Hello everyone!

this is my first post on this forum and I´ve already tried searching for this info but so far I´ve had no luck.

I´ve been playing guitar for many years and have always been using multieffects but as of recently I have been leaning towards leaving the multieffect world and go for singlepedals instead. The reasons for this is that I BELIVE they sound better but mostly because I think it´s cooler, haha.

I read an interview with the death metal band grave one day and the have this super fat sound [forbidden link]
In the interview they said that they achived this sound by usin a boss ds-1 and some amp. So I borrowed this pedal from a friend and I got a very thin sound(didn´t sound like death metal at all) on it´s own.

Then i heard that you are supposed to use it with the ampdistortion as a BOOST!

this is completly new to me, to add distortion on top of distortion. What should you think about when you do this? Overdrivepedal -> distortion > clean amp?
you set the amp up to be already overdriven (this works best with tube amps) and then you hit the amp with the pedal- normally gain/drive on the pedal at or near zero, but with the level/volume on the pedal at maximum. This boosts the crap out of the preamp valves in the tube amp making them distort more (as I said, it works best with tube amps which are already overdriven).

And yeah, done like that with a suitable high gain tube amp which is set up to be already overdriven, it sounds pretty metal.

here's a link to how it sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8lep6_RYuk (at 1:22 or so- note how overdriven it already is before he kicks the tubescreamer overdrive pedal on)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 25, 2013,
Also you might have read it wrong.

The Ds-1 is a distortion box, and quite fuzzy but thin as well. You should not sue this to boost, not ideally anyway. It's an orange pedal as you probably already know.

People often get this confused with the Sd-1 which is yellow and does what dave describes^^

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
A DS1 will work too- but as you said, it's not ideal and a tubescreamer or sd-1-based overdrive will do it better.

that's not to say that some people might not prefer to use a ds1 like that. I think vai uses a ds1 like that. but yeah most people seem to prefer using an od pedal for it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
A DS1 will work too- but as you said, it's not ideal and a tubescreamer or sd-1-based overdrive will do it better.

that's not to say that some people might not prefer to use a ds1 like that. I think vai uses a ds1 like that. but yeah most people seem to prefer using an od pedal for it.

Yeah I have used the DS-1 as boost.

In fact off all the distortion pedals, I find it to be actually somewhere in between an OD and Distortion as to how it reacts.

A few live performances I listened to from Vai, you can actually hear that the gain is too high and you get this kind of clipping I can only describe as "boxy" or boomy (not in a low end way but in a mid range way) and almost fuzz like but rougher.

Couldn't tell you which though it's been years since I listened to his stuff, but it sounds quite shite anyways.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 25, 2013,
a rat is a wee bit like that, too. maybe moreso, at higher settings it's almost a fuzz

but yeah i'd prefer using an od to either. I seem to remember reading that nuno uses a rat as a boost.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The thing is, the same pedal through different amps sounds different. Same as your guitar through different amps sounds different. It might be that the death metal band used a DS1 pedal but they also used a good amp and maybe used both amp distortion and pedal distortion (as people here have said). Not all pedals work through all amps (and I think DS1 sounds pretty crappy, at least through the amps I have tried it - I have always preferred the amp distortion to DS1).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Some very famous artists have used the DS-1 as a big part of their sound... I think sometimes people use the term overdrive/distortion interchangeably and they aren't. One use for overdrives is for some fairly mild breakup in front of a clean amp - what I call the "little wing" tone... another use for overdrives is to increase the gain of an already overdriven amp - you can get a nice crunchy rhythm tone on an amp, and put something like a tube screamer in front of it to increase the gain and the midrange for solos.

Distortions on the other hand are usually used to create a full on distortion sound while using the clean channel of the amp - you get all your gain from the pedal.

The DS-1 is a strange pedal... some players (Steve Vai most notably) use it more as an overdrive than a distortion... keeping the gain setting very low, turning the volume up to increase the gain on an already overdriven amp. Maybe this is what you heard from the artist you had mentioned???

stlouisguitarlessons.net
Thanks everybody for your replies!

So the SD-1, aswell as the Tubescreamer works to ad punch too the amp distortion or the distortion you would get from a distortion pedal(I have a metalzone) going inte the clean channel of the amp?

Do any of you guys use, for exampel, the sd-1 togheter with a multieffectpedal? What´s your experieces by doing that?
Quote by evil___beaver85
Thanks everybody for your replies!

So the SD-1, aswell as the Tubescreamer works to ad punch too the amp distortion or the distortion you would get from a distortion pedal(I have a metalzone) going inte the clean channel of the amp?

Do any of you guys use, for exampel, the sd-1 togheter with a multieffectpedal? What´s your experieces by doing that?

I use a custom made pedal for me that is a tubescreamer in essense but can do SD-1 tones too (just switching a few things on it, clipping diodes, caps, the two are somewhat the same in a way)

so I do use it quite often with an MFX (digitech RP355) and i'm super happy with it. The MFX does take the overdrive quite nicely but I'm not sure how other units will behave
Quote by evil___beaver85

yep
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?