Hey man, this might not be too useful but i'll say what comes to mind

Track: 1

Nice track you have! This is a full blown well produced song right here, I really like the guitar part at 1:21, I don't know how you came up with that but it's cool! The vocals were really good too. Cool break down 3:11. Nice double bass drums at the end!

Track: 2

This one has a more up beat, bass line is really nice. 5:04 I really like this part in the song, the whole band is jamming there. The main riff is really catchy! 5:54 I dig his vocals more here, its more like hes pissed off. Nice clean section at the end, sort of reminds me of "Bon Jovi -Wanted dead or alive". The vocals shined there too.

Track: 3

Cool intro, for some reason it felt like an old school song from the 70's or something, just by the way the riffs was played. 9:12 cool part, 9:29 the guitar and drums part was really cool! 9:36 the bass sounds nice when its chugging along with the drums like that! 10:42 you guys were like grooving and all! good stuff , Great guitar work as well.

Track: 4

I like this intro best out of the other three, cool vocals too. It gives off that mellow feeling. 12:56 really cool part with the keyboard in the background. I do though wish that part was introduced again, it changed the vibe of the song that added something unique . 13:56 Nice solo too!

Great job you guys did, it sounds really pro. Hope you guys go somewhere with this stuff!

-MT
Zerath,
Thank you for the review. Now your tune 'Inglorious Days': I don't think I have heard music quite like this out of Sweden before (not modern/death metal per usual). Vocals are good. The playing is pretty tight. Audio quality is good. A lot of different riffs that are good individually, but could be seen as somewhat random if not familiar with the song. It sounded more cohesive the second time I heard it. Nice recording.
holy crap this is so well done! this is like full on production scale song! Sounds so good! I thoroughly enjoyed the first track just a good solid rock song! I would defnitally put this in my collection! I like the second song aswell how it starts off kinda fast but then you slow it down and bring it back again! very cool! Is is you singing?! I think this deserves a follow!
Thanks for the replies!

Quote by Metal Turtle

I like this intro best out of the other three, cool vocals too. It gives off that mellow feeling. 12:56 really cool part with the keyboard in the background. I do though wish that part was introduced again, it changed the vibe of the song that added something unique . 13:56 Nice solo too!

Great job you guys did, it sounds really pro. Hope you guys go somewhere with this stuff!

-MT

The idea of that song was to have it build to a crescendo so that is why there are no reoccuring parts Yeah hopefully we can get somewhere with it. We recorded it for a week at a recording studio so that is why the quality is so good (and we knew what kind of mix we wanted to pursue).

Quote by aaron aardvark
Zerath,
Thank you for the review. Now your tune 'Inglorious Days': I don't think I have heard music quite like this out of Sweden before (not modern/death metal per usual). Vocals are good. The playing is pretty tight. Audio quality is good. A lot of different riffs that are good individually, but could be seen as somewhat random if not familiar with the song. It sounded more cohesive the second time I heard it. Nice recording.

Thanks! I guess people expect only to hear that type of music from here but glad you liked it!

Quote by ToastedAndButte
holy crap this is so well done! this is like full on production scale song! Sounds so good! I thoroughly enjoyed the first track just a good solid rock song! I would defnitally put this in my collection! I like the second song aswell how it starts off kinda fast but then you slow it down and bring it back again! very cool! Is is you singing?! I think this deserves a follow!

We recorded the 4 song EP for a week it cost us some but it was definately worth it! I am the singer and guitar player yes! And concerning the second song: I love playing with dynamics! If you enjoyed our song you can always like Inglorious Days on Facebook as we plan world domination starting from there!
Track 1: Pretty cool intro. Guitars don't hit super hard when it comes in, but that's not a huge issue. You have a really cool singer. I like the affected guitar part, but then the building bit after that is kinda awkward. Pretty cool heavy riff towards the end, but the guitar could have used some more gain and the bass was really loud. The outro bit is incredibly cool, but really random and then goes back to the heavy riff, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Lots of cool parts but they could transition into each other better.
Track 2: Interesting intro, i like the arpeggiation bit. The tempo change is really awkward, but your chorus is really really really good especially instrumentally, very Foo Fighters. It sounds really big and powerful, but the verse guitar section felt too small by comparison after such a huge chorus. The outro also seems a bit random, but could be transitioned into really well to make it fit more nicely.
Track 3: Pretty cool intro, very driving verse. The transition into the chorus was cleaner than most of the other ones(not completely unawkward though), but the tempo change is still a bit awkward going back into the verse. The proggy section transition was really really cool, and a really interesting sidewinder. I didn't expect to hear something like that and I was glad I did. It was really cool, and well executed, but I would have liked to hear the song end at 11:21 better personally.
Track 4: Really cool guitar intro. Then a really Stone Temple Pilots-y riff. Great vocal harmonies in the bit right after, could have used some cool lead guitar in that section though. Next bit sounds really Red Hot Chili Peppers, with the really cool bass. The arpeggiated guitar in the next bit is really cool at first, but then sounds kinda weird on the last chord. The chorus is really big and cool, but the bass should tone it down just the SLIGHTEST bit for max effectiveness there. Great high note at the end of the chorus too. The guitar part immediately following it is perfect and works perfectly. Ending could have been a bit more dramatic but all in all still pretty cool.

