i'm looking to buy a pedal. i want some distortion as well as effects, so i was thinking of getting "MXR M69 Prime Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal" and "
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Effects Pedal". however, somebody recommended the "MXR M69" or the "MXR M116 (for hard metal/rock)" OR "Boss DS-1". i also noticed that there is a new pedal for "MXR M75 Super Badass Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal". i'm unsure of what to get, can you guys help me choose something i can be happy with please. by the way, i also need cables cuz the pedals do not include the cables, so what cables do you guys recommend as well. thanks guys! =)
The description you're giving us is way too vague. What sounds do you want to get? Name some bands, songs for tonal reference. Secondly, what's your budget? What amp and guitar do you use at the moment?

For cables I'd recommend Spectraflex, great durability, lifelong warranty and not as expensive as some of the other high-end cable brands.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Two questions:

1. What amp do you have?

2. What sort of sound are you trying to achieve?
right now i use a vox pathfinder 15R with a ibanez GRX20, but eventually, i'm going to get better equipment, so i want to get something good. as for sounds, i'd say something like metallica, muse, jimmy eat world, guns and roses, AC/DC, 3 doors down, nirvana, skid row, green day, pretty much alternative rock/metal. stuff like that. budget, 200 to 300 bucks.
Last edited by muzix at Sep 25, 2013,
Quote by ambler3
Generic 'what you really need is a new amp' comment

yea i know. i'll get one later. right now, i just want a pedal, then i'll get a new amp down the road.

EDIT:
speaking of which, what amps do you guys recommend. i like the marshall brand. what's a good marshall amp?
i may end up getting this amp "Marshall AS100D 2x8 Acoustic Combo Amp", but later. right now i just want a pedal. did i scare you guys off with my equipment? LOL, sorry. i recently started playing, but i'd love to get my hands on a pedal. any ideas on thee above i mentioned? i want to get something good, cuz eventually i will be getting a better amp and a better guitar.
hang on what, an acoustic amp? you don't want an acoustic amp for what you play, you need an electric amp.

That vox you have actually isn't too bad for an SS practice amp... if you want voxy tones on the cheap. You want more modern tones, it's not so good for that.

I'd get a cheapish decent pedal to tide you over and not eat too much into your amp budget. mooer black secret (rat/turbo rat clone) is pretty good for cheapish. Joyo crunch distortion (MI Audio Crunchbox clone) is nice for even less. I haven't tried it but I'm guessing the Joyo US Dream (Suhr Riot clone) would be pretty nice, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oops!!! I posted the wrong one, sorry. I'm replying from my phone, so I didn't get the right one. But can you guys recommend me a pedal for the current amp i've got which is vox pathfinder 15r. I'll get a better amp later. So you guys don't think the ones I posted in the first post are any good or what? Thanks again guys. BTW, thanks Dave. Any word on the ones I mentioned though?
No worries

I doubt the tubescreamer would have enough distortion for what you want. Excellent pedal for pushing a tube amp, but on its own it's an overdrive i.e. doesn't have tons of its own distortion.

I haven't tried the MXR pedals. I think the badass 78 distortion is meant to be a modified/glorified DS1. (you didn't mention it, but just for your information)

The superbadass distortion I think has actually had a lot of people saying it's really good, but as I said, I haven't tried it.

I haven't tried the fullbore metal either but most clips I've heard have been pretty fizzy-sounding. I also suspect it'd be too heavy-sounding for everything you listed bar metallica.

DS1 is alright, but not great, kind of thing. It's a bit finicky and tends to only sound good at limited settings of the controls (as it's very bright). You can do worse, but you can also do better. It's also a bit of a jack of all trades- for use with a solid state amp, I'm not sure it'd have enough distortion for some of the stuff you're playing.

Out of those I suspect the superbadass would likely be the best (assuming what I've heard about it is true), but whether it's sensible going to that kind of price when the joyos are so much less money and still sound good... and when what money you have would be better put towards an amp upgrade... I dunno. It's your money and your call, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 25, 2013,
what would be a great amp to get? could you point out some, that way i can start doing some research. i'm leaning towards a marshall, but there are also other goods ones, however, i'm still a newbie and i need some advice from the professionals here. thanks guys!
sure, no worries, we can also help with amp recommendations. (I'm no professional, though )

how loudly can you normally play?

how much are you willing to spend?

I'm guessing you're in the usa?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 26, 2013,
IMO for budget practice amps, the pathfinder wins me over the MG and Frontman, etc. so you aren't doing terrible.

i still say +1 on you need a new amp.

i say get a DS1 read up on mods, and see if you feel comfortable doing them. some involve such simple things as cutting a component out, or just maybe a tiny bit of soldering i haven't worked on one, but have fixed a few issues on pedals here and there. you can find a DS1 used easily for <$30.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by muzix
budget of 800 for an amp.

What currency? Whereabouts in the world are you?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look, we would love to help you, but you have to help us help you first. Markets vary wildly around the world, gear costs and availability in Australia are massively different than they are in the US. Different countries get different brands, and different degrees of what's a great value on different brands. For example, good luck buying a Mesa in Europe, or buying an Orange in the US.

Both Australia and the US use "dollars". AUD vs USD.

The more specific you are, the more we can help you. I'm not sure about how other countries break down geographically, but for the US for example, just giving the county you live in in the state you live in is about the max info we need to pinpoint deals on Craigslist or a GC in your vicinity to point out used deals that you can go and pick up in person.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
alright, thanks. just nevermind. i'll figure out what to buy on my own. thanks anyways guys.

----ENDING THREAD----
Quote by muzix
alright, thanks. just nevermind. i'll figure out what to buy on my own. thanks anyways guys.

----ENDING THREAD----

First you don't get to close threads. Only moderators can do that.

That aside,

If you want advice answer questions don't waste my (our) time.

Good luck finding something good your self. We gave you a dozen possibilities, at least leave with respect.

**** off.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah, TS, go and get the Marshall MG then that you obviously want to buy.

But seriously, you don't want to waste any money on distortion pedals right now because they may become useless after you buy a new amp. It's just wasted money that you could have spent on a new amp.

So amp first, then pedals (because you may notice that you don't need pedals) - good amps usually have good distortion channels so you don't need a distortion pedal. Also, Guns N' Roses and AC/DC are bands that pretty much plug straight into the amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115