I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now and I've recently joined my first band. We're currently playing modern rock and classic rock covers (Halestorm, Alice Cooper, Whitesnake etc), but are also writing our own material, aiming to eventually be able to play sets consisting of mainly original songs with a couple of covers thrown in for good measure. I'm also the only guitar player in the band.

My equipment currently consists of a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 FR-S, a Korg AX3000G multi-effects (borrowed from a friend) and a Crate GT1200H with Crate 4x12 speakers (full stack).

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to pedals and getting a good tone, so I have a few questions...

1) I want a nice hard rock tone for my amp. I've tried and tried but I can't seem to get a tone that I'm 100% happy with. It's got three channels (Solo, Rhythm and Clean) so if somebody could give me an indication on where to start with the Solo and Rhythm channels, that would be awesome!

2) As mentioned before, I'm currently borrowing the multi-effects I'm using. It seems ok, but some of the effects on it sound a bit pants... As a result, I'm thinking of buying individual pedals for myself but again, I have no idea where to begin! The effects I currently use on the multi-effects are distortion, chorus, delay, tremolo, reverb, wah and a compressor. Any recommendations for good mid-range pedals of these kinds?

I've done a bit of research and was thinking about maybe getting an EQ pedal too. Are they useful though?

3) Is my current equipment actually any good..? Is it the reason why I'm struggling to get a good tone or is that just because I'm new to this kind of thing? Again, suggestions to improve my gear (if necessary) would be much appreciated!

4) Focusing more on the band side... (sorry if this is in the wrong section, figured I'd just tag it on the end ) Being the only guitarist, what can I/we do to make our sound fuller? For example, when I'm playing a solo, there's no rhythm guitar (obviously) to back it up. I'm thinking of buying a harmonizer pedal to give it an extra 'layer' but I have two worries:

a) Are they any good?

b) Maybe I'm being stupid, but from what I've looked at, it seems you have to set the pedal to the key you're playing in for it to function properly? My problem is with songs in different keys, would I need to bend down and alter the dials to suit the song..?

Sorry for the length of this post... I really haven't got a clue about tones or equipment and so could really do with some help!

Oh, and (I can't remember if I mentioned before) I'm aiming for mid-range quality equipment. Thanks in advance!
get a (suitable for the genres you want to play) tube amp. there's your problem, most likely.

EDIT: what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm looking at a £500-£700 budget for the amp...

Any recommendations for a good tube one?
If I were you, Id get a new amp head. If I remember correctly, that amp isn't all that great even by crate standards. And you said you didn't like the tone. Sell it on Craigslist or whatever and buy a good used tube amp. If you use fx, a vyper tube should work fine.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
sure, that will easily be doable with £500-£700.

How badly do you need cleans? Most amps (at least at that kind of budget) aimed at those type of tones tend to have no or mediocre clean channels, but I'm not sure if it makes sense getting somethign with better cleans if the distortion isn't as good (for what you want to play, i'm guessing distortion is more important).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, thanks Lucky

Dave, clean isn't too much of a worry... I'd like to have it there (I use the clean channel for one or two songs) but the dirty channels are more of a priority.
awesome

i say this in most of these threads, but jet city is hard to beat on a budget in europe. Either thomann or jet city's UK online store sell the 50 watt head for ~£250. It's more of a crunch channel combined with a high gain lead channel, but the normal channel can get clean-ish.

combine that with a good cab (harley benton g212vintage on thomann is good on the cheap, around £160) and you're good to go. Well, a speaker cable, too. And an od pedal to use as a boost (bad monkey is pretty good, ~£30 on thomann).

you can spend more than that but, off the top of my head anyway, you might have to spend more than £500-£700 to get anything which is appreciably better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, thanks for the help Dave. Much appreciated

Just one more thing, going back to my question about the harmonizer pedal, are they actually any good? And I presume that like I said, you have to dial in the key that you're playing in to get it to function correctly?
Quote by TheLoudOne24
Ok, thanks for the help Dave. Much appreciated

Just one more thing, going back to my question about the harmonizer pedal, are they actually any good? And I presume that like I said, you have to dial in the key that you're playing in to get it to function correctly?

Harmonizer pedals sound cool but its a unique effect, a tube amp may will give you much better tone (most of the time) so you may not feel like you need a pedal to sound more full.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
never tried a harmoniser

Bear in mind the jet city isn't your only option- if you don't need the high gain as much, a traynor ycv50b combo (also on thomann, around £450-£500 depending on the exact exchange rate) is a nice all-round amp too, made in canada.

there are probably other options, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Like most fx, some people like 'em and some people hate 'em. I think they're ok for a few things but overall not a very versatile pedal in general. It sounds great in the Radiohead song My Iron Lung.
Yes you adjust for key and I believe octave up and down on most or all. Granted I've never bothered with any but a pog a few times.
Definitely don't get a harmonizer, they're a toy more than anything, get some really cool tones with an octave pedal but if you feel your missing something from the rhythm section blame your bassist.

For pedals you won't be needing a distortion, EQ or compressor if you get the right amp, im raving about the orange current production line at the moment, with the OR15 being my new favourite.
Pedals are much the same, midrange manufacturers; Boss, MXR, EHX. I tend to go for EHX stuff myself, Boss are very good too but MXR has some great products (Carbon Copy) but quite an inconsistent range (most of their overdrives sound poo). I'd get a dunlop crybaby for the wah, they are pretty awesome.

Im curious why you have such a beautiful guitar yet crappy amp
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off