beethoven, bach and mozart are the "big 3"

i really like handel as well. and vivaldi. heck most of the big names you've heard of are really good.

it might be better to get recommendations for specific pieces?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HEY Mac! You figured out how to get the .gif avatar! Nice

But yeah, everyone has already stated the composers that I would have said.
Ralph Vaughan Williams, my favorite composer
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Bach is the best, without a doubt.
Guitars:
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 string
Ibanez RG370DXGP2
Some cheap Cort Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60

Effects:
Line 6 Pod HD500

Keyboard/Piano:
Yamaha YDP161 Arius Digital Piano
Bach, Rachmaninov, Grieg, and Chopin are some of my favorites. There's also Bloch, Mendelssohn, and Bruch.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
like I even need to say anything

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I already have a lot of Bach, Beethoven, and I know "a london symphony" by Williams (I like that piece a lot), and I have some Haydn, some Tchaikovsky, I have "Dance of the Knights" by Sergei Prokofiev, so those are some guys that I like, is there anyone like them? They are all different so if there are people like one of them if you would be so kind as to make a list or something, that would be very appreciated!
I didn't know about Brahms, he's good! Thanks
I always advocate for knowing a few very well over simply being familiar with a lot.

A lot of Bach and Beethoven doesn't mean anything. You can listen to even just one Beethoven string quartet and glean something new and profound every time.

I've listened to Bach for years and I'm not even a quarter through his known catalog. Same with Beethoven and Brahms.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 27, 2013,
Quote by InstantMustache

I see your link and raise you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHeZ_IIyag

Brahms, Mozart, Schubert, Puccini are my favorite classical composers. As far as choral composers, I love Eric Whitacre, Rene Clausen, Irving Fine, and Corigliano are my favies
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Really depends on what kind of composers and what they wrote that you like. Like you could be into the romantic era and into the piano sonatas of that era, but not anything else. It's hard to say who are good composers for you when we don't know what you like, cause all eras of classical music are different. And there is a drastic change from the medieval era to the romantic era.

Personally though, i enjoy choir/choral music from the medieval and renaissance eras.
I'd recommend listening to the work of composers like Hildegard von bingen, Guillaume Dufay, Léonin, Thomas Tallis, William Byrd and John Dowland if you find yourself enjoying that stuff.

Here's an example of what i enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFwxnWWjIeU
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Shirate
I see your link and raise you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHeZ_IIyag

That was beautiful, there's nothing like top notch cellist. I've got a bit of favoritism for Von ewiger Liebe though, as it's the piece I'm currently studying.

Another suggestion for OP would be Schumann. His Dichterliebe is absolutely heartbreaking.

Ich Grolle Nicht

Die alten, bosen Lieder
Quote by stealstrings

C:
Search for HALIDONMUSIC on YouTube. They have a large list of 'Best Of' collections.

For me, no one touches Tchaikovsky.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by sweetdude3000
Liszt and Pagannini were the first shredders

wut

Quote by macashmack
I already have a lot of Bach, Beethoven, and I know "a london symphony" by Williams (I like that piece a lot), and I have some Haydn, some Tchaikovsky, I have "Dance of the Knights" by Sergei Prokofiev, so those are some guys that I like, is there anyone like them? They are all different so if there are people like one of them if you would be so kind as to make a list or something, that would be very appreciated!
I didn't know about Brahms, he's good! Thanks

if you like bach you'd likely like a lot of the other baroque guys- vivaldi (four seasons), boccherini (minuet), albinoni (adagio), handel (arrival of the queen of sheba, water music (hornpipe), music for the royal fireworks (la rejouissance), largo, sarabande... loads of good handel, really).

schubert is a bit like beethoven to my ears- the trout, unfinished symphony, symphony #5 are all good (loads of good schubert too- that goes for all the stuff i'm listing, I'm just listing the really famous stuff)

haydn's a bit like mozart

not so well up on the other ones (i love tchaikovsky, just can't think of anyone offhand who's really like him).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ yea I think most 'shred' guitarists would like Liszt's piano etudes. Listen to Mazeppa first. It gets old after awhile but worth a listening.
Tchaikovsky. I like him because my dear mother was a pro ballerina. So lots of his music is around the house.

Guitar techniques magazine recently did a classical guitar transcription for Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy. So expressive.
This is almost too big a question, can you imagine the answers if you just asked people to recommend you a band to listen to?

Just like pop music all the composers learn off each other and every now and again a new composer came along to move music along to a new 'genre'. At any period there was plenty of creativity but music then was just as much of it's time as it is now. If you like Bach it is likely that you are going to like other 'Baroque' composers like vivaldi, Albinoni and so on. If you find something you like then looking at other music written about the same time is likely to be rewarding.

Having said that there are some real blockbusters out there which are really worth listening to.

In the 19th century there were some fantastic virtuoso concerto's written, fantastic solo instrument over an orchestral background. The grandaddy was Beethoven, have a listen to the Violin Concerto and the Fifth Piano Concerto, then try the Bruch Violin Concerto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwmfkDQ_Ws and the Dvorak Cello Concerto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYbF-Yzdf0

If you like these then get hold of the Jacqueline DuPree version of the Elgar Cello Concerto written just after the end of the first world war, if you don't cry you didn't get it.

Then try something written just after Carmina Burana by Carl Orff, you'll recognise the first few bars but the whole thing is just so exciting (and in places quite funny if you have a translation of the lyrics.)

I'm jealous, you are starting a hell of a journey, enjoy it.
Mahler, Strauss, Stravinsky, Berlioz, Brahms, Mozart, Wagner, Shostakovich, Prokofiev. Those are the big orchestral composers that everyone seems to get into in the first semester of music school (at least where I go). They're all pretty awesome, you really can't go wrong with any of them, though your personal taste may vary. I myself am not really a Wagner fan, which is inopportune because my roommate is a trombonist and Wagner excerpts are their natural anthems.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Messiaen never seems to get mentioned as much as Stravinsky or Schoenberg or whoever else but for my money 'Quartet for the End of the Time' is one of the best (The best?) pieces of 20th century music.

Alban Berg was a cool guy too. That violin concerto is one heck of a piece.

Beethoven is still the bestest though.
Last edited by Nietsche at Sep 29, 2013,