Hi, I've always either played acoustic guitar or, more recently, used solid-state amps with built-in effects. But I'm fixing up an old Vibrochamp someone gave me, and selling my solid-state stuff. So I need pedals for practice volumes to get the tones I like!

Music: Jimi Hendrix, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton (Cream era), Dan Auerbach, Sonny Landreth, AC/DC, Sabbath, Billy Squier, basically the "electric blues" and some classic rock, classic metal and perhaps Rockabilly.

Anyway, running through a Fender amp, what are some good pedals for a vintage cranked Marshall sound? I was looking at the Lovepedal Les Lius, but it seems kind of expensive. The Boss Bassman modeler looks okay, but I'm not sure if it will cover the sounds I want it to, or even if it's built well. Any advice? I'm not looking for the *exact* tone of all these artists, just recommend gear to get me in the ballpark at practice volumes, please.
Quote by samuraigoomba
Hi, I've always either played acoustic guitar or, more recently, used solid-state amps with built-in effects. But I'm fixing up an old Vibrochamp someone gave me, and selling my solid-state stuff. So I need pedals for practice volumes to get the tones I like!

Music: Jimi Hendrix, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton (Cream era), Dan Auerbach, Sonny Landreth, AC/DC, Sabbath, Billy Squier, basically the "electric blues" and some classic rock, classic metal and perhaps Rockabilly.

Anyway, running through a Fender amp, what are some good pedals for a vintage cranked Marshall sound? I was looking at the Lovepedal Les Lius, but it seems kind of expensive. The Boss Bassman modeler looks okay, but I'm not sure if it will cover the sounds I want it to, or even if it's built well. Any advice? I'm not looking for the *exact* tone of all these artists, just recommend gear to get me in the ballpark at practice volumes, please.

If you're on a budget you might want to look into the Joyo pedals, a lot of good things to say about them.

I just ordered a Joyo Vintage Overdrive which is a clone of the Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer. It comes in tomorrow, if all goes well I may get a few more different ones by them, considering the prices and all. It was only $30.95 shipped from Amazon and it's also available for Amazon Prime which you only have to wait 2 days to have it on your doorstep for free shipping...

Joyo Pedal thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1536497
Last edited by Blackfire. at Sep 26, 2013,
I have to say, the sounds coming out of the Joyo Vintage Overdrive (online) are pretty great. I was already looking at used Tubescreamers on Ebay, but $30 and prime shipping sounds a lot better. I'll take a chance, see if it's any good.
Quote by samuraigoomba

Anyway, running through a Fender amp, what are some good pedals for a vintage cranked Marshall sound?

I just saw this pedal "Joyo JF-03 Crunch Distortion replicates Full-Stack Marshall crunch Gain Settings and Tone" $35 at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-03-Distortion-replicates-Full-Stack/dp/B005LYIW3W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380185068&sr=8-4&keywords=joyo+deluxe+crunch

I've been checking this one out, it might be like the regular crunch but with more versatility. $42 Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-Crunch-Guitar-Effect-Adapter/dp/B00CC9VU8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380185068&sr=8-1&keywords=joyo+deluxe+crunch
^ crunch distortion is a crunchbox clone. pretty nice, but it's more of a hotrodded marshally tone.

deluxe crunch is a plimsoul clone, far as i'm aware, but i haven't tried it.

for lower gain marshall tones a hot plexi would be better.

a fuzz would be handy for hendrix
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I listened to the M1 and M2, and the Tech 21 British and wasn't too impressed. Maybe my speakers are bad, but a lot of the gain sounds those pedals produce sounded really artificial. The Bass Big Muff will probably be my next stop if this Joyo doesn't work out. Plexi pedals tend to be more along the lines of what I'm looking for, but usually the ones I find are pretty expensive.
I think I paid the princely sum of £17 for my hot plexi
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That sounds like the correct American price translated into GBP or Euros or whatever. Nice.

Usually you across-the-pond types have to pay the exact same numerical price, only switched to Euros that's a good 2-3 times what we bloody yanks pay.

It's a damn racket, I tell ya. Every time I hear the Andertons guys talk about how cheap a certain guitar is, I laugh my ass off.
I don't know anything about wah pedals. Any tips on who makes a good one?

Those Voodoo Lab pedals look a bit out of my price range at the moment. Anything over $100 is pretty much pushing it. If I could justify that expense, I'd already have a FullTone OCD and Lovepedal Les Lius.

I know Danelectro makes a ton of really cheap pedals, but I hear they're kinda bad.
Quote by samuraigoomba
I don't know anything about wah pedals. Any tips on who makes a good one?

Those Voodoo Lab pedals look a bit out of my price range at the moment. Anything over $100 is pretty much pushing it. If I could justify that expense, I'd already have a FullTone OCD and Lovepedal Les Lius.

I know Danelectro makes a ton of really cheap pedals, but I hear they're kinda bad.

I have a Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q I bought a long time ago, it works well and all but it doesn't have true bypass and robs some tone when not in use. So you might want to get one that has true bypass, there's some modded ones I've seen on Ebay but never tried one out.

