, anything that could jeopardize the integrity of the string. I've been bending on Ernie Balls for months, no breaking.

Wound 3rds are cool, as far as good strings go.

EDIT: I don't like EB either, TBH. They feel like rebar to my fingers or something. My favorite so far have been SIT and Dean Markley, usually for said wound 3rd.

Part of me wants to try out Wyres.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 25, 2013,
Same problem here only this time with rust. I honestly don't know if it's just me or the strings or the climate. Ernie Ball strings rust after a week and my guitar has a Floyd rose trem which makes changing them a whole day thing. I currently use D'addario and fender 9s. Lasts for about two months. Try them.
^ Some peoples sweat can make that happen to some strings quickly.
I have no issues at all with EB's...
I am kinda thorough with washing my hands before I play, though, and if I do sweat a lot (don't really happen all that much though) I wipe the strings down after I play...my strings last a long time, and my guitars remain nice and clean too.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by kingking22
The strings typically break at the tuner heads, but sometimes the ball end just completely comes off. I have one Ibanez Prestiege with 9s, and a LTD ESP AX 400 with 11's. So I don't really think they're cheap guitars which should be breaking strings. Both guitars have high quality hardware.
They're setup pretty well for low action with no string buzz and in standard tuning.

I do tend to sit down for five or six hours at a time and practice soloing which includes alot of bends. The strings typically break when I'm practicing whole step bends on the high E and B string, so sometimes no doubt I'm bending the string a bit sharp. I think in truth though Ernie Balls strings are not very duarable and are over-rated which is why I'm looking at alternatives.

Dude you can't say EB sucks when 10.000s of people do not break them ever.

Do you even logic bro?

Obviously it's something on the guitar or your playing.

so gtfo i don't like liars.

Unless you have rare sweat make-up, or bought strings that have been
Laying around since 1940 or something, if so my apologies in advance.

I do 1.5 step bends on them as well all the time.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 25, 2013,
I don´t think it´s your strings....
......first off check your bridge for sharp edges (find it unlikely since your breaking at the head), change your string wrapping technique (at least two times around the peg on the E & B and even possibly the G depending on guage) and than the over and under string locking teq. like this pic http://0.tqn.com/d/guitar/1/5/O/1/chstr_fig9.jpg and don´t forget to lube your nut and bridge with grafite (or just make your own with vaseline and shavings from pencil lead) so that your string flows freely

...i used to use Ernies and never had breaking issues...have recently switched to Gibson humbucker strings to reduce feedback, and I like the guage setup (11-14-18-28-38-50) and love the sound.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
GHS Boomers 10-46 or 10-52 (for drop tunings) they never break or rust, at least for me, and they are pretty cheap. Ernie Ball are shit, I played them when I first started playing and always had problems with the g breaking on my telecaster, switched to ghs and never looked back.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Last edited by KerNeL_KLuTcH at Sep 25, 2013,
My sweat usually makes strings rust after about a month or two. I've never had a set of EB strings break on me, but I guess I don't do crazy bends very much.
I use Gibson Brite Wires and wash my hands before playing every time. I have never had a rust or breaking issue. I broke the G and high E but that was entirely my fault and not the strings. I believe Gibson strings are made by D'addario.
Quote by darrenram1
Same problem here only this time with rust. I honestly don't know if it's just me or the strings or the climate. Ernie Ball strings rust after a week and my guitar has a Floyd rose trem which makes changing them a whole day thing. I currently use D'addario and fender 9s. Lasts for about two months. Try them.

1. Learn to string your Floyd Rose the right way. It should take under 15 minutes. There are some pretty good videos out there that will teach you the best way to do it.

2. Go to a place like theruststore.com (The Rust Store) and buy a VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) and toss it in the case with your guitar. If you're experiencing rust within a week with any guitar you should a) keep your guitar in the case between uses, b) wipe the guitar down before you put it away with a *clean* diaper and c) change out your VCI every year or 18 months. Folks who own guns and tools routinely store them with VCIs. They won't harm your finish (in fact, they may preserve it longer) and will help reduce rust and corrosion on other metal parts of your guitar, and that particularly includes open-coil pickups.

3. Take a look at the Dean Markley Cold Steel strings as well. Very snappy and treated to slow corrosion.
Another that hasn't been mentioned is Pyramid Strings.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
This is why strings threads get closed. Strings work differently for everyone. If EB strings were really that bad, they wouldn't be one of the two biggest brands.

All you're going to get here is people posting "I LOVE X BRAND" because they do, but that's not helpful when it comes to personal preference. We've gotten to the point where people are just throwing out string brands, which doesn't help you choose either. Go buy 6 different brands of the same gauge, try one every couple weeks, see what you like. There's not a lot we can offer when it comes to something as rig and preference specific as strings.