I really hope I'm not posting in the wrong section here, I'm brand new to the forum and I'm looking for some guidance on how to go about my first pedal board.

I usually guitar live weekly, I mostly play rock, which is what I want the board to be geared to, but I also occasionally do some jazz-like things. I'm looking for a pedal board built up of 5 - 6 pedals, and I currently know nothing about actually making a board.

I already own a DS-1 Boss distortion pedal and I'm looking to probably have some delay, and something that will enable me to do swells and whatnot. When it comes to power supply, casing, and pedals in general, I'm basically oblivious, so any advice that can be offered is appreciated. I'm looking to spend roughly 500 - 600, will this be enough?

Thanks.
First question to be asked: what amplifier do you use?

That said, are you satisfied with just a simple delay, or do you want to have modulation, oscillation and w/e you think suits best?

I'd normally advise you to invest in a really good power supply and a decent case, but your budget isn't really high enough to throw with the cash. I'd just make a pedalboard yourself (IKEA GORM shelf, there are tutorials around ) and power it with some sort of one spot w/daisy chain.

As far as actual pedals go, what kind of effects are you looking for? It's useless to recommend a good tremolo when you're sure you don't even want one. A tuner and a wah-pedal usually don't hurt to have, but you might already have either or both.

EDIT:
Also, where in the world are you? Just checking to know what is available to you and what currency we're using.
I'm using a Marshall MG100, but a lot of the time I end up going direct into a DI box, so the pedal board doesn't have to be geared to the amp as much. Since I'm just getting pedals and all, I would assume I'd just go for basic pedals, nothing too fancy (seeing as I wouldn't know how to use them.)

The only pedal I currently own is the boss distortion pedal stated above. I would definitely be interested in a tuner, a basic delay, maybe a chorus, and probably a volume pedal, I don't think I'll need wah, considering I don't often play things that would require it.

I'm interested in a case and power supply for sure, if nothing more for the sake of preserving the gear and for convenience, how much more would I have to spend to add that into the mix? I'm in Canada, so I assume most things would be fairly accessible to me.
Currently on my board i have a tuner, delay, chorus, OD/TS, Noise gate, Octave and a EQ pedal.
Personally i dont see the real need for much more than that. Maybe a comp or something rack mounted maybe.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I'd get a tuner, delay, reverb and a volume. Maybe some kind of modulation if you want it.

The MXR Carbon Copy is a nice, easy to use delay pedal that doesn't cost that much and is built well. It'll last a lifetime if you take care of it. For tuner, a Boss TU-2 or TU-2, TC Polytune (Mini) or Korg Pitchblack would be my recommendations. Either will do fine. Whatever works as a volume pedal, really. I have a Boss FV-50 on my board, but Dunlop, Morley and Ernie Ball make good, sturdy volume pedals as well.

For reverb, I don't have any working experience with these, but I've either tested them, or heard other people use them; there's the TC Hall of Fame, Boss RV-5, Digitech DigiVerb, VHT Melo (which is also a tremolo, might come in handy), Digitech Hardwire RV-7, TC Nova Reverb and there are a lot of others at the same range of price.

For pedalcases, I really like the StoneCastle Stevie I used (there are other sizes, of course), but Pedaltrain is also a safe bet. For powering it all, I use Voodoo Labs myself, but a T Rex Fuel Tank Junior could be used as well. Just make sure it has isolated outputs (otherwise, there's not much use in getting a powersupply other than a One Spot).

I don't know Canadian prices, but I figure that if you shop around (and go used for some, if not all, of the stuff), you should be able to afford that.
Thanks, really liking the pedal choices and I'll look into it for sure.
Two question, what is the difference between a Volume Pedal and a Volume Pedal Jr?

And also, do you think I'll need some sort of boost or EQ? Or is that unecessary?
Quote by user943
Thanks, really liking the pedal choices and I'll look into it for sure.
Two question, what is the difference between a Volume Pedal and a Volume Pedal Jr?

And also, do you think I'll need some sort of boost or EQ? Or is that unecessary?

The only thing I can anwser to that is: if possible, bring your amp to a shop and try one or two boost pedal, If you like it, take one. You can get very tone without a boost, lots of player are not using one.
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
I don't know about the MG, but in my experience the AVT took boost pedals really badly. the sound would cut out etc. I wouldn't buy a boost pedal without checking it works acceptably well with your MG.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm not so much worried about amping, because I'm only really ever using the amp at home. Im wondering if it would help me at all while playing else-where, going direct into a system, hooked in by a DI box.
oh ok no worries

I don't have any experience with DI
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I appreciate the heads up though, good stuff to know when purchasing.
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok so, I've done my research based on the recommendations given, and I think this is what I want...

MXR Carbon Copy - Delay
Korg Pitchblack - Tuner
Ernie Ball 6166 - Volume Pedal
TC Hall of Fame - Reverb
Boss DS-1 - Distortion

Is this a solid pedal combo? Which order would they go in? And how big a pedal case / power supply would I need to support them?
But if you're going DI, you're just using the bypassed signal as your clean and your DS-1 as your distorted tone? Look into a modeller if you usually go DI. Such as a POD HD500.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
But if you're going DI, you're just using the bypassed signal as your clean and your DS-1 as your distorted tone? Look into a modeller if you usually go DI. Such as a POD HD500.

What do you mean? I'm basically treating the DI as my amp in a sense, not going into the DI first.
I know. Do you have any sort of preamp before the DI'ing?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Not really, at the moment I'm just going through that distortion pedal. Do I need a pre-amp?
Quote by LaidBack

+1. If you're just plugging your guitar in the board...damn...that's it I guess.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I think I'm gonna stick with the individual pedals and the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr.

My only question now is will I need a Boost or EQ in the chain, or will I be fine without?
Last edited by user943 at Sep 28, 2013,
They're both things that can be nice to have, but by no means necessary, in my opinion. I would however really try out the HD500 if you're going to go DI most of the time. It'll sound way better, probably, unless you're into some kind of garage rock/blues rock Jack White kind of tone.
I'm definitely considering it... I do like the simplicity and old fashioned idea of the individual pedal board, but the HD500 is looking pretty nice, so I'll have to think about it...

If I do end up going individual, does anyone know if I want to use a 250k Volume Pedal, or a 25k, if putting it at the beginning of the chain?
Well, the idea of individual pedals is simple, but for gigging, it can't really get much easier than something like the HD500. Really easy to bring to a gig, easy to set up and easy to use while playing.

With the volume pedal thing, I can't really help, sorry.
here are my recomendations

1.get a new pedal board with a decent Power supply and a hardcase....I bought a used older model and my lead guitarist shelled out the cash and got a new one.....every time I lift his, I hate myself for being cheap!!!.....building yourself or buying old = heavy as hell!!

As for volume and delay I can only recomend these 2
*Dunlop dvp volume pedal (the things massive but I tend to rest my foot on it so it´s nice too know it´s built sterdy)
*DD5 (it´s got the tap tempo...seperate pedal which i can recommend, easier than having it built in)...this is the only pedal I have in the loop....since it´s a time based effect. Your going to need Boss Power supply cause these do not like being daisy chained through the board with other peadals or supplied by cheap Power supplies....they will tell you with their constant "brum"

I use this boost....works really well on Classic dist but really boosts on my Clean channel and hardly noticable on my "metal" channel. I have mine infront of the amp, putting it in the loop boosts the effects/putting it infront of the amp boost the guitar.....your just gunna have to test your boost in both and see which you prefer
*Blackstar Boost (gives a Little more "umph" in the boost, haven´t tried any others but it works well)

and these are just for fun
*Crybaby gcb 95 wah wah (a must have!!)
*Dunlop roto vibe (just for fun.....CCR-Jimi Hendrics

...oh ja, almost forgot...as for a tuner I really love my polytune....i mean "desert island-love"....the thing is just awesome, especially when gigging........spend more time chatting with the audience rather than looking at my feet for 5 minutes trying to find what string is #!!!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Last edited by Blackst4r at Sep 29, 2013,