I been playing his sunshine of your love song for awhile, but when it comes to that part, I can't seem to get my guitar to make same style of noise.

I am speaking of, the: dun dun da dun, dun dun dun, (ba din da)< this part.

That part, I know which strings to play, but I can't get that same noise he does. I can get the first two times he plays at beginning of song, but on that third one he switches it up to more style.

I had this problem when playing Johnny B Goode, if I don't bend the string perfect enough it doesn't have that pazazz.
Bend the note and add vibrato to give it that distinctive sound.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
karateguy29 is right in that the phrase in question (ba,din,da) din features bending and some frantic vibrato to give it that Clapton feel but I was just looking at the tabs on UG for sunshine and some of them seem to be missing the part where Clapton plays "(ba din da)" up an octave from the first two iterations of the riff.

The guitar pro version gets this right and I have taken a screenshot of the first 8-bars

Sunshine TAB

You can see on bar six (note marked in yellow) Clapton plays an F on the 10th fret g-string this time around so perhaps that's what you're missing out?

If you've already been playing it like this then I guess you just need to focus on some lessons of bending/vibrato.

Good luck anyway
Oh yea thanks...that third time playing the sequence is much much different than what people seem to think, it isn't the same as the first two at all except for "12 - 11 - 10".

The sheet seems spot on. I think I will buy the Pro, instead of learning from half perfect tabs that only seem to sound to get certain parts correct.

The bending sounds close, but from my little practice, I am sure its all "regular" vibrato on the F notes, which is why bending sounded close. Now I just need to get the correct amp settings and effects, and I will get that crunchy groove spot on.

I have Clapton's Hal Leonard book, but its only his solo stuff...But I noticed that Cocaine is kind of similar to this song. Next I can work on the solo for Sunshine, and then get onto White Room.
A funny thing, I own a big old book called "greater guitar white pages", and I was going through it and realized I have the music sheets for this song.

It definitely says that it is a vibrato on the parts we were talking about. I also found a couple alternative ways he plays it later in the song, and some include a bend. There is also alternate versions than power chords everyone uses during the Chorus. They seem to do the "A" power chord, but the book shows a regular A Major chord.

Honestly the solo is the challenge I am looking for. There is a main solo, but a few other "lead up to" solos, it starts with 3 little solos, and then the main Solo....where the Outro is just an outro played just with A Major.
Quote by RyanStorm13

The sheet seems spot on. I think I will buy the Pro, instead of learning from half perfect tabs that only seem to sound to get certain parts correct.

Don't pay good money to avoid using your ears. Unless you already know how to read notated rhythm, a fancy tab program isn't going to help you much because it won't convey the phrasing. Learning guitar solos without having a clue as to when the notes are played is a little pointless.
Last edited by cdgraves at Sep 28, 2013,
Normally once I know what notes to play, I will jam them over and over till I get the correct "style", such as in this song, but sometimes I just can't get it right, and 25%-50% of the time it is cause I have wrong tabulations.

I try to listen to new songs and guess what they are playing, but I found it too difficult.

I actually found a place that has free "UC Pro" type stuff. I check the music with my books and their stuff is 100% accurate. I do SO much better when listening to guitars without vocals!

I come from Clarinet and Piano back round before guitar/bass, so I have to visually see music. Watching a little bar go across "proper" tabs, is like the best way for me to learn guitar songs. But of course, listening to real songs "adds pazazz" to the style that you play it. But of course, each guitar player plays each song "to their style", like watching James Burton play Johnny B Goode, nothing like Chuck, but still "correct".