So my band is going to be a three member band, I'm on bass and vocals, but I was wondering if there were any tips for my guitar player. How do we keep the sound going when he goes into a solo? What should I do to complement him, being the only guitar player?
Everyone stop playing when he starts soloing. That's why it's called a solo.
2 choices.
rhythm guitar on a backing track or something
remove guitar solo, add bass solo.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
get a backing track and don't actually play ever
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Yurning down the volume very quietly. then when the solo is over BOOM
Please call me Rainer, was 16 and empty minded when I made my profile.

Sometimes I talk to myself too...but never on the internet.
meh tbh i prefer the dynamic of 1 guitar bands over rhythm + lead bands.. that hole in sound created by the guitar disappearing and going into a lead is kinda cool

guitar solos are still stupid though

Quote by MinterMan22
meh tbh i prefer the dynamic of 1 guitar bands over rhythm + lead bands.. that hole in sound created by the guitar disappearing and going into a lead is kinda cool

guitar solos are still stupid though

i've always wondered why two guitar bands don't do the same thing. have the rhythm stop playing occasionally for the lead to.... well..... lead.....

it does have an interesting feel
Quote by danielw9980
How do we keep the sound going when he goes into a solo? What should I do to complement him, being the only guitar player?

The first one is up to you, since obviously you're the only other melodic/harmonic instrument in the band. You are going to have to make sure that the harmony is still clearly outlined during his solo, even though he should be responsible for that as well. All you have to do is play roots on beat one. That will keep the chord progression clear in the listeners ears. What you do after that is up to you. Half notes or quarter notes on chord tones are always safe, even if it may sound a little bland after a while. "Walking" bass lines (playing root on beat one and moving up the scale or chromatically to the next root) in quarter notes is a good way to outline the harmony and stay out of the way of the soloist.

As far as complimenting, I would say only do it if you hear him do something you really like in his solo. For instance, if he starts playing a cool rhythm, match that rhythm or repeat it in the next bar. You really just have to get a feel for playing with others to be able to do this.
Listening to Rush is actually a good idea. Listen to some live stuff, in particular. Listen to the kinds of things Geddy Lee does during Alex's solos. Not exactly the kind of stuff I recommended in my previous post, but for a rock trio bassist it doesn't get much better.
See Death From Above 1979... Huge bass sound, the band has no guitarist, just bass and drums and it's hard as shit.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
How about a looper pedal. Play the rythm Lessing to the sólo and have it loop as hes soloing.
Quote by BrokenDstring
Just smear poo all over everything he owns. Trade him for a fake les paul. Turtle his backpack. Bang his friends.

THIS IS WHAT THE PIT IS. RETARDED THREADS. ALL DAY, EVERY GOD DAMN DAY.
Drive the bus, stay in front of the groove. If it ever cuts out to just drum and bass, its gotta be groovin. This doesn't mean always playing a lot of notes, space in between is your friend sometimes. Think in 16ths. Your guitar player should find it easy to jump in and complement you well.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
power chords can be used on bass too
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by danielw9980
How do we keep the sound going when he goes into a solo? What should I do to complement him, being the only guitar player?

Be a competent bass player.
the void makes the leads pop.....that´s the magic in a trio..... From stage side it´s really noticable but out in the audience it makes for awesome Dynamics. We´re a 4 piece (drummer, bass and 2 guitars).....after 2 years we´re learning again that less is more......2 guitars add for extra "umph" but the rythm guitar really needs to roll back and just go with the bass during solos or it will get too busy.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by fenderbassist12
Drive the bus, stay in front of the groove. If it ever cuts out to just drum and bass, its gotta be groovin. This doesn't mean always playing a lot of notes, space in between is your friend sometimes. Think in 16ths. Your guitar player should find it easy to jump in and complement you well.

+1....take the space you need.....a good bassist will not only drive the buss, but parallel park the whole damned thing when needed....your the foundation of the cake...the guitar is just the icing ;-)

p.s. (don´t tell the other guitarists...they´ll get pissed and go for the volume knob;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
I've been the bassist in several trios and I've always found that switching to playing bass chords during the guitarist's solo fills out the backing nicely.

Alternatively you could always use effects pedals to add a little extra to the sound of your bass during guitar solos.

In one band I was in, I had a stereo bass with two outputs and an on/off switch for each output. One went to a clean 'bassy' amp and the other went to a dirty 'trebley' amp. In many songs I'd use just the clean amp for the majority of the song but flip the switch to add the dirty amp for the solos, that seemed to work nicely.
Quote by danielw9980
What should I do to complement him, being the only guitar player?

Tell him he is the best guitarist in the band
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
Tell him he is the best guitarist in the band

...that should do it!