Page 1 of 9
Sup

Figured the Pit hasn't had a decent competition for some time, and I've had this idea in my head for a while now. The objective of the competition, as always is to write and record a song, which will then be voted on to determine the winner. The catch is that you must write this song in collaboration with somebody else. Your collab partner will be assigned to you from a list of other competitors. You then collaborate, maybe write great song. Will be good. Glorious times, da?

Rules

-When you sign up you will be put into a pool of competitors. Once the pool has enough people, the competition will begin and you will be assigned your partners. UPDATE: You will be assigned your partners by PM, nobody but myself, you, and your partner will know who you are collaborating with. You must not reveal publicly who your partner is, it will remain unknown until voting is over. Failure to comply will result in termination. Also disqualification.
-The deadline will be 10 days after the start date.
-If you drop out of the competition after it's begun, you are screwing over myself, your partner, and your ancestors. Don't do it or I will hunt you down and leave sarcastic post-it notes on your door. Only sign up if you are sure you can commit to a ten-day-period of collaboration.
-You must write one (1) song, minimum 3 minutes long, maximum 88014.332 hours long. It cannot be a cover.
-Both partners must have an active role in songwriting. It's not enough for one person to write the whole song and then the other to record it. Whether you ping-pong Guitar Pro files or shuttle stems, I'm not fussed, but both must participate roughly equally to the composition.
-You can rehash old material if you want - I can't really tell when you have - but that is a pretty lame-ass approach, man. If you do this, make sure both partners still do something.
-Any genre is acceptable. Fusion of genres is more than acceptable.
-Production quality doesn't necessarily have to be an issue but a lot of people in the pit have a basic grasp on production, just mix to the best of your ability.
-Your final submission should be in .mp3 format (or .ogg if you happen to be boycotting the mp3 format), and should be PMed to myself before the competition deadline. Late entries will be burned.

Not sure whether to have it put up for a public vote in the Pit or to have a panel of judges...thoughts?

List of competitors:

JustRooster
willT08
whoomit
Spambot_2
K'Nuckles
Random3
ChucklesMginty
loose bowels
Mathedes
Aralingh
TheTee56
progdude93
xxdarrenxx
korinaflyingv
macashmack
Joshua1207
DisarmGoliath
Spoony_Bard
damian_91
HailFire5150
yoman297
AtaBorMan
StewieSwan
captaincrunk

Stand-ins:

itsonlyauser

Competition has begun. Deadline is the 18th of October at 23:59 GMT. Please submit via PM to me.

If you want to sign up post in this thread. If you want to withdraw before the competition starts, post in this thread. Questions, queries, post in this thread. If you want to sell high quality fake passports ids, do not post in this thread.

Signups are now closed. You may use this thread to discuss progress on your song but please do not reveal who your partner is on pain of pain.

If you wish to participate but did not put your name down in time, you may put your name down for the stand-in waiting list. Stand-ins will replace any competitors who drop out. There's no guarantee anyone will drop out, but you have a chance.

If you wish to drop out, please do so by PM to myself and your partner for the sake of maintaining anonymity in the competition. If your partner hasn't made contact with you by the 1st, please PM me and I will sort something out.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Oct 13, 2013,
Okay. I can only contribute Bass, Acoustic and vocals right now, so I hope whoever I get paired with can do the rest.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'd sign up but if I get put with someone who doesn't want the wubs I'm screwed
Quote by willT08
I'd sign up but if I get put with someone who doesn't want the wubs I'm screwed

That is part of the entertainment >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
Depends on how many people sign up and how soon, within the next three days maybe?
🙈 🙉 🙊
Sign me up!

I can program drums for pretty much any genre, produce the thing, add synths/soundscapes, and I can record vocals, acoustic and electric guitar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
List updated.

Note that partners will be picked completely at random, I'm not gonna be assigning according to any criteria, so if between you and your partner you have no way of recording, say, guitar...you'll have to work around it. That's part of the challenge of the competition.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Liking this idea so sign me up. I can do guitar, bass, program drums + synths and some rudimentary woodwind (clarinet/saxophone).
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Nah but seriously, I can do guitar, bass and drum programming (but can't mix for shit.)

So sign me up.

Hush, you

Updated. We now have enough for 4 partnerships. Once we have enough for 10 or more I'll start the competition. I suggest competitors sticky this so they can keep track of things.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Sep 26, 2013,
My banana senses are uneasy.

I am unsure I will be able to commit to such an interesting competition.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Put me in. Can contribute guitar and bass parts.
We're all alright!
Quote by TheTee56
My banana senses are uneasy.

I am unsure I will be able to commit to such an interesting competition.

What's stopping you?
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Aralingh
K, I'm up.

K, updated list. Just so I know and can plan accordingly, what specific timeframe would be inconvenient for you?
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
K, updated list. Just so I know and can plan accordingly, what specific timeframe would be inconvenient for you?

I think all would agree that if the challenge has a 7-day limit, it would be best for the contest to start on Saturday.
Quote by Aralingh
I think all would agree that if the challenge has a 7-day limit, it would be best for the contest to start on Saturday.

Saturday would be entirely doable, assuming I can get around 20 people signed up by then.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
What's stopping you?

An inner fear of failure.

But now that I think about it, you don't know where I live.
Therefore you can't harass me once I most likely fail to deliver.

So sign my fine peel ass up.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Quote by TheTee56
An inner fear of failure.

But now that I think about it, you don't know where I live.
Therefore you can't harass me once I most likely fail to deliver.

So sign my fine peel ass up.

If you drop out I will find your fine peel ass and make it into a smoothie >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
If you drop out I will find your fine peel ass and make it into a smoothie >_>

Smoothies don't agree with me.

Make it a pie.
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

Quote by TheTee56
Smoothies don't agree with me.

Make it a pie.

Dropouts don't deserve to be that delicious
🙈 🙉 🙊
Stef you are brilliant as always. <3
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by K'Nuckles
Is a week enough btw? I imagine a lot of people will have work and other shit going on to be able to give it max attention.

Yeah maybe a little longer? Like 10 days or maybe a fortnight?
OUT OF ORDER
10 days it is. That allows for two weekends if we can get it started this Saturday. OP updated.

Quote by Spoony_Bard
Stef you are brilliant as always. <3

I try >_>

Does that mean you will be participating?
🙈 🙉 🙊
I'm in, doing stuff when someone else is on stake is easier for me, as I figure, this might be for a lot of others as well.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by ChucklesMginty
So you'll be assigning partners at random?

Yup, will basically just pick partners out of a hat.

I reckon if we get enough people doing this we could release the results as a mini-album. Anyway, list updated.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Don't sign him up, he's on drugs.

PS, entity, pair me with someone cool and I'll throw a reacharound your way
Updated.

The pairings will be random, so I guess I might be getting a random reacharaound, possibly >_>
🙈 🙉 🙊