Hey, I'm a young producer and my studio headphones broke recently. I really need to invest in better headphones considering they were some cheap one's that my brother got me for birthday and happened to be decent enough for me to keep them. They were Panasonic RP-HT225 if anyone wants to know... but the bass response was very weak compared to some of the studio headphones my friends have.

So now I'm looking for a decent quality headphone set with the price between £20-50 (yes Pounds, not dollars pleasexD)Now I know I could invest way more, but I don't have the budget and simply can't afford it considering I'm only in College at the moment, but my mate from my course just bought some pretty decent sounding (think they were AKG but I'm not sure) headphones for about 30/40 pounds and that was the quality I was looking for if not better...

Soooo.. is there any producers that wouldn't mind putting me on a good track? Remember... £20-50 and I want a good bass response as well as a good high frequency reach. Just overall good balance for mixing music.

Here's a set I randomly found and thought was interesting- http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Audio-Technica-ATH-M20-Closed-back-Dynamic-Stereo-Monitor-Headphones/8OV

THANKS!!
Use iPod earphones.

You could mix with £2000 headphones, but how many people are going to listen to it on a pair of them? Mix it to sound good on iPod ones, loads of people use them.
Last edited by whoomit at Sep 27, 2013,
Erm no I want my mix to sound solid in every situation thank you. I want it to sound good in a car, in a club, on a stereo system, decent monitor headphones as well as iPod earphones. Don't ever mix in earphones. That is a rule of a good producer trust me :L

ALSO.... these look really interesting..?
http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Samson-SR950-Studio-Reference-Headphones/SUR
www.ultimateears.com

it's funny 'cos it exists.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I don't quite understand why did you send me that ^ :P again.. I'm looking for studio headphones and I have a budget up to £50 :P
I'd be surprised if you can get anything half decent for studio monitoring in that price range. Ideally you want a completely flat EQ response, and probably closed back with padding to make them comfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I have a set of Audio Technica ATH-M50s, which are fantastic but you would need to more than double your budget for them. If you want something of high quality for music production then these are perfect, I would highly suggest saving for them rather than buying much lower quality ones for £50.

EDIT: Just saw you linked the ATH-M20s, they are the entry level budget version of the M50s.
Last edited by Random3 at Sep 27, 2013,
Quote by Carl LOG
I want a good bass response as well as a good high frequency reach. Just overall good balance for mixing music

The objective is to get a pair that produces as flat frequencies as possible. Having biased bass or treble response will be counter-intuitive.

I suggest a pair of Sony MDR-V6s.
Cheers! Yeah I often work with the spectrum a lot as well so as long as I get used to the sound of headphones I'm fine to mix it really xD But yeah frequency response has to be as flat as possible.. what I meant though I want it to reach the highs easily and the lows too so it doesn't struggle with any frequencies..
At the moment I'm choosing between a Samson SR950 http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Samson-SR950-Studio-Reference-Headphones/SUR

And the AKG K77 http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/AKG-K77-Semi-Closed-Headphones/8P9 (they're the ones my mate has and tbf I really like them...
I feel like they would be a better choice than the Audio Technica ATH M20s..

I really cannot afford more than 50 at the moment. I'm really just looking for a better set that will help me mix better than my Panasonic headphones... They were okay but from 60Hz down the subs just die out.. and they were pretty uncomfortable compared to some headphones I tried tbh:P

BUT.. tbf the Sony MDR-V6 might be a little more expensive but do sound promising...

I think I might go for the Samson SR950 or the Sony MDR-V6 but I'm still not sure.. I know 70 is not a lot but I actually can't afford spending that much money on headphones tbf... I have many other gear to look after and I'm quite low on money..
Keep them coming though! Thanks!!!!
Last edited by Carl LOG at Sep 27, 2013,
See, we actually have a Recording forum on here... where you would have got a load more (and better, save for Random3 and hriday's) responses.

Regardless of your glaring omission to read the forum titles, I'll answer anyway - why do you want 'studio headphones'? Do you intend to mix on them, or do you intend to track with them?

