Sooo recently it's been GASing me the following:

I saw this guy's studio (who apparently works with Jeff Loomis or something) and he had a guitar oriented studio at his place and had an Axe Fx. Never been much interested in that unit but I kinda got to like the idea of having a rack mounted unit for guitarists who're visiting for recording or something. Also might be handy for concerts for my self too..

.. but I checked it today and it's waaay over my budget.

so question:

what would you suggest along the lines of Axe FX for below 1000$ budget. I won't be buying it right now so i can always save up more but I doubt I'd be investing into a unit like this more than 1000$

it needs to do good hi and mid gain. I want it to be able to plug to the computer too.
I'm also thinking of a rackmountable unit (not a must but still).

Was checking eleven rack but people are saying it's not good for live application, changing the presets takes a few miliseconds of silence and such
Line 6 just announced the Pod HD PRO X which looks pretty cool. If not anything else, it's sure to drive down the prices of used Pod HD Pros.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
the thing with the axe fx is that its not just one guitar thing its works as a high end di box, pre amp and high end guitar amp/cab simulator. is it worth it to me for the price? no. do i see why its attractive to so many people? absolutely. also im not a fan of these kinds of things in general, but all the comparisons ive seen of eleven rack and all the axefx units, the axefx does its job best.
Axe FX is awesome. Line 6 PODs do a similar job but with the usual Line 6 stigma... weak build quality and questionable sound quality. I can't comment on the difference in audio quality coming from the Axe vs POD 500X. I used the non-500 and it sounded great but I could certainly tell it was digital and not the true analog counterparts. I believe Axe FX does a better job but I can't confirm. Another interesting unit is the Kemper Profiling Amp, but the price point is only slightly cheaper ($1900 for preamp only, $2600 with 600w power amp). If I were going to sink a few grand into a unit like this, I'd get the Kemper w/ power amp. If you're looking for a cheaper solution, the 500X is probably your best bet.

BTW, 500X is the floor L6 model... the Pro X is the rack mount. As far as I know, they're the same damn thing with a few different output options and form factor.
Last edited by negativefx at Sep 25, 2013,
I have an Eleven Rack, the delay thing is true, it can definitely be a pain switching I'm a hurry. The editing is also limited if you don't have pro tools because you can't edit via computer, though you can do anything with the unit itself that you could do with the computer, if slightly more difficult.

I will say the 11R is still a great sounding piece of kit, high quality models, but the added features and models of the Axe are very appealing. I can't speak on how the 11 and the POD compare, though I'm inclined to give a bit to the 11, but I'm biased
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I love my 11r. I got it used with a copy of protools 8 for 300 bucks on ebay about a year ago. I am in college and can't have my tube amp up here with me as people complain about noise levels, so I got the 11r to mainly just play around with. I use it through Audio Technica M50 headphones and a klipsh 2.1 set when I don't feel like wearing the headset. It sounds fantastic, much better than the POD HD's. the presets are ok but gain can be fizzy. You have to use the onboard parametric eq to dial out the fizz, or download user presets off the forums that have already done this so you can see where the fizz pops up. Once you do that it sounds quite realistic. It "breathes" more than any other digital unit i've used (I haven't played an axefx).

but for 300 bucks it's worth it IMO.

Oh, and the delay thing is true when switching presets.
Hey, V!
I heard the Kemper demos at NAMM, & it is really one crazy cool piece of gear, but YOU have to provide your amp tones from what I understand. It replicates the depth & nuances of tone pretty well. I wish I could play around with one for a few days.
My friend has an AxeFx that he's had for years, & he loves it. Some of the recordings he's made with that thing are amazing. I wouldn't compromise by buying some inferior product. Save up & get exactly what you want. Buy it ONCE, so you don't continually wish for an upgrade.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^There are plenty of awesome amp setups you can get for free in the Kemper Rig Exchange on their website, plus there's also a lot of commercially available ones floating around that are awesome and pretty inexpensive for what you get.

Honestly, if I had a lower budget, I'd get a POD HD. They sound great and IMO more realistic in the high gain territory than the Axe-FX does They are also much less complicated to use.