Definitely a solid collection of tunes. It seems like you guys seem to write a bunch of different parts that don't always feel like they should be connected to me. I like almost everything that you wrote as a standalone part, but some parts didn't blend super well to me, usually because of tempo. That's just my 2 cents though. Good luck with everything you guys, I'm gonna throw you guys a like on facebook.
Hey man! Thanks for the crit. Currently listening to "Thy Holy God".

First of all I want to say how much I enjoy the jam band feel of this song. It makes me miss the 90s era of music more than I have in a long time. Secondly, I want to comment on how well the vocalist fits with this kind of music. Overall the song writing and structuring are very solid, no real complaints other than maybe the bass was a tad bit loud? Then again grunge is bass heavy. Good work dude.
Track 1: Pretty cool intro. Guitars don't hit super hard when it comes in, but that's not a huge issue. You have a really cool singer. I like the affected guitar part, but then the building bit after that is kinda awkward. Pretty cool heavy riff towards the end, but the guitar could have used some more gain and the bass was really loud. The outro bit is incredibly cool, but really random and then goes back to the heavy riff, which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. Lots of cool parts but they could transition into each other better.

I can agree that the parts feel a bit unconnected on this song, but we had that thought in mind when creating it so ^^ . I'm happy with the mixing but yeah the guitar could have been quadrupel tracked there, there was no time for it though. Cool that you like my singing! Anything particular about my singing that you liked? overall I agree that the transitions could've been excecuted better for this song.

Track 2: Interesting intro, i like the arpeggiation bit. The tempo change is really awkward, but your chorus is really really really good especially instrumentally, very Foo Fighters. It sounds really big and powerful, but the verse guitar section felt too small by comparison after such a huge chorus. The outro also seems a bit random, but could be transitioned into really well to make it fit more nicely.

What do you mean by arpeggiation? I love the fact that we do a half-tempo we didn't record this EP with a metronome so there's room for some dynamics when it comes to the tempo.

Track 3: Pretty cool intro, very driving verse. The transition into the chorus was cleaner than most of the other ones(not completely unawkward though), but the tempo change is still a bit awkward going back into the verse. The proggy section transition was really really cool, and a really interesting sidewinder. I didn't expect to hear something like that and I was glad I did. It was really cool, and well executed, but I would have liked to hear the song end at 11:21 better personally.

I think we got a really smooth transition by that riff in the end of the chorus but I see your point .

Track 4: Really cool guitar intro. Then a really Stone Temple Pilots-y riff. Great vocal harmonies in the bit right after, could have used some cool lead guitar in that section though. Next bit sounds really Red Hot Chili Peppers, with the really cool bass. The arpeggiated guitar in the next bit is really cool at first, but then sounds kinda weird on the last chord. The chorus is really big and cool, but the bass should tone it down just the SLIGHTEST bit for max effectiveness there. Great high note at the end of the chorus too. The guitar part immediately following it is perfect and works perfectly. Ending could have been a bit more dramatic but all in all still pretty cool.

I've heard the STP reference from a lot of people, even though I don't listen to them myself (I've heard some songs though). The mindset we tried to keep when going into the studio was to record it so that we could do it justice live, as we're only three persons in the band I didn't want to add too much lead-guitar work. The fact that the bass is so loud in the mix is probably due to the fact that we're all big Rush fans, and our bassist always does these cool melodies on the bass.