Because if you mean headphones to mix on, well most people would recommend the ATH-M50's but mixing on headphones is far from ideal because a) the left and right channels are completely isolated, thus giving you an exaggerated stereo field and thus tricking you into thinking your panning has allowed far more space than it really has, and b) headphones tend to exaggerate the low end and it is more fatiguing on your ears to mix on headphones for prolonged periods of time.

Unless you absolutely have to, because it's in a class or the room you're in is horrendous, I would advise against mixing on headphones.

If you mean headphones to track with, then the frequency response is far less important as long as you can hear a decent enough approximation of the playback - you should look far more into durability and comfort, in a pair of headphones for tracking. Thus, the typical recommendation is Beyerdynamic DT-100s.

Oh, and even though I like whoomit - please ignore his advice, as that is a nonsense misconception people who can't afford, or don't want to spend money on, a decent pair of monitors believe or try to believe so they can sleep easier at night. Mixing on a cheap pair of earphones is a terrible idea, as you have no concept of how the mix will sound on anything else. All you're doing is mixing for a lowest common denominator, on the lowest common denominator. Instead, mixing on the most accurate monitoring system you can allows you to be certain the mix is lacking any huge problems across ALL listening environments, and that is far more important unless you're gonna release a separate mix of a song, called 'iPod mix!' (and even then, it would only suit iPod earphones of a certain condition).

Quote by K'Nuckles
I just got a pair of Sony Zx600s, 6hz-25k Hz, on sale in pc world. They used to be £50 but someone knocked £15 off.

That range alone is a pretty useless figure, as it gives no indication of the variation in amplitude across that range. Ignoring the fact that no human can hear 6-20Hz, or above 20kHz, save maybe the 1 in a billion person who can hear maybe a few Hz beyond 20kHz at birth, I doubt the headphones give any meaningful detail at 6Hz.

But really, you should get some monitors - so much better.

This is very true though, good man
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Yeahh I know I want to invest in monitors eventually, but I need headphones for college too cause I'm doing a Music Technology course... :P Need them for production in class like..
and I'm not sure about the ones you said.. they don't look as comfortable as the other's I was looking at... but thanks!
Quote by DisarmGoliath
See, we actually have a Recording forum on here... where you would have got a load more (and better, save for Random3's) responses.

From the 10 or so active users on there?
If it's just to sit in class a few times a week, and learn basic techniques/tasks in a DAW, you really don't need a fancy set of headphones... when I was in a similar position, back in 2008, I just took a pair of £30 Sennheiser headphones with me. Didn't matter if they got mashed up in my bag, although ironically they still work as normal to this day.

If you're doing any serious mixing, e.g. for a commercial release or for coursework, book some time in one of the college's studios/mix rooms and get to grips with the proper environment; it'll help you immensely in the long run.
Audio Technica M-150s.

I've compared these with seinheisers, adn I find seins to be a bit bass heavy at higher volumes, even when running them otu of my monitors.
Quote by TheChaz

From the 10 or so active users on there?

There's far more users who actively use the Recordings forum (I'm one of the mods by the way, so I am aware of the regulars over there) and even if TS had got a handful of replies they would have been far better than "use iPod earphones to mix on", and would have pointed out all the issues with mixing on headphones.

Oh, and he also could have just looked through a few pages of the forum, and found that the question has been answered plenty of times in the last few weeks.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
See, we actually have a Recording forum on here... where you would have got a load more (and better, save for Random3's) responses.

Regardless of your glaring omission to read the forum titles, I'll answer anyway - why do you want 'studio headphones'? Do you intend to mix on them, or do you intend to track with them?

Because if you mean headphones to mix on, well most people would recommend the ATH-M50's but mixing on headphones is far from ideal because a) the left and right channels are completely isolated, thus giving you an exaggerated stereo field and thus tricking you into thinking your panning has allowed far more space than it really has, and b) headphones tend to exaggerate the low end and it is more fatiguing on your ears to mix on headphones for prolonged periods of time.

Unless you absolutely have to, because it's in a class or the room you're in is horrendous, I would advise against mixing on headphones.

If you mean headphones to track with, then the frequency response is far less important as long as you can hear a decent enough approximation of the playback - you should look far more into durability and comfort, in a pair of headphones for tracking. Thus, the typical recommendation is Beyerdynamic DT-100s.