In theory, the Axe-FX is a cool studio unit, but if you're recording other bands, it's completely impractical, unless you and the artist know it like the back of your hand. Editing a single patch on that thing can take hours, and while there's tons of great effects and sounds in it, time is money in the studio. The Kemper is setup like a guitar amp and effects pedals and getting a great sound out of it quickly is easy. That's why you see them in more pro studios than you see the Axe-FX. I can load up a patch on mine, fiddle with the high/mid/low/gain like on a real amp to fine tune it and be done with it. There's not a single model I would use on the Axe-FXs that I've owned that I could just adjust the simple high/mid/low/gain on it and be ready to go.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
^There are plenty of awesome amp setups you can get for free in the Kemper Rig Exchange on their website, plus there's also a lot of commercially available ones floating around that are awesome and pretty inexpensive for what you get.

Honestly, if I had a lower budget, I'd get a POD HD. They sound great and IMO more realistic in the high gain territory than the Axe-FX does They are also much less complicated to use.

In theory, the Axe-FX is a cool studio unit, but if you're recording other bands, it's completely impractical, unless you and the artist know it like the back of your hand. Editing a single patch on that thing can take hours, and while there's tons of great effects and sounds in it, time is money in the studio. The Kemper is setup like a guitar amp and effects pedals and getting a great sound out of it quickly is easy. That's why you see them in more pro studios than you see the Axe-FX. I can load up a patch on mine, fiddle with the high/mid/low/gain like on a real amp to fine tune it and be done with it. There's not a single model I would use on the Axe-FXs that I've owned that I could just adjust the simple high/mid/low/gain on it and be ready to go.

That's great stuff to know. Thanks. My friend who owns the AxeFx says setting it up isn't that big of a deal, but he's played with it for hundreds of hours also
Anything's easy if you're familiar with it.
That Kemper unit sounds like it may be the wave of the future. Derek, I'd like to hear any first hand thoughts about the Kemper's dynamics & response if you A/B it with other amps (maybe something in the WTLT thread). The demos I heard at NAMM sounded pretty spot on-very impressive.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Hey guys thanks for the replies. Yeah honestly, I'm really liking both Axe Fx and the Kemper.

I'm actually ok with using complicated gear. I have hell of a setup in my studio with reaper and controllers which seems like rocket science to everybody else for some reason

Guess I go for fast workflow regardless the complication.

Also a question. Since you guys mentioned pod HD, what do you think of RP1000? Cause I'm superfamiliar with those units and RP1000 has that additional routing power!
Forget the Line 6 and digitech gear. If you aren't in the Kemper or Axe Fx price range then the kit that's getting all the credit at the moment is the Zoom G3X and Zoom G5.

Read around and you'll find plenty of good stuff. The Line 6 modelling is a generation old now. Check out the Zoom G5; they are, in my opinion, better sounding.
The Line 6 modelling is old.

Have Digitech upgraded their modelling and chipsets recently?
Quote by Vendetta V
damn so apparently there aren't too many options?

I know the kemper amp but is it practical? One things he should own tons of amps to replicate em off into presets :P

also they're pretty close in price range. Kemper and Axe Fx I mean

I have both the Kemper and AxeFXII ... both very practical units, the AxeFX and Kemper can both be used right out of the box and they each come with a hundred or so factory presets that will cover most situations.

I'd hesitate to buy one as a plug-in unit for visiting artists. They are a highly configurable and adjustable unit, but if the visiting artist is going to need that sort of control and subtle adjustement of the sound that either of those units can do .. then they would own one and be bringing it with them.

If you want to have fun, get one to play with, both are excellent and will give great tones right out of the box. You'll need a decent solidstate amp and a "full range, flat response" speaker to get the best out of them though. We sold a lot of amps now to AxeFX and Kemper users, especially our GT1000FX IU unit, but I know there are lots of other choices out there too.

Are they worth it? Hell yeah, the amount of control and the amazing range of quality tones and genuinely accurate rig simulations is amazing. They aren't cheap .. but then the best never is.

Save up if you have to, but it is worth it. Put a decent amp and FRFR speaker on the end of it and you have an unlimited variety of genuinely accurate tones to play with. Its a whole new world
Engineer at Matrix Amplification
[forbidden link]
Last edited by RobinMatrix at Sep 28, 2013,