What are your top 3 difficulties ?
on playing your instrument, on music theory, on recording... anything...

Thanks
I would say my biggest musical struggles are with songwriting, lyrics specifically. Lesser ones include getting stuck in ruts with my playing and writing catchy hooks.
I don't use enough air when I play. My high register ends up being pinched.

My fingers move too hard and quicky for legato playing. Fingers create tone on open holed instruments.

I am too satisfied playing with a tone that is not the best tone I can produce.

I just had a lesson, so this is all fresh in my mind.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
For me it's

1) Writing lyrics - I just can't do it or should I say, I feel too self concious about the lyrics I write to actually use them in anything or show them to anybody.

2) Live performing - I just have massive confidence issues (see point 1) and struggle to express myself in front of people I don't know very well or large crowds which, just gives me terrible stage fright. I play guitar fine on stage but other than the 'rock stance' I force myself into at the start of the set, I'm essentially motionless for the entirety of gigs.

3) Writers block - I write a lot of songs (instrumental anyway) and write pretty much all the instrumentals for my band as well but like many people, I get writers block every now and again. I've currently 'hit the wall' again recently come to mention it but, I'll pull through.
I see it as a big thing since I usually take it really personally like 'I'm losing my ability to write songs' or some stupid idea like that when it happens.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Thanks for the insight guys...
For me playing guitar is usually tough on things like:
-Struggling when trying to play faster
-Lack of creativity when writing songs
-Not playing everyday
Moving on to the next thing too quickly and not always finishing what I started.

At the moment - anything with my index finger because I smashed it playing basketball and it's swollen and badly bruised

Singing.

Those are the three main things.
Si
1. Getting a consistent sound with my lower vocal folds.
2. Keeping focused when playing basic lines, not experimenting live etc.
3. Tuning my year-old banjo strings every time I pick the bugger up. (seriously though, it'd probably be my tendency to mess with feedback).

I have a habit of experimenting when I shouldn't. Makes me a bad band member.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Keeping focused when playing basic lines, not experimenting live etc.

I have a habit of experimenting when I shouldn't. Makes me a bad band member.

Amazingly you mentioned two things that I also have in common. That's cuz I like to improvise, although my band doesn't mind me experimenting with guitar parts.
Singing, practicing common harmonies and cadences, recognising the functions of chords quickly on charts.
Quote by mdc
Amazingly you mentioned two things that I also have in common. That's cuz I like to improvise, although my band doesn't mind me experimenting with guitar parts.
Well, if I have a 12-bar bassline, I'm almost guaranteed to start messing with chromatic walks and pushing timings. I can not do that, but it's kind of like not stopping someone repeatedly poking you in the arm.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
in no particular order:

writing a song that doesnt suck the next day
getting a good acoustic guitar sound while tracking
getting good vocal takes
1st:
I'm not very familiar with certain areas of the fretboard- like pretty much everything on the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th strings passed the 12th fret. It means I have to move my hand around more to get different notes intentionally and lots of what I do suffers for it. However, I have the 9th to 12th frets pretty well mastered on the 1st to 3rd string (that whole octave right there).

2nd:
I can't record a good guitar sound at all at this point. I can't play clean enough to be really satisfied with it, and that's the main reason I have no recordings of my playing in my profile. I'm not very good with using DAWs to try and improve the sound either- I usually just experiment with EQs and noise gates because that's pretty much all I know. Well, I know about multitracking and panning to create a fuller sound, but my playing isn't tight enough to make it work yet.

3rd:
Barre chords. The problem is that they hurt my left hand. Right at the beginning of the year, I was practicing barre chords a lot. I ended up messing up my hand, probably permanently, from using bad technique. I had the guitar neck parallel with the floor, and my wrist bent at about a 90 degree angle- don't ever do that!

Now my hand seems to sort of "disconnect" from where its attached to my wrist. From time to time I need to actually bend my wrist the other way to snap it back into place or it's like a cramp that won't go away- it cracks really loudly, and I'm sure that's not good for the joint. Seriously, it very visibly snaps back into place and feels way better afterwards. I have pretty loose joints, so that doesn't help this either. (A few examples: I am double-jointed in most of my fingers and both thumbs. Also, both of my shoulders pop out of their sockets painlessly and effortlessly all the time- I'm not kidding.) Also, I get a bit of a pinch now from playing barre chords right where the thumb connects to the center of the hand. I've been in touch with my doctor about the thumb and wrist, and soon I plan to see a physiotherapist about this.

