Page 1 of 5
So this show aired. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Just watched the pilot. It was actually pretty cool. Felt like a TV show from the 90s with a much bigger budget. Like something you would have watched on BBC 2 after The Simpsons was done. Didn't blow me away but it was plenty enjoyable and it seems like a strong start.

EDIT: Just realised the title should say "Agents of SHIELD" but shut up.
Last edited by homeless-john at Sep 25, 2013,
Quote by homeless-john
Like something you would have watched on BBC 2 after The Simpsons was done.

Old school shiiit
Disappointed that certain characters we saw in the trailers didn't turn out to be who we thought they were. I hope the show is eventually used to bring more heroes from the Marvel universe. There's really not much need to create new ones, though I suppose the story told in this first episode did need a new character. Actors are less than great but not bad. Some effects are questionable, but they always will be questionable in a tv series, and it was just a pilot so it should improve. Writing is very Whedon and (mostly) very good with the only exception being that I think some of the references and tie-ins were unnecessary. Those kinds of things are always done in a way that I either completely love or completely hate it. Basically, I hate it when characters basically straight out say "hey guys, this show/movie is connected to the other shows/movies!", in a context where it doesn't add to the story, such as the mentionings of Thor in both this show and in Iron Man 3. I do however love when these references happen when it actually matters, such as Iron Man 3 with "The Battle of New York," or this show with the the super soldier serum, the gamma, and the particular thing I won't spoil that verified this episode taking place during Iron Man 3.

I'm rambling, but I think it was good, not excellent, but that it will improve after the pilot.
Quote by homeless-john
Bumping my own thread to say that this show is complete shit.

Agreed. Didn't even finish the 1st episode because it was so bad
It was terrible I liked it though

Chessiness is what I expect and love about marvel
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Pilot was aight. Second episode was dogshit. Third was a vast improvement and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the villain.

But damn, the British scientists are the most dull, type casted and annoying characters.
signature
I doubt they are even british
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
I doubt they are even british

They're both legit.
signature
Background check done. Yep they check out
- Frank Castle
Seems to me it's just more proof that movie and TV producers can't let a dead hero stay dead.

Yes, I know there's some funny business going on and it's clearly implied that it isn't actually him, but I don't care - he died, he should never appear on screen again, except in flashbacks.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Considering this is the same guy who gave us Firefly and Serenity, I'm a little disappointed in the lackluster manner in which the show's unfolded so far.

That being said, it's mildly entertaining when I'm bored as shit on a Tuesday night
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
It was pretty bad. The female lead looks like a girl I went on a couple dates with a few months ago.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I found it thoroughly entertaining. It's good comic-book cheese.
Gibson Les Paul BFG Gator
Line6 James Tyler Variax JTV-69
Line6 Pod HD500
Blackheart Handsome Devil
Quote by DoAndroidsDream
Considering this is the same guy who gave us Firefly and Serenity, I'm a little disappointed in the lackluster manner in which the show's unfolded so far.

That being said, it's mildly entertaining when I'm bored as shit on a Tuesday night

He probably wants it to not get cancelled.. Firefly is ****ing incredible, but most people have poor taste. And unfortunately, most people want pop tv shows with no real substance.
Quote by homeless-john
Bumping my own thread to say that this show is complete shit.

aw I was thinking of watching it sometime
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by progdude93
He probably wants it to not get cancelled.. Firefly is ****ing incredible, but most people have poor taste. And unfortunately, most people want pop tv shows with no real substance.

The first and last scenes of Serenity.... mah feels, man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU26EseuDoI
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Quote by DoAndroidsDream

He also did Dollhouse which, though a brilliant concept, wasn't really well executed.

He's a great director/creator/whatever, but he does have his flaws.

That being said, I still need to watch Agents of SHIELD, so I can't really say anything. :/
He also did Buffy, and girls STILL get moist over that shit
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

Quote by progdude93

That's why I'm afraid that another (good) Star Trek series won't happen during my lifetime.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by DoAndroidsDream
He also did Buffy, and girls STILL get moist over that shit

Unfair comparison, The chemistry between the actors was just too good.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Todd Hart
Seems to me it's just more proof that movie and TV producers can't let a dead hero stay dead.

Yes, I know there's some funny business going on and it's clearly implied that it isn't actually him, but I don't care - he died, he should never appear on screen again, except in flashbacks.

You're missing the point.
If you regularly read super-hero comics, be they Marvel, DC, or any other comic company, you'd know that the whole 'coming back to life' thing is something that regularly happens to people in comics and that there's a certain 'tongue in cheek' attitude towards it in the industry. This is just a tip of the hat towards that whole thing.