Oh, and even though I like whoomit - please ignore his advice, as that is a nonsense misconception people who can't afford, or don't want to spend money on, a decent pair of monitors believe or try to believe so they can sleep easier at night. Mixing on a cheap pair of earphones is a terrible idea, as you have no concept of how the mix will sound on anything else. All you're doing is mixing for a lowest common denominator, on the lowest common denominator. Instead, mixing on the most accurate monitoring system you can allows you to be certain the mix is lacking any huge problems across ALL listening environments, and that is far more important unless you're gonna release a separate mix of a song, called 'iPod mix!' (and even then, it would only suit iPod earphones of a certain condition).

Well I was looking for the right forum for ages but just didn't know where so I decided to put it in the Pit.. don't think I noticed the Recording forum xP

And well as I said it's for mixing mostly, I might use it for some tracking but that's some secondary job I really need headphones for mixing. And yeah I have to use headphones because 1 I can't afford monitors, 2 I need headphones for College to mix in class AS WELL as just listening to music and that when I want to :P

And about the Beyerdynamic DT-100... well I definitely cannot afford ones for a £100 :/ Yes I'm poor xD hahah
The cheapest pair I can recommend is audio-technica m30s, I use these a lot while mixing, combined with some cheapish monitors. I have other headphones laying around in the 60-100 dollar range, but I go to these a lot when starting something.

I used them for an electronic production class online from berklee, used them almost exclusively as my headphones.
Last edited by stratkat at Sep 27, 2013,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
If it's just to sit in class a few times a week, and learn basic techniques/tasks in a DAW, you really don't need a fancy set of headphones...

I'm not even learning there it's all just for the qualification xD I know how to do everything they tell me to :P
Quote by Carl LOG
Well I was looking for the right forum for ages but just didn't know where so I decided to put it in the Pit.. don't think I noticed the Recording forum xP

And well as I said it's for mixing mostly, I might use it for some tracking but that's some secondary job I really need headphones for mixing. And yeah I have to use headphones because 1 I can't afford monitors, 2 I need headphones for College to mix in class AS WELL as just listening to music and that when I want to :P

And about the Beyerdynamic DT-100... well I definitely cannot afford ones for a £100 :/ Yes I'm poor xD hahah

Read my second post, then

Also, the DT-100s are a rec. for tracking - I would never advise mixing on them, so don't worry about being able to afford them. I really suggest you just buy a cheap pair of headphones, learn the basics (are you a first year student?) and save for a pair of decent entry level monitors in the mean time. Any coursework you have to do early on won't be very harshly graded, as they would expect people to still listen to mixes the same way the average listener would, and will likely be more concerned with you demonstrating techniques and understanding signal flow in the DAW/what different things do etc.

Edit: You just mentioned you're not new to it all... in which case you really should start saving for some monitors.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Read my second post, then

Also, the DT-100s are a rec. for tracking - I would never advise mixing on them, so don't worry about being able to afford them. I really suggest you just buy a cheap pair of headphones, learn the basics (are you a first year student?) and save for a pair of decent entry level monitors in the mean time. Any coursework you have to do early on won't be very harshly graded, as they would expect people to still listen to mixes the same way the average listener would, and will likely be more concerned with you demonstrating techniques and understanding signal flow in the DAW/what different things do etc.

Edit: You just mentioned you're not new to it all... in which case you really should start saving for some monitors.

No I'm in second year now... And I know it's not about the whole class thing I just want to be able to mix properly at home as well as take them to college and have them for mixing my work there/practicing in bands or whatever....:P Too many people are telling me to get monitors... Don't get me wrong, but if I needed monitors I'd save up for monitors.. right now I'm not thinking about them, but I know I will get some eventually.. just not yet:P I just want some decent studio headphones xD
Quote by DisarmGoliath
There's far more users who actively use the Recordings forum (I'm one of the mods by the way, so I am aware of the regulars over there) and even if TS had got a handful of replies they would have been far better than "use iPod earphones to mix on", and would have pointed out all the issues with mixing on headphones.

Oh, and he also could have just looked through a few pages of the forum, and found that the question has been answered plenty of times in the last few weeks.