This forced me to basically stop playing entirely for about three months because I wanted it to heal- that was a great setback from playing daily. I don't think it will ever go away on its own, so now I just pay careful attention to my wrist and posture as I am playing; the idea is to stop as soon as it feels uncomfortable, use as little pressure as possible for endurance, and to use proper posture to prevent further problems. At least my bad wrist doesn't seem to effect my lead playing!
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
1: Huge barre chords
2: Huge barre chords with some weird stretches
3: Counterpoint
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I only have one difficult and that is properly expressing myself. A lot of times I stay shut in and people don't really get to know me through my music... they meet DPD me (depersonalization disorder) I'm working on that though.
Quote by JimDawson
1st:
I'm not very familiar with certain areas of the fretboard- like pretty much everything on the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th strings passed the 12th fret. It means I have to move my hand around more to get different notes intentionally and lots of what I do suffers for it. However, I have the 9th to 12th frets pretty well mastered on the 1st to 3rd string (that whole octave right there).

2nd:
I can't record a good guitar sound at all at this point. I can't play clean enough to be really satisfied with it, and that's the main reason I have no recordings of my playing in my profile. I'm not very good with using DAWs to try and improve the sound either- I usually just experiment with EQs and noise gates because that's pretty much all I know. Well, I know about multitracking and panning to create a fuller sound, but my playing isn't tight enough to make it work yet.

3rd:
Barre chords. The problem is that they hurt my left hand. Right at the beginning of the year, I was practicing barre chords a lot. I ended up messing up my hand, probably permanently, from using bad technique. I had the guitar neck parallel with the floor, and my wrist bent at about a 90 degree angle- don't ever do that!

Now my hand seems to sort of "disconnect" from where its attached to my wrist. From time to time I need to actually bend my wrist the other way to snap it back into place or it's like a cramp that won't go away- it cracks really loudly, and I'm sure that's not good for the joint. Seriously, it very visibly snaps back into place and feels way better afterwards. I have pretty loose joints, so that doesn't help this either. (A few examples: I am double-jointed in most of my fingers and both thumbs. Also, both of my shoulders pop out of their sockets painlessly and effortlessly all the time- I'm not kidding.) Also, I get a bit of a pinch now from playing barre chords right where the thumb connects to the center of the hand. I've been in touch with my doctor about the thumb and wrist, and soon I plan to see a physiotherapist about this.

This forced me to basically stop playing entirely for about three months because I wanted it to heal- that was a great setback from playing daily. I don't think it will ever go away on its own, so now I just pay careful attention to my wrist and posture as I am playing; the idea is to stop as soon as it feels uncomfortable, use as little pressure as possible for endurance, and to use proper posture to prevent further problems. At least my bad wrist doesn't seem to effect my lead playing!

bwahhhhhhhhhhhhare you sure you don't want to try a different instrument in the meantime? Probably sounds more painful than it is but shit.
1. I get lazy. I'm very good on many instruments but I haven't practiced steadily since I graduated college and started grad school.

2. I learned how to read at a first grade level, stopped there, and couldn't care less.

3. Again, I'm lazy. Generally I have to do everything myself, and the thought of working for hours on end for something I'm likely to throw out or not finish is enough to make me go do something else. I spent enough time recording stuff from age 16-21 that I just don't really feel like getting up for it anymore.
1) singing. i can get a good tone and i'm on pitch typically but i don't practice consistently enough; i feel like once i actually have a keyboard in my house (don't look at me like that) it'll be easier to run some warm-ups and scales to expand my range. i just get complacent and when i go to sing something difficult and it stumps me, i can only blame my lack of dedication

2) equipment. i'm trying to woodshed my abilities to be able to cover both a melodic line and a bass line adequately in setting without a guitar and with keys used sparingly. it's just a trio obsession i've been jumbling in my head. only issue is, as much as i love my 4-string, i've gotta do a lot of TLC on it and switch the pickups, and it's hard to invest in that when i'm working towards a 7/8string and a bi-amp DI system. i blame both talkbass and my loathing for guitars for this one, though

3) being a hermit. i haven't "jammed" in a proper band setting in at least 6 months, and haven't gigged in a little over a year. when i was active, i was very active, but life has really gotten in the way, in addition to my overzealous goals. i loved playing out, but not in groups that were money gigs (and especially not in groups that were money gigs that didn't bring in all that much money due to logistical issues and most of us being minors at the time)

btw will, wanna drop $1500 on my bass so i can get some down payments going?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
1. My main issue is my lack of self confidence: deep down I feel confidence in my playing but my anxiety is so bad I can convince myself of lots of irrelevant things. Even if I truly know that I'm playing cleanly, smoothly, in tune, and I like my sound, I still don't have the balls to own what I've been doing lately.

2. I want to get beyond just playing open mics with my band. I'm sure I can find opportunities but I'm a lazy bastard.

3. I need to capitalize on my ideas for songwriting.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
I try to do too many things at one time so my focus isn't really directed well.
Writers block.
Interacting with the Audence.