Also, if you read Marvel comics, you'd realise that S.H.I.E.L.D. often use something called 'Life Model Decoys' which are robots that take the form of and recreate a living person. Normaly they are remote control, the owner can see through, speak through, and control everything the Life Model Decoy does, but occasionaly they becoem intelligent in their own right and lead seperate lives to their owners.

Personaly, I'm quite liking the series so far.
The first episode was okay but really cheesy.

The second episode sucked, but the Nick Fury appearance was awesome.

The third episode was legitimately good and I felt like the show finally found it's feet and should be doing more stuff like that.

Excited to see characters like Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye maybe turn up. I'm calling it now that Agent Coulson is actually Vision. I'm enjoying it for the most part and I'm interested to see where it is going. After all these mad long story arc TV shows it's cool to have something a bit simpler and episodic to watch rather than having to pay attention to the overarching story.
Yeah it's ok...

Not really a Marvel fan etc etc but it's ok
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by EndTheRapture51
The first episode was okay but really cheesy.

The second episode sucked, but the Nick Fury appearance was awesome.

The third episode was legitimately good and I felt like the show finally found it's feet and should be doing more stuff like that.

Excited to see characters like Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye maybe turn up. I'm calling it now that Agent Coulson is actually Vision. I'm enjoying it for the most part and I'm interested to see where it is going. After all these mad long story arc TV shows it's cool to have something a bit simpler and episodic to watch rather than having to pay attention to the overarching story.

I'm thinking that Agent Coulson is actually
a S.H.I.L.D. 'Life Model Decoy'

As for other Marvel characters, the guy who got sucked into the gravity device at the end of the last episide, Dr. Franklin Hall?
In the comics he's a super villain with power over gravity called 'Graviton'.
I legitimately can't tell about this show. I can't tell if they're purposely embracing the cheesiness, which is fine, or just making a bullshit drama Marvel show to gain a more female audience.

Like, at the end of the episode where the dude's hand reaches out from the gravitonium shit, that was classic cheezz
Quote by progdude93
I legitimately can't tell about this show. I can't tell if they're purposely embracing the cheesiness, which is fine, or just making a bullshit drama Marvel show to gain a more female audience.

Like, at the end of the episode where the dude's hand reaches out from the gravitonium shit, that was classic cheezz

It's 'comic book' cheesiness, so considering that it's based upon a comic book, I'd say it was intentionally embracing the cheesiness.
third episode was good, first two terrible.

i have faith in whedon to do something good with it, its just theres no feeling betwwen the characters. and theres no big bad to unite them.
now extra flamey
I think the problem is all the characters are awful and I don't care (with the exception of Coulson). It should start bringing in characters that people like but not ones who could support their own movie. Give me Moon Knight or something.
Either needs much more cheese or much less cheese. The cheese level is at an uncomfortable middle ground at present.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
Either needs much more cheese or much less cheese. The cheese level is at an uncomfortable middle ground at present.

Yeah, I'll agree with this. If they're going for the intentional cheese, they need more.
I'm confused as to why it took three episodes to give us a character (other than single scene characters, Nick Fury and Maria Hill) that was actually created in a comic book, and when it finally happens it's a villain I've never heard of. I know the focus is on SHIELD, but this should also have a serious focus on giving us low powered heroes (cheap to produce). Daredevil? Punisher? Moon Knight? Luke Cage? Iron Fist? Come on, Whedon!

Generally, I agree with what seems to be the overall notion that this is a completely average show that could be amazing with a few tweaks. Maybe even a slightly above average show that's hurting itself by having Marvel attached to it while not giving us any Marvel.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I'm confused as to why it took three episodes to give us a character (other than single scene characters, Nick Fury and Maria Hill) that was actually created in a comic book, and when it finally happens it's a villain I've never heard of. I know the focus is on SHIELD, but this should also have a serious focus on giving us low powered heroes (cheap to produce). Daredevil? Punisher? Moon Knight? Luke Cage? Iron Fist? Come on, Whedon!

Generally, I agree with what seems to be the overall notion that this is a completely average show that could be amazing with a few tweaks. Maybe even a slightly above average show that's hurting itself by having Marvel attached to it while not giving us any Marvel.

I bet we are going to get Vision introduced from this show and if not I'll be sad. Also at least they're setting up villains that might get made into the films. I'd like them to introduce Ant-Man and Ultron properly before the next Avengers film.
Page 1 of 5