Thanks for the constructive criticism! improving at writing transitions is something I definately want to do. Thanks for the like!
Quote by wanderlust435
Hey man! Thanks for the crit. Currently listening to "Thy Holy God".

First of all I want to say how much I enjoy the jam band feel of this song. It makes me miss the 90s era of music more than I have in a long time. Secondly, I want to comment on how well the vocalist fits with this kind of music. Overall the song writing and structuring are very solid, no real complaints other than maybe the bass was a tad bit loud? Then again grunge is bass heavy. Good work dude.

Yeah it got that feel I guess It's definately one of my favorites - I am most satisfied with my lyrics on that song tbh. Who doesn't miss the 90's era right? Thanks for the compliment!
Thanks for the crit on our song man. Really appreciate it!

I'm currently on 'Thy Holy God' and so far I think the EP is awesome. The production is top notch on the songs and they seem to be well structured and well thought out!
I don't really have much criticism because I like what I'm hearing. If I was to say something though I would say that the bass is pretty 'loud' but that could be something you guys were going for!

Just finished listening to the whole thing.. Dreaming on the Edge is my favourite. Awesome intro!
Thanks for criting our whole EP! Appreciate it. Our EP was recorded independently in my home studio.

Listening to Hollow. I like the production style, has a bit of a raw feel. Sweet bass sound, nice and gritty! Vocals sound good i like the whispered type vocals in the verse, as well as that half a scream. To me i get some Protest the Hero influences but hard to compare your music to other bands. I would have prefered a little more gain on the guitars. Thats the only real complaint i have with the song. Great job! sorry i only have time to crit one song.
Very cool stuff man. I'm not a big fan of this genre (slow tempo rock), but I do sense the progressive elements which I'm a fan of. I usually find this kind of stuff boring but you have managed to keep the compositions interesting. The bass has a good sound but could sit lower in mix (slightly louder right now). The guitars could be recorded better, they need more tightness and gain. The vocalist is great though, good range and control.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1618478
Quote by ryan19
Listening to Hollow. I like the production style, has a bit of a raw feel. Sweet bass sound, nice and gritty! Vocals sound good i like the whispered type vocals in the verse, as well as that half a scream. To me i get some Protest the Hero influences but hard to compare your music to other bands. I would have prefered a little more gain on the guitars. Thats the only real complaint i have with the song. Great job! sorry i only have time to crit one song.

I've never listened to them but I'll check them out I'm the mainwriter so my main influences are bands like Muse, Biffy Clyro, Queens of the stone age, Dream theater, Arcane Roots and Rush. I'll bring the gain live .

Quote by TheProgWay
Very cool stuff man. I'm not a big fan of this genre (slow tempo rock), but I do sense the progressive elements which I'm a fan of. I usually find this kind of stuff boring but you have managed to keep the compositions interesting. The bass has a good sound but could sit lower in mix (slightly louder right now). The guitars could be recorded better, they need more tightness and gain. The vocalist is great though, good range and control.

I don't know if I would call it slow-tempo rock but I guess it depends what you're comparing it too thanks for the crit, I'll check out your stuff!
Quote by James_Het_Rules

This is one of the best demos I've heard for quite awhile on this site. Very well composed, and mixed. Looking forward to hearing some more from you guys!

Thanks for all the awesome crit! If I would criticize something about my own performance it would be that I need to improve on guitar soloing.
Like everyone has said, very well done. Great mixing, certainly more than I can do. The style of music isn't a style I'm too familiar with, but I can tell you know what you're doing.

I appreciate your feedback on my song. Keep up the good work!
Overall first impression: This is well produced and well mixed. Very good singing and playing.

I personally am not keen on the guitar tone, but that is a taste thing. I probably would have gone more for a cranked clean amp and just played hard. A bit more in your face. Then maybe a bit of saturation on the vocals. But again, that is what I would do if I produced it. I'm not saying it is bad. You can be proud of this.

Track two has a really fantastic intro. Instantly gripping. I maybe would have made this track 1. This song is very catchy and I bet it is great live.

The guitar playing here is very good. Acoustic guitar sounds great.

Track 3. I feel the guitar tone works much better here. Love the bass, love the energy, love the hooky chorus. This song has some really cool guitar and is very catchy.

ooo and now the bridge bit. Very very nice. I bet this is fun to play! Its fun to hear.

and now track 4 is on. Very cool intro. Nice atmosphere. Nice dynamics and feel. Good melodies, this has a good anthemic feel to it.