Micro Vibe on Ebay $99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voodoo-Lab-Micro-Vibe-Uni-Vibe-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-/300975046800?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item461382c090

I have a Danelectro 7 Band EQ which works fine, it was the only one I've heard of that worked well. I don't think I'd buy any of the other ones.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Sep 27, 2013,
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret MKIII Sadly it's $170 but you might be able to find one cheaper. But that's exactly what you're looking for.
Yeah, that is the dilemma. I don't want to do what I did with guitars, and buy "entry level" gear that I end up replacing. I'll probably never be in a band or play gigs, but who knows, and there's no point in buying cheap shit if the real deal isn't that much more expensive.

That wah pedal on ebay is very tempting. I'll have to see what the rest of my expenses are like, maybe I can fit it in.
Quote by samuraigoomba
That sounds like the correct American price translated into GBP or Euros or whatever. Nice.

Usually you across-the-pond types have to pay the exact same numerical price, only switched to Euros that's a good 2-3 times what we bloody yanks pay.

It's a damn racket, I tell ya. Every time I hear the Andertons guys talk about how cheap a certain guitar is, I laugh my ass off.

yeah. i got mine from ******** when they had the good prices on the mooers etc. EDIT: holy crap, marc mart is censored now? I suppose because they were spamming the crap out of the forums

Here the hot plexi would likely be around £30-£35. I mean it's still good value at that price, but obviously it's even better value at half that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you might have to prioritize the sounds you want as no one or two pedals are gonna give you all that and turn a vibro champ into a marshall. Hendrix requires fuzz the others you mentioned require some form of distortion. you might want to look into a pedal that has both overdrive and distortion options or as mentioned quality budget pedals such as the joyo ones. as for wha personally I use a Morley classic wah which will give you a variety of sounds suitable for what you want. also keep in mind that those players use different guitars and while a Les Paul is great for ZZ Top not so good for hendrix
I've got the guitars covered, haha. I went on a bit of a spree. I've got a fernandes tele and a '56 reissue tokai strat coming. I suppose I'll have to play around with the fender amp, I might be better off selling it for a Vox AC30, small Orange tube stack or Mesa.

@dave:

Haha, I didn't realize certain stores were censored on UG. Guitar and gear prices are crazy outside the US. Feels like I spend enough on guitars here in the US, I shudder to think what I'd spend if I lived in the UK.
yeah it sucks. i normally try to buy things when they're on offer, since I'm fairly well aware of US prices, but still normally you're doing well if you get something which is approaching the US price, and that's when it's a really good deal most of the time. A few things here are around US prices, but as you said, most of the things are more.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by samuraigoomba
I've got the guitars covered, haha. I went on a bit of a spree. I've got a fernandes tele and a '56 reissue tokai strat coming. I suppose I'll have to play around with the fender amp, I might be better off selling it for a Vox AC30, small Orange tube stack or Mesa.

@dave:

Haha, I didn't realize certain stores were censored on UG. Guitar and gear prices are crazy outside the US. Feels like I spend enough on guitars here in the US, I shudder to think what I'd spend if I lived in the UK.

crazy thought but if you want marshall tone then get marshall amp. the dsl 40 watt perhaps.
Well, I just figured I'd get a few cheap pedals before dropping big bank on a Marshall. I definitely have plans to get a Marshall at some point, if only to crank that mother all the way up and hear the beautiful natural breakup. Unfortunately, that Marshall you mentioned is a good $600 American. But yeah, I'll have to play the vibrochamp and decide if I like it, or want to sell it. The DSL 40 looks pretty nice.

@dave: Yeah, I have some friends in Australia who play video games, and they pay about triple what the same items cost in the US.
Quote by samuraigoomba

@dave: Yeah, I have some friends in Australia who play video games, and they pay about triple what the same items cost in the US.

yeah australia seems to get an even rawer deal than we get in europe on most things
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So I got my '66 vibrochamp fixed up and ran the Joyo VO through it. It basically acts as a bass and mids boost. It adds a little distortion, but not much, even at 10 on drive and tone. I get a little natural overdrive from the amp at 6+ master volume, but even with only five watts, that's pretty loud for practice.

I was thinking about running 2 or more OD pedals into the amp. Or am I just not going to get a good driven tone out of a vibrochamp? I guess I could sell it and buy a Marshall, Blackheart or whatever. But the tone is very warm overall, if I could just get into overdriven territory I'm sure it would sound great.
Quote by samuraigoomba
So I got my '66 vibrochamp fixed up and ran the Joyo VO through it. It basically acts as a bass and mids boost. It adds a little distortion, but not much, even at 10 on drive and tone. I get a little natural overdrive from the amp at 6+ master volume, but even with only five watts, that's pretty loud for practice.

I was thinking about running 2 or more OD pedals into the amp. Or am I just not going to get a good driven tone out of a vibrochamp? I guess I could sell it and buy a Marshall, Blackheart or whatever. But the tone is very warm overall, if I could just get into overdriven territory I'm sure it would sound great.

You may want to sell it if you can't get the tones you want out of it. Plus getting a new amp is always cool..

On another note, I found this pedal that looked like a good prospect from the youtube vids I've found on it.

"Shaky Jimi" Vibe
http://www.amazon.com/Shaky-Jimi-Vibe/dp/B001I8ITQA/ref=pd_sim_MI_3
I ended up getting one and I like it, definitely has the Jimi vibe. Pretty big pedal but sturdy construction. There's no battery inside but I always use a power supply.

Jimi sound= Wah-wah (gcb-95 Dunlop)+rotovibe (Dunlop)+delay (dd5 Boss) and than some tubedistortion....really amazingly nice...chuck a fender infront and your good too go ;-)
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy