Hello there! I have a big question for you.

I'm about to change the bridge pickup in the guitar I'm buying soon.
I play brutal/technical death metal 95% of the time (also a lot of shreddy solos, but I'm using the neck pickup for it). No djent, deathcore, jazz, etc. Pure death metal.

The question is: Which PASSIVE pickup do you recommend me, for 7 string guitar (bridge position)? It will be downtuned to A standard. I thought about DiMarzio D-Activator 7, but I want to find the best bet. I don't care about the clean tones. I'd put EMGs there, but my guitar is wired for passives, and I don't want to drill holes for battery. Go!
Proudly endorsed by Kamecki Guitars and WBgear!

My guitars:
-B.C Rich NJ Jr.V Deluxe (6 string guitar)
-Kamecki Custom V guitar
Bareknuckle Aftermath. Why? Because they just kick all kinds of ass.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Personally id get a nicer sounding amp.
But..
BKP Warpig or Aftermath
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
pretty sure you could put EMGs in without modifying the guitar's body, the battery should just fit in the control cavity! other than that though I'll +1 on the BK Aftermath!
Most guitars will easily fit 2 9V batteries without requiring any modification to the guitar body. They just fit in the control cavity. Of course, you would have to modify the pickup cavities if you wanted to put EMGs in there, but if you were thinking about actives, you can get a set of Seymour Duncan Blackout Phase I, which are the same size as passive pickups. This is what I did to my 7-string guitar, and I did not have to drill the body or modify it in any way.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 26, 2013,
You need a new amp.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'm never recommending Barenuckles at 100% cuz they are hand made and not always consistant, sometimes they work with higher or lower resistence and power that what is written. They are very nice pick ups but it is always a gamble
Dimarzio Dactivator 7 will make you happy and are cheaper than Barenuckles.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)