Hey guys,
I am looking into customising my Ibanez RGA32 and was wondering whether or not I could add a Bigsby Vibrato or something simular onto it. I haven't seen it before and have done a fair bit of research into trying to find someone who has done it. My question is; Can you have that sort of tremolo on such a thin guitar? And if so, are there any reccomendations on types of tremolos?
Many thanks guys!

JakobiPhoenix
Not easily.

Way more bother and expense than it's worth on a fairly cheap guitar.

If you really want a bigsby (or even any trem, really) it'd be cheaper and easier to get one which already has a tremolo stock. It probably won't cost you any more and you'll have two guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's not the thinness of the guitar that would be the biggest problem, it's the low-profile, single piece hardware setup that the guitar is built around. It's a round hole, and the Bigsby is a square peg. One of them has to change and it's not going to be the one made of cast aluminum.

A Bigsby is a tailpiece for a 2-part system; you still need a bridge. Your guitar doesn't have a bridge, it's got a single unit that serves as both. On top of that, it's a low-profile unit, so the strings do not rise very far off the body. Both of those things are basically the antithesis of what a Bigsby guitar is.

In order to install a Bigsby, you'd need to drill holes for a bridge (probably a Tune-o-Matic style) where the current hardware is; then you'd have to drill for the actual Bigsby unit (probably a B5; the long-tail units would probably not fit); and then you'd have to recess both the bridge and the Bigsby into the top of the guitar so that you could keep the string height low, because Bigsby units and TOM bridges are meant for guitars with an angled neck for a high-profile bridge. Yours has a flat neck for a low profile. You'd have to route out a huge portion of the face of the guitar, and you would run the risk of poking screws out the back when mounting the tailpiece. After all that, it might impossible to get the hardware recessed far enough, so you'd be stuck with a ruined guitar with permanently unplayable action.

So, I can't say that it's impossible, because I just told you how to do it, but it is wildly impractical and a really, really bad idea. Consider instead getting a used Agile or Epiphone SG or LP style guitar and installing a Bigsby on one of those.
it'd be a huge headache.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Not easily.

Way more bother and expense than it's worth on a fairly cheap guitar.

If you really want a bigsby (or even any trem, really) it'd be cheaper and easier to get one which already has a tremolo stock. It probably won't cost you any more and you'll have two guitars.

+1
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback
Shall look into installing one onto the Epiphone SG instead!
Thanks again \m/
Should be a breeze on an Epi SG as long as you're careful drilling. I think the B5/B50 is the model you want for that guitar.
I have a surface mount khaler from the 80's. That is still potentialy too high profile. That would be the only shot, but honestly it would still not bother with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by JakobiPhoenix
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback
Shall look into installing one onto the Epiphone SG instead!
Thanks again \m/

Look into the Vibramate and spoiler. They make installation and string changes a lot easier. Plus, there's nothing to drill.