I often see people alone only in coffee places or the grocery. But everywhere else like at the movies or at a restaurant, people are always in pairs or groups even when they don't look like they're enjoying the company they're in (sometimes).

I do a lot of things solo mostly bc I consider myself an introvert so most crowds make me uncomfortable and leave me drained. I've gone to movies by myself, gone to eat at local places, gone on weekend getaways. My bf thinks it's weird and says only losers do it. But the way I see it, that's less baggage for me to worry about. I can visit places I want without having to worry about other people (usually bitching about something). I can watch whatever movie, chick flick or animated movie, I want. Plus it's a lot cheaper.

It's fun to hang out with other people but I don't see a problem with doing stuff by myself.

Do you do things like these yourself? If so, why? If not, why not and what is your opinion of people who do?
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
your bf sounds like a loser.

i dont do stuff alone often but having a coffee/some food/read the newspaper/smoking at a café or something happens from time to time.

i never go to the movies and i have no reason to go out to the pub on my own as im always available to find a friend.

i don't have a problem with it but it just doesn't cross my mind that often.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I dunno, I don't wanna get to a point where I'm justifying being alone because it's cheaper
People who need someone with them to do things are a lot weirder than people who are comfortable doing things alone in my mind. Says a lot about how insecure people can be to not only need someone with them at all times but look down on the alternative.

I've been to movies alone and I go out to eat by myself all the time. It's great, I get to do what I want to do, eat what I want to eat, and only ever have to pay for myself and rely on myself.
I hate being on my own while out, I feel uncomfortable and just generally enjoy company with people I like over solitude.

Don't really see an issue with people doing it but usually going to the cinema is something you'd do with friends. When I went to see The Hobbit with my mates there was a guy on his own sitting next to me in maybe his 40s or 50s and he was a really nice person. I felt terrible for him to think that he had no one to see the movie with so I hope he's happy and not lonely.
West Ham United
Quote by Rockford_rocks
People who need someone with them to do things are a lot weirder than people who are comfortable doing things alone in my mind. Says a lot about how insecure people can be to not only need someone with them at all times but look down on the alternative.

I've been to movies alone and I go out to eat by myself all the time. It's great, I get to do what I want to do, eat what I want to eat, and only ever have to pay for myself and rely on myself.

ITP: We ignore that humans are social animals
Quote by willT08
I dunno, I don't wanna get to a point where I'm justifying being alone because it's cheaper

Lol I guess I'm just cheap. It's just that with me and my bf, usually whoever invited to do something pays for it. And I like to eat Japanese food which is a little pricey so I'd go by myself when he doesn't even feel like eating.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by King Donkey
I hate being on my own while out, I feel uncomfortable and just generally enjoy company with people I like over solitude.

Don't really see an issue with people doing it but usually going to the cinema is something you'd do with friends. When I went to see The Hobbit with my mates there was a guy on his own sitting next to me in maybe his 40s or 50s and he was a really nice person. I felt terrible for him to think that he had no one to see the movie with so I hope he's happy and not lonely.

some people just dont find going to a restaurant/pub alone enjoyable

how about that?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by willT08
ITP: We ignore that humans are social animals

I'm not denying that, and just as often I go out with friends.

I just enjoy my alone time, and think it's weird when other people can't be alone.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
some people just dont find going to a restaurant/pub alone enjoyable

how about that?

Sure?
West Ham United
Quote by Rockford_rocks

I'm not sure if they're weirder, people just have different comfort level in social situations.

But my reasons for doing things solo are pretty much just like yours.

Quote by King Donkey
I felt terrible for him to think that he had no one to see the movie with so I hope he's happy and not lonely.

I try not to assume that people out by themselves are lonely probably bc I'm not. There are times I'd go out alone bc I'm fed up with being around people. I know parents who do that, like a mini vacation from their kids.
Quote by Jackal58
I like to do things alone just as much as I like doing things with others.

Like spooning.
Sail upon the open skies
It depends on the situation, where you're going, what you're doing, who you're with, etc.