Over all a well written, well performed and very consistent EP. Well done.

I am now following you on SC to.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32015651#post32015651

https://soundcloud.com/jakequincey/sets/original-demos

This is not an EP. Just some demo's of my songs. An EP is currently in the pipeline though.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Oct 21, 2013,
Quote by jkielq91
Overall first impression: This is well produced and well mixed. Very good singing and playing.

I personally am not keen on the guitar tone, but that is a taste thing. I probably would have gone more for a cranked clean amp and just played hard. A bit more in your face. Then maybe a bit of saturation on the vocals. But again, that is what I would do if I produced it. I'm not saying it is bad. You can be proud of this.

Track two has a really fantastic intro. Instantly gripping. I maybe would have made this track 1. This song is very catchy and I bet it is great live.

The guitar playing here is very good. Acoustic guitar sounds great.

Track 3. I feel the guitar tone works much better here. Love the bass, love the energy, love the hooky chorus. This song has some really cool guitar and is very catchy.

ooo and now the bridge bit. Very very nice. I bet this is fun to play! Its fun to hear.

and now track 4 is on. Very cool intro. Nice atmosphere. Nice dynamics and feel. Good melodies, this has a good anthemic feel to it.

Over all a well written, well performed and very consistent EP. Well done.

I am now following you on SC to.

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32015651#post32015651

https://soundcloud.com/jakequincey/sets/original-demos

This is not an EP. Just some demo's of my songs. An EP is currently in the pipeline though.

This was the first time we actually recorded in a studio so we tried to find a sound close to what we have live. The main difference in the guitar tone live is that I have way more gain so it sounds more in your face . Will check it out!
Quote by Zerath
This was the first time we actually recorded in a studio so we tried to find a sound close to what we have live. The main difference in the guitar tone live is that I have way more gain so it sounds more in your face . Will check it out!

Do you have any videos of you live? I'd love to see them.
Quote by jkielq91
Do you have any videos of you live? I'd love to see them.

We haven't performed live yet with these songs, As both me and the bassist are on our Exchange semester right now, but we will get back in December and then we will try to get some gigs . You can like our page on facebook as we will probably post a live video there in the future . Live I shall bring the gain!
On "Hollow",

Songwise it has good attitude value and the individual parts sound like a blast, but there's not cohesion and not enough dynamic...its intresting if you listen in random 10 second bits, but as something to follow from beginning to end it lacks..."flow"

the mix is a but clusterphobic as if there's some room to the side you are not taking advantage of...if you are looking for it, its the room the backing vocals are occupying in the second verse...some guitar energy can be placed there to make the track more expansive. If it was me i'd tone down the bass a bit as it's mostly just laying down the groove.

The snare seems to boxy, try listening in a low volume and you will see what I mean, some low-mid energy that when taken away can let up pressure pushing on the awesome sounding guitars (150 hz-300hz ish sounds about right).

I hope you well in your next endeavors man! Band playing sounds tight and awesome
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

Track 1:
Sounds very professional! This might as well have been in the radio. This is not really my style, but everything sounds very crisp (save for the things that aren't supposed to be crisp). I don't think it's all that original, but you are delivering a well-known product very well. The last part gives it a bit of an edge and some character!

Track 2:
Digging the half-tempo switches here. Really enjoying this one! Great sound quality as before, although I think the vocals need a bit of treble. I'm by no means an expert (if you listen to our music, you will know!). The acoustic guitar part at the end is really awesome. Definitely my favourite.

Track 3:
Was swaying a bit to this one. The second half reminds me of some Black Sabbath or something. Love when it erupts. And again, nice last part.

Track 4:
Starts out differently which is good. In a guitar-oriented band, it can be quite hard to make the songs stand out, but I think you're doing a pretty good job with that. Especially this one. Great one to end with!

Good job overall. The playing is tight, the vocals are good, and you guys have a knack for writing tunes.

We've got a 4-track (unfinished EP) and although only one of the songs is even remotely rockish, and probably not your style at all, I hope you will have a listen anyway. If you fall asleep during the slow songs, we will take it as a compliment:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32021076#post32021076
Reminds me of QOTSA. The sound of the drums and guitars is excellent, however the vocals need a little reverb because now they're somehow dry and out of the mix. The playing is perfect too. The songs are catchy and well constructed, I sense a Black Sabbath vibe. All in all great and consistent EP, wish you luck!