I was just avin a chuckle m8. Although I've never gotten incredibly useful replies (or that many) replies when I've used the recordings forum.
^^^^^^^^^
Mainly so I can get along with my work in college as well as out of it :P Then I have some guitar gear to get, an electronic drum kit as well as a 5 string bass.. Monitors will come later xD

this thread really just blew up I can't even follow anymore xD Soooo... at the moment I'm after the Samson SR950 unless somebody can give me better ones for a similar price? AND WHY (£40)
Last edited by Carl LOG at Sep 27, 2013,
Ok, I appreciate that but you don't seem to be getting this... there's no such thing as 'studio headphones' for mixing, save a few niche products aimed at beginners. There are three applicable categories of headphones, at a push - 4 - if you consider one category as 'the cheap, rubbish stuff'.

1) Hi-Fi headphones - designed for people who like listening to music on headphones, or want to have portable audio at a good quality. Not for mixing.

2) 'Mixing headphones' - typically headphones similar to above, but with more emphasis on a flat frequency response rather than one that flatters music. E.g. Audio Technica ATH-M50

3) Headphones for tracking - headphones designed to be rugged, and comfortable for prolonged use. E.g. Beyer DT-100.

4) Crap that is aimed at beginners or fools - headphones that aren't audiophile quality, but generally cheaply-made stuff that doesn't really offer much other than being portable. Typically worn as a fashion statement, too. E.g. Beats by Dre.

'Studio headphones' could refer to either 2 or 3 and is a bit confusing; nonetheless headphones are not ideally-suited to mixing music on.

I know you're not wanting to read this, but it is really a better idea to get some passable monitors now while you still have student loans or subsidised learning/don't have bills to pay/whatever.

Doesn't have to be hugely expensive - Equator D5's or KRK Rokit 6's would more than suffice - but those shouldn't prove a problem for you to save up for over a period of maybe 6 months, if you're not employed/do actually pay bills and rent.
Quote by TheChaz
I was just avin a chuckle m8. Although I've never gotten incredibly useful replies (or that many) replies when I've used the recordings forum.

I'll let you off then... this time >.>

Depends what you ask, and how you ask it. If you ever have brief questions, it's usually better to ask in the Recording Chat Thread, as all the regulars will see that in their User CP when they log on, and are more likely to respond.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Ok, I appreciate that but you don't seem to be getting this... there's no such thing as 'studio headphones' for mixing, save a few niche products aimed at beginners. There are three applicable categories of headphones, at a push - 4 - if you consider one category as 'the cheap, rubbish stuff'.

1) Hi-Fi headphones - designed for people who like listening to music on headphones, or want to have portable audio at a good quality. Not for mixing.

2) 'Mixing headphones' - typically headphones similar to above, but with more emphasis on a flat frequency response rather than one that flatters music. E.g. AKG ATH-M50

3) Headphones for tracking - headphones designed to be rugged, and comfortable for prolonged use. E.g. Beyer DT-100.

4) Crap that is aimed at beginners or fools - headphones that aren't audiophile quality, but generally cheaply-made stuff that doesn't really offer much other than being portable. Typically worn as a fashion statement, too. E.g. Beats by Dre.

'Studio headphones' could refer to either 2 or 3 and is a bit confusing; nonetheless headphones are not ideally-suited to mixing music on.

I know you're not wanting to read this, but it is really a better idea to get some passable monitors now while you still have student loans or subsidised learning/don't have bills to pay/whatever.

Doesn't have to be hugely expensive - Equator D5's or KRK Rokit 6's would more than suffice - but those shouldn't prove a problem for you to save up for over a period of maybe 6 months, if you're not employed/do actually pay bills and rent.

I don't have student loans:/ I rely completely on my parents.. which is embarrassing.. and sorry my bad actually.. I meant Mixing Headphones :P And monitors is a sure thing to tick, but if I was saving up for some now I wouldn't be able to do literally ANYTHING for the time being... and I'm used to mixing in headphones, I know it's not the most professional of ways but it does the job for me, if I get better with headphones I'll be even better when I get monitors I guess... Thanks though!!:P