Heck, yeah, it does. Weird. I've searched over the pedalboard, and don't see any distortion pedals, at least not any that are obvious. I have to compress the pic to get the entire thing to upload, but I'll upload it in a minute...
This is Joe Satriani's pedalboard on his Unstoppable Momentum tour. I did the VIP thing, and got to go back stage and meet him. I grabbed a pic of his board, amps, guitars, and his opener, Steve Morse's, board.

These are the pedals I picked out:

2x Time Machine delay
2x Pedal Power
2x Ibanez Flanger (thanks!)
Marshall Amp Pedal
Boss DM-3 Delay
Micro POG
Digitech Whammy5
VOX volume pedal

I didn't see any distortion pedals anywhere. There are some 'crunch' tape labels on the Marshall pedal, so it's likely that he's using the built-in distortion in his signature head.
Attachments:
photo.JPG
Pretty nice pedal. Ive got one myself
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by flexiblemile
Does he really need distortion pedals? :p

Was about to say that.. 12 ***ing channels

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Sep 26, 2013,
nice pics
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by chemikalguy

I didn't see any distortion pedals anywhere. There are some 'crunch' tape labels on the Marshall pedal, so it's likely that he's using the built-in distortion in his signature head.

Well yeah. Distortion pedals are pretty amateur, for most part. 99% of the time, they're used as a compromise. "I love the cleans/crunch on this amp, I'll just use a dirt pedal to make up the rest of my needs". If you have money like JS, if you have a sig amp like JS (especially one as versatile as a JVM), you definitely do not need a standalone dirt pedal. The whole point of dirt pedals is to *try* to do what amps do on their own.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Disagree, really. I know of enough people who just have a pedalboard that can be plugged into any amp and give them the tone they want. Especially for traveling lightly or a tour with a different backline at every show.

For anything that's not some form of metal I can't think of a situation where there's no good affordable pedal to replace a drive channel.
I guess that's always been my impression - that you get a set of pedals to get your tone so that you can infinitely adjust as your song/mood dictates. I'm not familiar enough with amps to know if this is even possible or realistic.
That idea pretty much goes directly against the GGnA motto.

The answer is always "What you really need is a new amp".

You may view gear differently, and that's okay.

But I think most of us here agree that your amp is absolutely the foundation and majority of your tone. pedals should be treated as accessories, not necessities.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ I think, to be fair, it does depend on what you mainly play. the metal guys normally want an amp which will do that distorted tone on its own (or with an OD boost pedal). I agree 100% that that's the best way to get those tones if you need them most of the time.

A lot of the lower gain players like pedals, though.

It just depends on what you need, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?