Hi, I've been playing guitar for around a year, the first amp I ever bought was a roland micro cube, but I recently upgraded to a tech 21, I always had trouble with trying to play fast "shred" on my old amp but on my new one its so much easier and the notes come out so much clearer! I was just wondering, what is it about small practice amps that gives them a good rhythm tone but a terrible lead tone?
I'm not sure that's actually true, but the micro cube is rather small and probably just had muddy distortion, which is especially a problem if you were pushing the volume or using tons of gain.

What Tech 21 did you upgrade to?
Quote by unbornsea1
what is it about small practice amps that gives them a good rhythm tone but a terrible lead tone?

that is one way to see things i guess. i don't think this blanket statement applies to everything.

small, cheap practice amps in general are made with cheap parts and don't use the best construction techniques. the purpose of most beginner/practice amps is to provide some amplification for a guitar at a price point that is readily accessible to a young/beginner guitarist.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
It all depends on what style you're playing. I have a 10 watt Kustom practice amp that I love. The distortion sounds like roadkill, but I've never heard another amp that sounds just like it.
Its all relative to the speaker size I would have to say, and then after that how the amp actually distorts and stuff. Being solid state they don't saturate and distort like a overdriven tube amp they use digital clipping to produce a similar effect. When you deal with small practice amps especially combo amps they tend to have really small speakers even little tiny 3-4 inch speakers depending on the size of the amp. Such a small speaker wont sound bad when being mildly pushed but when you push it hard under a lead situation it will probably start having a hard time. Not all amps will have this problem, and sometimes you can do stuff to fix it, its a practice amp so you can't expect the world from it.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by gumbilicious
the purpose of most beginner/practice amps is to provide some amplification for a guitar at a price point that is readily accessible to a young/beginner guitarist.

This is how I've always looked at it.

A practice amp isn't really designed to get an amazing tone, but more so the player can simply hear what he's practicing at a reasonable volume and be affordable.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.