For example, I'd rather go see a metal concert alone than with some of my friends who I know don't like metal. They would just be standing around not having a good time and I would feel bad because to me it would be awesome. Ideally, I'd go with friends who enjoy metal, but it's not always possible in every situation.

I do think that some people put too much emphasis on always having someone to go out with though. Like I know people who would rather go to a bar with someone they don't even like than go alone, just because they're afraid of being seen as a loser or loner in public. Then when they're out, they don't even talk to each other and just look at their phones, but they justify it as being okay because as long as they're in a group they feel normal. That is a situation I'd rather just be alone in.
I think both are equally valid options - being alone and being with others - and can make the same experience feel entirely different. Sometimes I just wanna eat lunch by myself. But I wouldn't eat by myself in public because public = with other people and if I'm eating by myself I have to talk to people (waiters, cashiers, etc) but I would take a walk by myself because I don't have to talk to anyone.
cat
i've never gone to the movies myself, and now that i think about it i don't really know why...i hate it when people try to talk to me in the middle of a movie, even if it's a bad one. i'll do other things alone though. except getaways, because i'm a bit of a recluse.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
If I want to watch a movie by myself I will download it and watch it in my room. Again, don't wanna talk to people if I'm intent on being alone.
cat
I went to a cannibal corpse concert by myself. Had the time of my life. I've only been to the movies once by my self, it was a great watching experience, because no one is asking you about the plot or what they think of the film. Also, all the pop corn to my self.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Hey, we're all different. Live and let live. People should start accepting others for what they are instead of calling them losers or whatever. Do your thing and try not to think too much about what people think of you.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Last edited by shelovemyguitar at Sep 26, 2013,
Iv'e only gone to the movies on my own once, about a year ago me and my mate were going to bunk off school but then he pussied out and went, don't know why, iv'e done it loads of times and was never caught so I snuck into see Dredd `but then realised it was 3D and I had no glasses.
Ah hell yeah. I do stuff solo all the time, it's great. For all the obvious reasons (less hassle, no complaints, etc.) but also it gives you time to just think and relax or wholly commit yourself to whatever it is you may be doing. A lot of outdoor stuff is fun to do solo.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Iv'e only gone to the movies on my own once, about a year ago me and my mate were going to bunk off school but then he pussied out and went, don't know why, iv'e done it loads of times and was never caught so I snuck into see Dredd `but then realised it was 3D and I had no glasses.

Glad to hear you didnt dig some out from the recycling bins. I see people do that shit all the time. Disgusting.
Sail upon the open skies
I've never been to a movie by myself, and I don't go to restaurants by myself (except for takeout).

As Sartre said, "If you're lonely when you're alone, then you're in bad company."
Quote by progdude93
I've never been to a movie by myself, and I don't go to restaurants by myself (except for takeout).

As Sartre said, "If you're lonely when you're alone, then you're in bad company."

What if I'm not lonely when I'm alone?

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I rarely eat out, but I go to the movies on my own all the time. The first time I did it I was worried I was going to look weird but then half of the people in the audience were alone too. Was grand.

That's the thing, too. I read about in a psych class before. It's something like a spotlight syndrome where people think they draw so much attention to themselves. In reality, nobody cares. And if you're in the movies, people are there to watch the movie. They could care less about you.
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by kikaykitko
That's the thing, too. I read about in a psych class before. It's something like a spotlight syndrome where people think they draw so much attention to themselves. In reality, nobody cares. And if you're in the movies, people are there to watch the movie. They could care less about you.

Yeah I often think about that. I find comfort in the thought that no one gives a shit about me.

And when you are in the cinema with people and someone comes in on their own you barely bat an eyelid.
Quote by deadsmileyface
There's nothing wrong with being an introvert, a lot of extroverts won't understand you though.

I know that. From my experience, extroverts have a hard time wrapping their heads around introverts being able to entertain themselves or something like that.
Quote by Jackal58