I have a jet City JCA22H with tung sol 12ax7s in the preamp, but still stock chinese power tubes. Will replacing the power tubes to tungsols change my sound and in what way?

Also I'm currently playing it through a celestion g12h30 speaker with closed back cabinet. I'm thinking about replacing it with 2x12 g12m greenbacks due to me living in an apartment. The g12h30 is 98 db and the g12m is 95 db, would I be able to get a better tone at lower volumes using the greenbacks? Thanks.
That amp sounds best with Eminence V12's

You will hear a bigger change in tone by changing the pre-amp tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The problem really isn't the tone. I'm more curious on the role / effect the power tubes will give the amp and a speaker that can possibly give a more full tone at lower volume.
the powertubes will make very little diffrence in the tone, you will hear a diffrence in brands when you have the amp pushing into power tube distortion. Other than that they are just powering the speaker and the diffrence in tubes will be minute.

Eminence V12 sounds best with Soldano amps, that is what Soldano loads in is cabs stock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by HammerParty
Also I'm currently playing it through a celestion g12h30 speaker with closed back cabinet. I'm thinking about replacing it with 2x12 g12m greenbacks due to me living in an apartment. The g12h30 is 98 db and the g12m is 95 db, would I be able to get a better tone at lower volumes using the greenbacks? Thanks.

most likely that difference won't be that noticeable to you. i have a number of older jenson speakers that are incredibly inefficient and they still can easily piss off my neighbors.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If you're wanting better response at lower volume, consider having the amp modded to incorporate a Depth Knob. They help out the lower frequencies tremendously at lower volumes with Jet City amps. It's a very simple mod to do yourself actually, look around online about doing it.

I think your current speaker is fine for the amp, although the V12 would be a better fit. I'm rather fond of both speakers
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
you won't notice loads of difference in volume between greenbacks and g12h30s. In fact, if you're going from a g12h30 in a 1x12 to greenbacks in a 2x12, the volume will be pretty much identical, as more speakers (everything else being equal) are slightly louder by around 2-3 dB IIRC.

I quite liked my heritage g12h30s with my 50 watt jet city. g12h30 should work fine with it, if it's broken-in.

v12s are nice with jet cities, i agree they're the best, but you can also be spending money for nothing. v12s won't be any louder than g12h30s, maybe even marginally quieter- eminence is fairly optimistic with its ratings.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i mean unless you dislike the sound currently I'd probably just stick with what you have.

Do you have an od pedal? Using an od pedal as a boost (assuming you want high gain tones) helps a lot with low volume saturation etc. in my opinion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Reading threads like this makes me really appreciate having acres of land. I can dime my amp and have a drummer on a 3 day meth binge go at it, 4 in the morning on a Tuesday, if I wanted
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
^^^Me too. Of course, I'll be deaf someday too; there is that to consider...

@ TS: Power tubes can make a huge difference if the ones you're replacing are crappy. I know my Ruby 6l6' s make my amp sound like it's been placed inside a -75° C rated sleeping bag compared to my JJs.
Attenuator or Hot Plate. Its a tube amp. Its only gonna sound proper at higher volumes. Or just get a decent S/S amp
wut
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Flux'D
Reading threads like this makes me really appreciate having acres of land. I can dime my amp and have a drummer on a 3 day meth binge go at it, 4 in the morning on a Tuesday, if I wanted

I know what you mean, soon moving to a completely isolated place, so can drive my amp whenever I like, last hurdle I need to battle is doing it when parents are okay with it
Check out Jensen's Vintage and Mod speaker lines. The lower wattage ones are extremely inefficient. You'll be able to turn up more without increasing your volume. A Jensen MOD 12-35 is only 93.7 db SPL. Unless you go with a Maverick or Reignmaker, that's probably as inefficient as you'll get. A C12Q is rated at 94.6db. They're very reasonably priced, in the $50.00 range for brand new. When I get some extra cash, I'm putting a MOD 12-35 in my little V15. I want to get the power tubes more involved.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Sep 30, 2013,
the big problem is that those speakers (especially the C series; not so sure about the mod series) aren't really aimed at the tones he's after. At all. As i said before, I'm not sure getting a completely unsuitable speaker just because it's slightly quieter is a good idea.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah

i haven't tried them, but about the only speaker-based solution i'd be aware of would be the reignmaker or maverick that woadyurt mentioned, if you're willing to go to that kind of money. whether it's worth doing that is debatable, if they'd even drop the volume enough.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The solutions I have are. Piss off neighbors or buy a processor. I like both, maybe I'll do just both!