Hey, I'm looking for a bridge pickup for around £50-40, which has quite a high output for heavy,thrash metal and hard rock also quite Bass Heavy(6-7/10) with Mids to be around (5-6/10) with the treble to be around (4-5/10) and have a nice crunch also very tight sounding to the distortion channels, and it isn't muddy.
Last edited by Cakey:D at Sep 26, 2013,
Good humbuckers don't really start til the £60 mark, you seem to know what you want though, just boost your budget an extra ten or twenty pounds and you could get exactly what you want. There's to much personal preference to really expect a good answer when it comes to pickups but that said basswood bodies are characteristically quite trebly and you want something quite bassy, if you like the sound of active pickups an EMG 81 might be a good bet just because they don't really respond to the characteristics of a guitar that well
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
Quote by gay4slipknot
Good humbuckers don't really start til the £60 mark

That's not true. I know of several handwinders who have a really good rep whose humbuckers start at around the £40-£50 mark- Oilcity, MoJo (in Northern Ireland), Jesse Loureiro (Spain). I haven't tried them myself, but have heard good things- and it's certainly possible to make a good pickup for that kind of money, I have a set of Swinesheads which were ~£40 per humbucker, IIRC, before they went bust, and they're excellent.

Quote by gay4slipknot
basswood bodies are characteristically quite trebly

wut, no they're not. if anything their treble content is attenuated. Basswood tends to be almost all mids, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also consider the Tesla VR-Extremes and Plasmas.

http://www.teslapickups.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 26, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc

wut, no they're not. if anything their treble content is attenuated. Basswood tends to be almost all mids, really.

This for sure. I find the higher mids on my Ibanez RG (basswood body) to be pretty spiky.

TS, exactly what guitar (make/model) are we talking about? What amp are you using as well? If you're using a high gain amp or using pedals to get into high gain territory, a super high output pickup isn't necessary. The voicing of the pickup and how it works with your guitar's wood will be a more important factor.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Tone zone, crunch lab, maybe a Dactivator but I would reccomend trying one before buing it because it sounds its own way
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
I'm using a Cort X6 SM (Maple Neck, Maple Fret, Basswood) atm paired with a marshall MG FX 50 but im not getting that crunch out of it that i like in my distortion with no pedal's also i can only find Tesla Extreme's in pairs (Neck and Bridge) and not just A bridge from the UK
honestly if you're running an MG i'd put your money towards a better amp.

Granted, £50 won't get you that much closer to a better amp so it's really your call.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
meh, thats just a spare amp i normally run, half the time its into a JCM 600 combo, or Guitar rig 5
ah ok no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Btw, do you know anywhere i can get pup's from, since most are from the US
Sounds like you want Dimarzio Tonezone. Its warm, midrange and bass heavy and definetly a hot pickup, pushes my Valveking nicely. Sounds great in my basswood LTD.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Cool, alot of people say the Dimarzio Tonezone's are good for what im looking for, but where can i pick them up withen my price range? Ebay hit the good 70-80 pound mark and not really for the 40-50 here D:
On used market other than ebay. Cant really help you there, Dimarzio is a high profile pickup brand and the price as new reflects it.

If you want to check less known brands try the UK based Iron Gear pickups. They are in your price range, though what to recommend I have no idea. Hammerhead should be bassy but no idea if its mid or treble heavy, smooth or piercing. They do have other models though, check their descriptions. Reviews and Youtube samples are almost nonexistent.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
thomann might be a little cheaper, though if you're only buying the one pickup the postage charge will likely erode most of the savings...

and yeah dimarzios and duncans are dear in europe. just the way it is. that's why, while i have no problem with them as stock pickups, i don't see myself ever buying them to retrofit to a guitar, because there are better-value handwound options.

most of those handwinders could make you a custom pickup, if you know the type of tone you want. whether that'll bump up the price, though, I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Doesn't STEWMAC ship internationally?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've listened to demos of the Iron gear Hammerhead and they sound pretty promising, any other idea's before i go straight to the hammerheads
If you're willing to go with active pickups, the Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB-2 are actually something you should look into. They're eq'ed at: 7, 9, 5 (bass, mid, treble). They're quite balanced. I too play a lot of Thrash, Heavy Metal, and Hard Rock. And they get a great low end, have lots of mid-punch, and a decent amount of highs.

The only disadvantage is, you'd have to get an active neck pickup. I use the Blackouts AHB-1 in the neck position, which are advertised as a solo pickup. They're eq'ed at: 6, 5, 8 (bass, mid, treble). I also use this pickup for cleans.

If you've ever heard EMG's, the Blackouts are comparable to them (the AHB-1 to the EMG81 & AHB-2 to the EMG85). They're a lot cleaner sounding than EMGs, imho. I'd highly recommend Blackouts.

Just a note: you will have to eq your amp differently than you would with most passive pickups. Active pickups were originally designed for jazz, so they can sound great clean or distorted -- but you have to eq your amp correctly!
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 28, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
If you're willing to go with active pickups, the Seymour Duncan Blackouts AHB-2 are actually something you should look into. They're eq'ed at: 7, 9, 5 (bass, mid, treble). They're quite balanced. I too play a lot of Thrash, Heavy Metal, and Hard Rock. And they get a great low end, have lots of mid-punch, and a decent amount of highs.

The only disadvantage is, you'd have to get an active neck pickup. I use the Blackouts AHB-1 in the neck position, which are advertised as a solo pickup. They're eq'ed at: 6, 5, 8 (bass, mid, treble). I also use this pickup for cleans.

If you've ever heard EMG's, the Blackouts are comparable to them (the AHB-1 to the EMG81 & AHB-2 to the EMG85). They're a lot cleaner sounding than EMGs, imho. I'd highly recommend Blackouts.

Just a note: you will have to eq your amp differently than you would with most passive pickups. Active pickups were originally designed for jazz, so they can sound great clean or distorted -- but you have to eq your amp correctly!

However Blackouts are more expensive than any Dimarzio pup here in Europe. Doubly so if you need an active neck pickup aswell.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I think im leaning towards a hammerhead from irongear, their specs seem pretty promising, also their reviews , if anyone else has any ideas for pups post it
Quote by MaaZeus
However Blackouts are more expensive than any Dimarzio pup here in Europe. Doubly so if you need an active neck pickup aswell.

Ah, that's a good point. Didn't think of that. I suppose shipping alone would increase the cost. (I'm fairly certain that Seymour Duncan does more business here in the US.) DiMarzio is a solid company though.
Yeha, u can pick Duncans up for like $50 in the US which is like £35 here.
Btw, has anyone used hammerhead pickups from iron gear o.0, they look a bit like invaders