Page 1 of 5
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/26/atheism-to-be-taught-irish-schoolchildren

In a historic move that will cheer Richard Dawkins, atheists in Ireland have secured the right to teach the republic's primary schoolchildren that God doesn't exist.

The first ever atheist curriculum for thousands of primary-school pupils in Ireland has been drawn up by Atheist Ireland in an education system that the Catholic church hierarchy has traditionally dominated.

The class of September 2014 will be reading texts such as Dawkins' The Magic of Reality, his book aimed at children, as well as other material at four different primary levels, according to Atheist Ireland.

Up to 16,000 primary schoolchildren who attend the fast-growing non-denominational Irish school sector will receive direct tuition on atheism as part of their basic introduction course to ethics and belief systems.

:|
"Okay class, go to your seats. Today, we will be discussing Atheism.

There is no God.

Alright, see you next week, kids!"

Quote by Weaponized
We did it reddit!

Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Sep 26, 2013,
Day 1 of class: God doesn't exist.

Day 2: Fractions!

Quote by Banjocal
"Okay class, go to your seats. Today, we will be discussing Atheism.

There is no God.

Alright, see you next week, kids!"

Damn you
Jane Donnelly, a member of Atheist Ireland and a parent of two children in an Irish secondary school, welcomed the creation of an atheism alternative for Irish pupils.

"I opted my two girls out of religious education classes and they were told to go to the library and find a philosophy book to read during RE instead. The range of philosophy books was very limited so I sent them into school each day with a copy of Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion for them to read."

:|
Absolutely stupid. Atheism should be a unit in an RE course. This is just as bad as teaching one specific religion in school. Too far.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Hmm, I don't know how to feel about this being in public schools. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are they just teaching a course on it, or is it going to be considered the truthful stance around which other religious philosophies contradict? I'm personally all for teaching more people about it though. The truth is tough to ignore once you've been introduced. /my bias
Also isn't having a society for atheism kind of like having a party for anarchy?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Acϵ♠
Absolutely stupid. Atheism should be a unit in an RE course. This is just as bad as teaching one specific religion in school. Too far.

I like this. Teach all the religions and let the kids pick the one that sounds least nutty.
Quote by Banjocal
Also isn't having a society for atheism kind of like having a party for anarchy?

Um, no?
Quote by Banjocal

no
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by seanlang01
Um, no?
It just seems totally unecessary. Atheism is about the absence of a God. It's a concept everyone knows about.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
It just seems totally unecessary. Atheism is about the absence of a God. It's a concept everyone knows about.

But it's an opportunity to meet other people and discuss it.

Same as any other group. It's not like they hold service at Christian groups.
Quote by Banjocal

This totally. I can just see it turning into an anti-religion thing instead of a pro-absence thing.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Either spend time talking about this viewpoint and the core beliefs of popular religious movements or don't talk about them at all and leave it out of the school system.
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
I like this. Teach all the religions and let the kids pick the one that sounds least nutty.

when you introduce them to all of em at the same time it's probably easier for the wee little mind to recognize that it's all trash
Quote by Banjocal

Yeah true, but there's a lot of misconceptions about philosophies about how to come to that conclusion and even the people who believe that. I'm kind of astounded it got into public schools. I would figure they would just have a chapter on it in a book or something. Like I said, I'm not necessarily all for this, but I can see some benefits. I'd like to read a better breakdown of how the course works/is taught.
Quote by Mr E Meat
when you introduce them to all of em at the same time it's probably easier for the wee little mind to recognize that it's all trash

Exactly.

#TopSecretAtheistAgenda
Remember that this is PRIMARY school. It's absolutely fine to teach schoolchildren about what some people believe in, but certainly not young kids who might find it difficult to discern a lesson on hypothetical things from their other, more factual classes like maths and such.
Quote by badfish_lewis
Either spend time talking about this viewpoint and the core beliefs of popular religious movements or don't talk about them at all and leave it out of the school system.

This.
Quote by Mr E Meat

heh, this should definitely be the way to go
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by captainsnazz
Remember that this is PRIMARY school. It's absolutely fine to teach schoolchildren about what some people believe in, but certainly not young kids who might find it difficult to discern a lesson on hypothetical things from their other, more factual classes like maths and such.

This is also true. Nothing wrong with a high school World Religions course, but teaching little kids about anything they're not really going to get that it's just something people believe and not fact.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Sep 26, 2013,
Religious atheists are the most annoying people. I prefer non-religious atheists.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
No belief system should be taught in schools, I hated being thought religion in school then getting in trouble for contradicting the teacher and asking questions, I only did me communion and conformation for the money.
Quote by Hydra150
Religious atheists are the most annoying people. I prefer non-religious atheists.

What's a religious atheist?
Quote by macashmack

I assume he means people who are really into the fact that they are atheists, people who try to spread the word, etc.
Quote by macashmack

The type whose treats their atheism as a religion. Particularly those who would argue enthusiastically if a Christian or the like ever implied that atheism was a religion.
We don't need zealots on the a-train.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150

^^

I despise people who have to point out their atheism at every opportunity.
Quote by Hydra150
The type whose treats their atheism as a religion. Particularly those who would argue enthusiastically if a Christian or the like ever implied that atheism was a religion.

The type whose treats their atheism as a religion, misunderstood atheism.
Yeah they're just as annoying as anyone who tries to spread their religion around, except sometimes worse depending on the level of I-think-I'm-special and smugness they have
On the real I'd have to see the curriculum before deciding whether this is decent or not. This bit just sounds like something that should happen anyway
will receive direct tuition on atheism as part of their basic introduction course to ethics and belief systems.
^thing is, even removed from a curriculum, it's kind of a given. even young kids are aware that there are athiests (even if they don't have the word for it), and teachers likely always mention it.

Quote by Rockford_rocks
I assume he means people who are really into the fact that they are atheists, people who try to spread the word, etc.

gnostic athiests, basically. they "know" there is no god.

perfect logic, eh?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Hydra150

Oh yea I hate those guys they're asshats.
Quote by Acϵ♠

Mhmmm. It's just damn silly.

Quote by willT08
On the real I'd have to see the curriculum before deciding whether this is decent or not. This bit just sounds like something that should happen anyway

Why? Why exactly should Atheism be taught separately from religion? It is, like it or not, a form of belief akin to religion, in that most gnostic Atheists have a form of faith (read: something they cannot prove with 100% certainty) in the idea that there is no god.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 26, 2013,
Quote by Acϵ♠

This

They should teach a basic introduction to all the Major religions (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Ect.)

And then they should allow (but not require) students to take classes that provide a more in depth examination of the beliefs of a specific religion, according to that student's interests, Athesism included.
I can never think of a good sig.
Page 1 of 5