Hi,
i would like you people to give me as many different ways to set my amp
for as many genre's as you know, cause i had some trouble getting the sound
i need.
The best amp tune to play metal and punk will be very appriciated.
but i'm opened to other suggestions too.
My bass is an: Ibanez sr600
My amp is a:Fender rumble
If you got a Rumble, I'm banking that you don't have an EQ outside of the High, Mid, Low knobs. This is very much a "different strokes" topic as it stands. One of the best things to do is buy a Graphic EQ pedal so you can adjust your tone to your liking. How you set this is completely up to you and you will hear different suggestions about metal and punk from different players. One of the best places to start is the Flat setting. On your knobs, this will be at 12 o'clock (straight up). Paul from Shadows Fall uses this flat setting. I also use this setting for playing things that are heavier. If you go and buy an EQ. You'll have more luck getting the sound you really want. Cranking your bass will give you a heavier sound, but you'll lose in the higher ranges. One thing that I have learned (from Reba McEntire's Sound man Ricky M) is that when you raise one thing, you have to take something away. There are three EQ setings that I use with my bass is: Flat, Up/Down, and the Smile.

Flat we discussed and, on an EQ, Will be directly in the middle of the slider. Most of these click when you get there.

Up/down is usually every other EQ slider will be one or two higher on the panel than the other. I will try to demonstrate (-- is one slider and the zero is the middle)

-- -- --
0 -- --

The smile looks as it says across the EQ, a smile. I usually use the small smile versus the big smile. The small smile, would basically be 2,1,0,1,2. This means that the first slider on the left of a 5 band EQ would be slid up 2 notches, the next is 1 notch, then flat, then 1 up, then 2 up. A large smile means that the closest slider to the right and left side are all the way up and the middle is at zero. On a 5 band EQ, you would be ten, 5,0,5, ten.

The choice is entirely up to you. and if you stick with the knobs, you can use this same method to set them.
My Gear. Guitar
ESP LTD MH417 7-string
Epiphone Goth Les Paul

Bass:
Ibanez SR 756
Ibanez BTB 676
This seems like the wrong approach to EQ to me. EQ won't give you a sound, it will just refine or compliment an existing sound. Technique, strings, pick-ups and such are the things that really create tone; EQ just enhances and outlines particular elements of the existing tone. It won't give you a new sound altogether; the best applications of EQ are nearly always subtle.

The best way to EQ is to use your ears and to be conservative. Start from a flat EQ (usually 12 o'clock on most amps but not always) and listen to the sound, making slight adjustments based on what you think will help move you in the right direction while bearing in mind that if the fundamental sound isn't there, no amount of EQ can make it appear.

The notion of "pre-sets" is redundant because unless you're in the same acoustic space playing the same bass with the same strings and the same pick-ups in the same way with the same hands through the same amplifier and the same cabinet then there are far too many other variables effecting the frequency response of your instrument for a vague preset to be of any use.

There are a few general tips that can help you get started such as boosting upper-mids being useful for aggressive driven tones, or cutting low-mids for slap tones, but these are not always applicable, and the particular frequencies that work will always vary based on a number of variables. The best approach is to experiment and figure out what works for yourself, while trying not to boost or cut any frequency to an extreme, and remembering that EQ settings are no substitute for correct technique (which can usually produce most of the sounds you would want without touching a single control).

Also remember that what sounds good in your bedroom by yourself and what sounds good in a mix with other musicians are often two entirely different things.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Ziph,

I totally have to agree with your last comment.

The musicians you play with can affect your tone above all. The other instruments and the amount of instruments will have you changing your tones. I can use Metallica to show this. Metallica during the Cliff Burton era had a really high guitar tone. Cliff matched this with a lower bass tone. Jason Newsted's Era had Metallica with a lower toned guitar sound but a higher toned bass. S&M had all of those extra instruments and the guitars bit into their mid range a bit more. Jason scooped his mids out and went all bass. He came out a little lower than the cellos and double bass. Bob Rock and ST. Anger we wont talk about. The sound went somewhere into left field. Death Magnetic has Robert Trujillo and his lower tone blended into James and Kurt's heavy mid range tones. Neat huh?

I really wasnt thinking about the actual bass. Your ash bodied SR 600 has Bartolini MK1 PUPs with the EQB-IIIS EQ system. I have the same PUPs and EQ system on my SR756. I personally LOVE these (but the MK2's in my BTB 676 is much better). You have a great advantage over your EQ by having the switch and EQ. I'm sure you have played with these a little bit. I usually keep my Bartolini EQ's on max, balanced on both pickups, and change the tone with the Mid switch. You'll notices a difference in tone depending on which way you have your switch. The tone is higher (600MHz) when the selector switch is in the down position versus the up (250MHz). On my BTB, I will play with the tones during a song to find the right tone for that song. On a side note, mines a 2012 and why I have the MK2's without a switch compared to the 2013's that have BH1's with the EQB-IIIS. The more you play with yours, the more tones you will find that you like for certain songs and venues.
My Gear. Guitar
ESP LTD MH417 7-string
Epiphone Goth Les Paul

Bass:
Ibanez SR 756
Ibanez BTB 676